News: Witten says its his job to make it tough on the coaches to not play him

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe its too early or late where you live,
Or maybe you just have no clue about anything you're talking about?

And maybe instead of having the common sense to realize that fact, you prefer to blame your own failings on anyone except yourself?

but there's some serious disconnect.

Any "disconnect" lies between you and rational thought.

In no way did I ever say or argue I didn't being up Dez. My point was lost when you focused on him and i tried to prevent that but you insisted.

You brought him up and incorrectly compared him to Witten. You did that, not anybody else. And then proceeded to get every fact regarding him wrong as well. But then don't want to talk about it and call it "sidetracking" when you're the guy that brought him up in the first place. Once again, "everybody else's fault" but your own.

And the fact that you think people don't think so low of Wittens ability to play is a problem in itself. In case there was another disconnect I'm not one of those who think Witten can't play. It's also a reason, not the reason, why this thread exists.

Nobody does, there's your other "disconnect", you keep bringing up this strawman argument that nobody ever said. Nobody ever said "Witten can't play", stop lying and saying that they did.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
If he doesn't, he should at this point. He's closer to being a coach than he is to being a top player any longer. It would be in everyone's best interests if he starts to embrace that.
Even if he doesn't there is some value to him showing the younger folks how to work. By example is a great leadership trait. (Not a commentary of his value overall or that he should be here at all, just acknowledging that he's here regardless and this is part of his likely value moving forward).

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If he doesn't, he should at this point. He's closer to being a coach than he is to being a top player any longer. It would be in everyone's best interests if he starts to embrace that.

Witten lead by example, mostly, from what I saw, doesn't seem like the other tight ends caught on (pun intended), don't know if this year will be any different.

Maybe the coaches are afraid none of the other tight ends will ever develop into at least better than average players, so they will at least have a known quantity in Witten. Whether that's good, bad, or in between, performance-wise, it's still a "bird in the hand" situation.

Personally I'm thinking Jarwin will be the "starting" tight end come the first real game, but by no means a guarantee...

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
His role is to step out of the way and don't impede progress. In the meantime, get us a first down every now and then.
If the new guys aren't good enough to beat him out for playing time then you need to get new new guys.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten lead by example, mostly, from what I saw, doesn't seem like the other tight ends caught on (pun intended), don't know if this year will be any different.

Maybe the coaches are afraid none of the other tight ends will ever develop into at least better than average players, so they will at least have a known quantity in Witten. Whether that's good, bad, or in between, performance-wise, it's still a "bird in the hand" situation.

Personally I'm thinking Jarwin will be the "starting" tight end come the first real game, but by no means a guarantee...

I think it's Witten, Witten, Witten. For better or worse.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Wish it was that simple.
Agreed, but if he is the guy that is giving us the best chance to win on Sundays and get to the Super Bowl. I don't really care if the young kids behind him aren't getting their developmental playing time. I think you would agree.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Witten's primary function, and I mean 90%, isn't blocking, this offense isn't going to be what a lot of us are hoping for.

The question is since Witten is a favorite of Booger's and Garrett's does Moore get some must calls dictated to him regarding Witten? You know they both want to soothe the pain of his failed broadcast experience and prove they weren't just providing a soft landing spot. If he's an also ran with the team this season, does that happen?

I did not like his return because of the reason behind it and he should be no better than a 3rd option but 4th or 5th would be better. This is not a TE offense. But that doesn't mean Moore will not be forced to run it as such on occasion.

Big_D

Reaction score
This should be a committee. I want to see all TE's involved. There's enough surrounding talent for these guys to have an impact.

Techsass

Reaction score
the only thing I know with certainty about witten at this point is that when he retires for good from the nfl, he will not go to the broadcasting booth. maybe action movies.
Or the NFLNetwork

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
it is every players job to bust their butts everyday and work hard to improve. It's up to the coaches to decide who to play, when, situations, etc to get the best players on the field. If witten is still beating out Jarwin and Schultz, then so be it those dudes need to out work him in practice and then when they get opportunities.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the only thing I know with certainty about witten at this point is that when he retires for good from the nfl, he will not go to the broadcasting booth. maybe action movies.
That was my homer test last season. Anyone that said Witten was getting better in the booth, homer alert.

However, in all fairness, he was thrust into one of the 4 highlight roles in broadcasting the games when guys like Johnston and Lynch got to work out their roles in lesser spots and he had a new inexperienced director and not much apparent help from the other two stooges. Tessitore reached his Peter Principle level on the SEC Network. He reminded me of that actor that played the news anchor in the Godzilla remake with Matthew Broderick.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Uhhh, what was all of last season???
That 4 tight end by committee thing they did last year? I don’t know what to call it. I know I haven’t seen Witten put together a performance like Jarwin did to end the season in a very long time.