Witten won't rule out playing in 2020

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let me guess. Hmmm....he's a better player? (LOL)

I have defined a career path for Witten:

Witten should do commentary for High School football games this year for free.

Spring 2020
Next year he can do XFL (or whatever they're calling that new league). Witten should pay Brad Sham to do the games with him and teach Witten about Broadcasting. (Sham is so good that during the preseason radio broadcasts he has been doing with Bryan Broaddus, Sham actually makes Broaddus sound like a legit announcer).

Then he can do lower division college football.

Then D2 college.

Then D1 college.

Then Pre-Season radio for NFL games.

Then follow Romo around for a season getting him coffee while Romo is broadcasting.

Then he can do guest spots in the booth during the preseason with Romo.

CBS 4th string NFL (or wherever Romo is at the time).

2027-2030
4 more years of CBS 4th string.

Resume his old position at ESPN.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I have no problem with year to year deal with Witten if he is showing effectiveness this season. Before I worry about 2020 season I want to see how he fairs in 2019

The most reasonable approach here......in fact, I'm guessing this is likely the exact approach Witten is actually taking.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Think there was a thread a while back asking why we haven't addressed the TE position......well, I think we found your answer LOL

As long as he's not a liability on the field, I guess I'm Ok with him playing as he can.

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...-Witten-might-play-2020-NFL-season-131722314/
Jason Witten won't rule out playing in 2020
ByPATRIK WALKER 23 hours ago
Don't assume Jason Witten is done after 2019.

Only a few months into 2019, he already loves it more than the year prior.

He originally made the decision to remain with the Dallas Cowboys in 2018, but had a change of heart that led to his retirement last spring. From there, he'd follow in the steps of former Cowboys before him — most recently best friend and former teammate Tony Romo — in trying his hand as an NFL color analyst. Set to be the replacement for a departing Jon Gruden, who was leaving ESPN Monday Night Football to take the head coaching reins for the Oakland Raiders, the table was set for Witten to potentially be the next Romo — wherein lay the true problem. The bar had been raised so high by Romo in his first year with CBS that unless Witten was equally as football intelligent, witty and charismatic as his former quarterback, the chances were he'd be met with a mountain of criticism.

That wouldn't surprise me, but it doesn't make it any less important to find our next star tight end. If Jarwin and Schultz can't elevate their game, then tight end becomes a high draft priority since Witten could re-hang up the cleats at any time.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I have defined a career path for Witten:

Witten should do commentary for High School football games this year for free.

Spring 2020
Next year he can do XFL (or whatever they're calling that new league). Witten should pay Brad Sham to do the games with him and teach Witten about Broadcasting. (Sham is so good that during the preseason radio broadcasts he has been doing with Bryan Broaddus, Sham actually makes Broaddus sound like a legit announcer).

Then he can do lower division college football.

Then D2 college.

Then D1 college.

Then Pre-Season radio for NFL games.

Then follow Romo around for a season getting him coffee while Romo is broadcasting.

Then he can do guest spots in the booth during the preseason with Romo.

CBS 4th string NFL (or wherever Romo is at the time).

2027-2030
4 more years of CBS 4th string.

Resume his old position at ESPN.

Damn Walk....how old he be at the end of this so-called career path? I'm too lazy to figure it out.

BTW....hiow much you charging him for this? LOL

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I agree. I admit I have great respect for the man. In 15 season he missed 1 game and that was his rookie year after getting his jaw broken. This guy is a warrior who has played through pain always giving his all to the team. I find it interesting we have so many who standup for pot heads who can't manage to avoid getting suspended yet rail against a man of Witten stature

1000%

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
your last sentence is key and one that I have no faith that JG will enforce. Witten can't play 90% of the snaps....but I bet he does.

We'll see. After last year Jarwin and Schultz proved they were competent. This is not a situation where they are rookies with no experience. There is no empirical evidence either way of how Garrett will handle this. I really wish people would quit assuming the worst about Garrett. The dude does have a very good track record of developing talent.

Reaction score
There have been plenty of professional athletes who didn't know when to quit.

Jason Witten has joined that list.