Witten has screwed the Cowboys twice now

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CyberB0b, Mar 1, 2019.

1. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Village Idiot

9,632 Messages
    9,248 Likes Received
    Last year, he retired unexpectedly, leaving the Cowboys to go into the offseason with subpar TE talent. This year, he throws a monkey wrench in the plans again, at the last minute, and puts the franchise in an odd position.

He's going to leech snaps from any TE they may draft, and hinder the development of the guys already on the roster. He's definitely taken them out of the free agency mix for TEs.

2. AmericanCowboy

AmericanCowboy Well-Known Member

2,816 Messages
    4,032 Likes Received
    Agreed 1000000%.

lopey, Hennessy_King and 75boyz like this.
  3. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

38,223 Messages
    37,367 Likes Received
    Boo Hiss

Ranching, JoeKing and Melonfeud like this.
  4. Streetwise

Streetwise Well-Known Member

9,869 Messages
    10,422 Likes Received
    So it would have been OK for him to take snaps from developing TE's last year, but this season it's a bad thing?

5. charron

charron Well-Known Member

3,872 Messages
    4,197 Likes Received
    the boys are not screwed. This is what they have been doing for several years now. Sign a FA cheap/ short term and draft a guy if needed, only they already drafted a mid round guy in schultz.

6. Swanny

Swanny Well-Known Member

1,872 Messages
    2,494 Likes Received
    Give me Witten. I love watching the slowest human on Earth get open on every play.

7. camelboy

camelboy mgcowboy

3,831 Messages
    2,069 Likes Received
    After sleeping on it, I too don't like it. We moved on already. Why get back?

Call me crazy, but I prefer the TEs we have now plus whoever we draft

Prepare yourselves for more flags on holding and false starts

:cool:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

12,834 Messages
    3,424 Likes Received
    Meh, if that's the case the team screwed themselves. They didn't have to say yes.

And his contract is really a show me contract - nothing in it says they HAVE to play him. Heck even if he is no good they could cut him (though I doubt it - I'd sooner just use him as a reserve/backup).

9. HomeBiscuit

HomeBiscuit Well-Known Member

220 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    Didn't realize February was "at the last minute" but OK

ConceptCoop, CapnCook, GenoT and 5 others like this.
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

95,163 Messages
    20,868 Likes Received
    I don't give a damn about the so called hindering a players development. I care about winning games, if guys are out there making plays they will see more playing time and if they are not getting it done as was the case most of last year then we need to get someone in who can make the plays. Dallas used 4 TE last and combined they could not produce to the level Witten did in 2017.

11. aria

aria Well-Known Member

9,868 Messages
    9,673 Likes Received
    Ridiculous. This team potentially has a small window to win it all with our current group of players and Witten just solidified one less position we need to worry about this off season. With all the contracts coming up, the few areas we need to address on defense and starting off with a 2nd round pick, who exactly do you think we should have got in FA or the draft?

12. glimmerman

glimmerman Well-Known Member

12,563 Messages
    12,988 Likes Received
    The FO is putting a bandaid on the position so they can sign D-Law and maybe ET and extend others. Go after additional help in the DL and OL.

It’s not a terrible idea as we know what we are getting. As Dak is starting to use the middle of the field he at least has a outlet instead of holding the ball and taking sacks. If Dak will use it.

That is the only positive spin I can put on it. Jarwin and Shultz were doing better toward the end of the year. If Witten is taking some snaps then so be it. He gets open. Everyone complains about the 3 yard catches. That’s usually because he is working back towards the QB.

Melonfeud, Fletch and RGV_C_Los like this.
  13. Rockport

Rockport AmberBeer Zone Supporter

14,901 Messages
    12,642 Likes Received
    Fresh meat for the haters. Love it. You’ll disappear by mid-season.

14. acr731

acr731 Well-Known Member

2,450 Messages
    5,303 Likes Received
    A few more screw jobs and he'll catch up with Garrett

15. Nightman

Nightman Capologist

27,135 Messages
    24,061 Likes Received
    Thats what I said

The new league year hasn't even started yet

Irvin88_4life and HomeBiscuit like this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

29,236 Messages
    23,102 Likes Received
    Ya, I will be honest - I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about this. I have a feeling it won't end well for the Cowboys or for Witten. To be out of football for a year is one thing, but to be out at his age and already be slower than slow is another.

17. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

18,604 Messages
    12,208 Likes Received
    We didnt have to sign him. But you know Daddy Jerry leaves the door open for his wayward sons to come back home without too many consequences.

Melonfeud, firewater and morat1959 like this.
  18. Hawkeye19

Hawkeye19 Well-Known Member

2,681 Messages
    6,256 Likes Received
    If anything... adding Witten adds a jolt more urgency to the offseason. He obviously wants to go for the ring— and Garrett is already on the hotseat— so perhaps this opens the tap in JJ’s wallet and we add a few more competitive pieces in FA to help the team take a shot

Melonfeud likes this.
  19. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

55,860 Messages
    57,174 Likes Received
    Look! There's that guy using that word again!

And @CyberB0b has been around since 2012, he's far from a fair weather and isn't going anywhere.

Cover 2, Zman5, Verdict and 9 others like this.
  20. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

55,860 Messages
    57,174 Likes Received
    I agree, his numbers were at career lows in 2017, does anyone really expect them to improve two years later?

Verdict likes this.