Witten has screwed the Cowboys twice now

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Last year, he retired unexpectedly, leaving the Cowboys to go into the offseason with subpar TE talent. This year, he throws a monkey wrench in the plans again, at the last minute, and puts the franchise in an odd position.

He's going to leech snaps from any TE they may draft, and hinder the development of the guys already on the roster. He's definitely taken them out of the free agency mix for TEs.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Last year, he retired unexpectedly, leaving the Cowboys to go into the offseason with subpar TE talent. This year, he throws a monkey wrench in the plans again, at the last minute, and puts the franchise in an odd position.

He's going to leech snaps from any TE they may draft, and hinder the development of the guys already on the roster. He's definitely taken them out of the free agency mix for TEs.

Agreed 1000000%.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
After sleeping on it, I too don't like it. We moved on already. Why get back?

Call me crazy, but I prefer the TEs we have now plus whoever we draft

Prepare yourselves for more flags on holding and false starts

:cool:

Last edited:

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Meh, if that's the case the team screwed themselves. They didn't have to say yes.

And his contract is really a show me contract - nothing in it says they HAVE to play him. Heck even if he is no good they could cut him (though I doubt it - I'd sooner just use him as a reserve/backup).

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't give a damn about the so called hindering a players development. I care about winning games, if guys are out there making plays they will see more playing time and if they are not getting it done as was the case most of last year then we need to get someone in who can make the plays. Dallas used 4 TE last and combined they could not produce to the level Witten did in 2017.

aria

Reaction score
Ridiculous. This team potentially has a small window to win it all with our current group of players and Witten just solidified one less position we need to worry about this off season. With all the contracts coming up, the few areas we need to address on defense and starting off with a 2nd round pick, who exactly do you think we should have got in FA or the draft?

glimmerman

Reaction score
The FO is putting a bandaid on the position so they can sign D-Law and maybe ET and extend others. Go after additional help in the DL and OL.

It’s not a terrible idea as we know what we are getting. As Dak is starting to use the middle of the field he at least has a outlet instead of holding the ball and taking sacks. If Dak will use it.

That is the only positive spin I can put on it. Jarwin and Shultz were doing better toward the end of the year. If Witten is taking some snaps then so be it. He gets open. Everyone complains about the 3 yard catches. That’s usually because he is working back towards the QB.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Fresh meat for the haters. Love it. You’ll disappear by mid-season.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ya, I will be honest - I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about this. I have a feeling it won't end well for the Cowboys or for Witten. To be out of football for a year is one thing, but to be out at his age and already be slower than slow is another.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
If anything... adding Witten adds a jolt more urgency to the offseason. He obviously wants to go for the ring— and Garrett is already on the hotseat— so perhaps this opens the tap in JJ’s wallet and we add a few more competitive pieces in FA to help the team take a shot

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ya, I will be honest - I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about this. I have a feeling it won't end well for the Cowboys or for Witten. To be out of football for a year is one thing, but to be out at his age and already be slower than slow is another.

I agree, his numbers were at career lows in 2017, does anyone really expect them to improve two years later?