Witten played 98.4% of the snaps in 2017

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
That's why I said it was lost on you. Art is subjective.
The smart thing to do would be to just admit you were wrong and agree that while JW is on the downside of his career he can still play but i can see you don't want to go there and i can see you aren't very smart because like i showed you earlier with only 101 YAC he had to have ran at least 7.4 yards downfield on average before he caught a pass

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
The smart thing to do would be to just admit you were wrong and agree that while JW is on the downside of his career he can still play but i can see you don't want to go there and i can see you aren't very smart because like i showed you earlier with only 101 YAC he had to have ran at least 7.4 yards downfield on average before he caught a pass

Me not know Witten can run past 5 yds. lol. God, you are pathetic.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Me not know Witten can run past 5 yds. lol. God, you are pathetic.

Somewhere over the rainbow...
typical answer from a person who doesn't know what to do when confronted with evidence that proves they don't have a clue as to what they are talking about. Like i said earlier just admit you were wrong about the 5 yards and move on, it's alot easier than to just continue to make a fool of yourself for everyone to see

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Even if you're delusional about Wittens ability still you should want another TE that can help keep Witten more fresh towards the end of the season.

We need to do exactly what the Chargers did. Witten can still play but it's time to get a more dynamic player.

Aven8

Reaction score
Why do we suddenly need speed at the TE position when we haven’t had it any of the last 15 years again?

My point is we need someone on a consistent basis that can beat a LB down the seam. Witt can't do that consistently anymore. It will open up so much.

Witt is just a 5 yard option route TE now, with the occasional down field catch.

In my OP I said his snaps need to be more like 70%, but that's if we have another TE of course. I never said cut the bum, etc. Although he does hold a lot, and lots of false start penalties.

It's just finally time to start the transition, and if we don't get a TE we will know they don't agree.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Even if you're delusional about Wittens ability still you should want another TE that can help keep Witten more fresh towards the end of the season.

We need to do exactly what the Chargers did. Witten can still play but it's time to get a more dynamic player.
Absolutly and no doubt Witten is on the backside of his career. It would be the perfect time to teach somebody else (Rico Gathers anyone) the position and what better teacher than Witten

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BEcause as much as you hate to admit this. Just because our offense was successful with no speed there for 15 years doesn't mean it doesn't need to change. For the record. Witten was not a huge part of our success in 2014 or 2016. Minus his blocking he didn't really provide much on offense. I love Witten and he is a first ballot hall of famer, but you really are starting to get irritating with this whole "well if it worked in the past why wont in work now" mantra.

Just think how irritated I get with people wanting to spend limited resources on positions of relative non-need at the expense of spending them where they’re actually needed. Nobody is unseating Jason Witten in Dallas this coming season, and this offense is not going to change what it wants from its TEs anyway. This will be Jason’s last year here. We’ll rely on him and on the other four TEs we already like on this roster, and draft a replacement relatively high the following season if the developmental guys we have already don’t step up.

I don’t know what you guys were watching that convinced you the offensive troubles last season were with the speed at TE anyway. The issues were with the protection and with the QB.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Just think how irritated I get with people wanting to spend limited resources on positions of relative non-need at the expense of spending them where they’re actually needed. Nobody is unseating Jason Witten in Dallas this coming season, and this offense is not going to change what it wants from its TEs anyway. This will be Jason’s last year here. We’ll rely on him and on the other four TEs we already like on this roster, and draft a replacement relatively high the following season if the developmental guys we have already don’t step up.

I don’t know what you guys were watching that convinced you the offensive troubles last season were with the speed at TE anyway. The issues were with the protection and with the QB.
Problems were with Garrett being protected. He should have been shown the door after the Atlanta game. And think about how many more first downs Dak could have had if JW could you know, RUN.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It is not his fault that Dak has accuracy problems and cant read defenses very well
Every offensive player's numbers dropped this season. Cut them all! Part of the process! Some of our FANS are geniuses! Lol!

