Witten played 98.4% of the snaps in 2017

foofighters

Reaction score
Is this another bash Witten thread? Now he's getting bashed for being too healthy and reliable. Unreal.
Exactly. This just blows my mind. We have other more important problems so we are going to bash an old throw back football player that represents what the league used to be (and still should be). Yes, he's slow but he's probably the best route runner and still has great hands. Just think where this team would be without his experience? We'd probably have more Dez types pouting on the sidelines.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly. This just blows my mind. We have other more important problems so we are going to bash an old throw back football player that represents what the league used to be (and still should be). Yes, he's slow but he's probably the best route runner and still has great hands. Just think where this team would be without his experience? We'd probably have more Dez types pouting on the sidelines.

He's actually still a really good TE. Even at 35+, he is still a top 15 TE.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Witten is a pro's pro but there hasn't been one yet that could beat father time. He's nowhere near the player he used to be and should not be logging as many snaps. He's never been one to make people miss and rip off huge chunks of yardage, but his YAC is now measured in inches. Great guy, a positive presence, just no longer a good football player. A tip of the cap #82 but your time is running out.
No, he's not nearly the player he once was, but he's still better than most tight ends in the league, and definitely better than anyone else we have.
Getting rid of him, just for the sake of change would be foolish and short sighted.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Dak played 98.59% and both Fred and Collins played 100%.

The guy is a warrior, HOF, ROH, etc etc but that number has to change folks if we are going to go anywhere next year folks. That's just ridiculous.

What do you think happens? That number has to come down to at least 70% at least. But does JG and Linny have the clout to do it? We are the slowest offense in football right now!

I can't stand all those clutch first down catches he makes. Also wish he wouldn't play every week. Those starters that suit up every game are annoying. Better to have guys that are always hurt, suspended, or just sit out due to lack of production.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Witten can still play all them snaps because “Would Be Champion” Tone Rome had to carry him for a decade. Caused Tone to break his back but Mr. 1 yard short can still come up shy of the marker like a champ.

LOL, Mr. One yard short. I love this board. Just spit out my vitiamin water laughing.

Hardline

Reaction score
Yes, I have my high school 100M and 200M record and ran a 4.3 forty in 82 senior year. Went to college for 4 years and graduated in 87 and decided to try out for the NFL before my brother played with the niners in the early 90s. An agent got me a try out at Georgia Tech and hundreds of guys are there trying out with tons of teams from the NFL and CFL there. Doing exactly what they do in Indianapolis. My forty that day was was 4.4, I was going as a LB that day and I did 27 reps at 225. I knew I would have no problem with the bench being a weigh room addict. But I knew my 40 time would not be like in high school either.
Who's your brother?

phildadon86

Reaction score
Why do we suddenly need speed at the TE position when we haven’t had it any of the last 15 years again?
BEcause as much as you hate to admit this. Just because our offense was successful with no speed there for 15 years doesn't mean it doesn't need to change. For the record. Witten was not a huge part of our success in 2014 or 2016. Minus his blocking he didn't really provide much on offense. I love Witten and he is a first ballot hall of famer, but you really are starting to get irritating with this whole "well if it worked in the past why wont in work now" mantra.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Considering he averaged 8.9 yards a catch last season and only had 101 YAC on 63 receptions that would mean he must have ran at least 7.4 yards down the field before he caught the ball. My guess is that would be a little higher if his QB could occassionaly throw a pass over 10 yards

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/jason-witten-player-stats

Basic math. It's why I never understood why people would claim Dak never threw the ball downfield to Dez in 2016 when Dez had his highest average YPC and his lowest average YAC.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Considering he averaged 8.9 yards a catch last season and only had 101 YAC on 63 receptions that would mean he must have ran at least 7.4 yards down the field before he caught the ball. My guess is that would be a little higher if his QB could occassionaly throw a pass over 10 yards

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/jason-witten-player-stats

Or Linehan designing an offensive scheme to give Dak enough time, without being sacked, to throw past 10 yds.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Or Linehan designing an offensive scheme to give Dak enough time, without being sacked, to throw past 10 yds.

Oh so now if he had time he could throw to Witten downfield more? Doesn't that go against your previous posts about Witten not being able to get ope or catch a pass more than 5 yards downfield? I see you have disregarded all the evidence to the contrary