Aven8

Reaction score

The problem Idgit is outside of Zeke, and Dak when he runs, who scares you on this offense? We need more dynamic playmakers all over the field. TE's, WR's, etc. Our own division foe has two dynamic TE's and another one developing. Plus they went out and got WR's and more RB's.

Our FO and coaches play checkers, and plug a hole and think we are set, while Roseman and company are playing chess.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Problems were with Garrett being protected. He should have been shown the door after the Atlanta game. And think about how many more first downs Dak could have had if JW could you know, RUN.

Ah, there’s a fresh take. And an interesting question. How many first downs do you really think we didn’t get last season because of Jason Witten’s declining speed? I never noticed any, but perhaps I just missed them. I did see a lot of missed opportunities with LT breakdowns, poorly thrown passes, WR drops, and pick sixes that bounced off of players hands, though. Not Jason Witten’s, but you know, other guys.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Dak played 98.59% and both Fred and Collins played 100%.

The guy is a warrior, HOF, ROH, etc etc but that number has to change folks if we are going to go anywhere next year folks. That's just ridiculous.

What do you think happens? That number has to come down to at least 70% at least. But does JG and Linny have the clout to do it? We are the slowest offense in football right now!

But the question is who takes those snaps?

Would we have been better off with Hanna or Swaim on the field in single-TE sets? I've seen no indication that would be the case from their limited roles as second TEs?

Would we have been better off with Keith Smith out there at fullback in no-TE sets? I'm not sure three-wide with a fullback and tailback is something we'd run much.

Would we be better off with four wides and no tight end? That would be a possibility, but I don't think Garrett likes it because it creates some vulnerabilities for pass protection.

Witten's time is nearing an end, but getting him off the field more means we have to have someone on the field to replace him. It most likely will have to be a tight end who can be an effective blocker and at least a consistent short-range target.

Again, Witten was seventh among TEs this year in receptions, so there are 25 starting TEs lower on that list than him. You can't take him out of the game for a lesser player than that.

(Like Romo, I think Witten isn't really going to be appreciated until he's gone. Not the Witten of his early career whom everyone admires, but the steady warrior he's been the past few years blocking better than most receiving TEs while still ranking high among them.)

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
The problem Idgit is outside of Zeke, and Dak when he runs, who scares you on this offense? We need more dynamic playmakers all over the field. TE's, WR's, etc. Our own division foe has two dynamic TE's and another one developing. Plus they went out and got WR's and more RB's.

Our FO and coaches play checkers, and plug a hole and think we are set, while Roseman and company are playing chess.

If Dak only scares teams when he runs (which i agree he is very good at) then that is our biggest concern on offense, not our receivers or TE

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I completely agree with that. And I’ve wanted a stretchy he field player for the offense for years. But that’ll come from the WR position if it comes. We’re not going to change up what we do at TE,and we’ve got a pretty clear template for what we like at that position at this point.

And that’s ok. A guy like Gathers can be his own matchup problem for teams at TE. It doesn’t have to be a speed player there.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Ah, there’s a fresh take. And an interesting question. How many first downs do you really think we didn’t get last season because of Jason Witten’s declining speed? I never noticed any, but perhaps I just missed them. I did see a lot of missed opportunities with LT breakdowns, poorly thrown passes, WR drops, and pick sixes that bounced off of players hands, though. Not Jason Witten’s, but you know, other guys.
If you can sit there with a straight face and tell me Witten doesn't fall short of the sticks more often than not, you are either blind, or so delusional you need to see a doctor. Either way, Witten has lost a step, maybe 2. And if you cant see that and can still sit here and say nothing is wrong we are ok, I cant help you, other than to say "clap clap clap"

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why do we suddenly need speed at the TE position when we haven’t had it any of the last 15 years again?

I guess you're right, the last 15 years have been great! All those rings...