Woodson Sounds Off on Jerry Jones not Signing Thomas

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
“And I think it’s the sort of the same thing with Earl Thomas,” Woodson added.

“This is a young secondary. I mean extremely young, especially in the cornerback position. You bring in a guy like Earl Thomas; he’s going to lift the entire secondary. Not only the secondary, but the linebackers as well because of the knowledge of the game: he’s a coach that’s going to be on the field, basically, an extension of the coaching staff. He’s familiar with [defensive backs coach Kris] Richard. They know each other extremely well, and he knows this defense like the back of his hand.

And there is not a guy in this league that you’re going to outwork. You will not outwork Earl Thomas as far as preparation and getting ready for games. He’s just that type of football player. And I think he would help this team tremendously as far as… taking the ball away. That will increase, and that is a big problem this secondary had had over the years. They haven’t taken the ball away, and that absolutely changes with Earl Thomas.”

“Here’s my issue with the Cowboys. There’s only a limited time. I mean, we know how this league works: you have a limited window of growth, especially with contract situations that are going to be coming up with Zeke [Elliott] and with Dak [Prescott] and those guys, DeMarcus Lawrence, so many players. They’re all coming up at some point. There’s a limited window you have to maximize those young men, and if you don’t build around them and put them in successful situations and have offensive minds or defensive minds that can really lift their game, you’re doing them an injustice. You’re doing them a complete injustice. And that’s a shot right at Jerry Jones. Jerry Jones, [and] Stephen Jones need to surround their young talent with either coaches or players that can really help lift those young stars to the next level.”
Exactly what I’ve been saying. Limited window and everyone’s worried about 5 years from now when 75% of these guys won’t be around. Go all in for the next 2-3 years.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Exactly what I’ve been saying. Limited window and everyone’s worried about 5 years from now when 75% of these guys won’t be around. Go all in for the next 2-3 years.

Going all in for 2-3 years can have impact for much longer. You can make aggressive moves in 2-3 years without going all in.

Us going all in should have started in 2017 when you have your franchise QB on a rookie deal (a really cheap one), but alas, past mistakes was hitting our cap still.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Going all in for 2-3 years can have impact for much longer. You can make aggressive moves in 2-3 years without going all in.

Us going all in should have started in 2017 when you have your franchise QB on a rookie deal (a really cheap one), but alas, past mistakes was hitting our cap still.
Blah blah. In 5 years 3/5 of your o-line won’t be here, all your position players will be in there 30s or close to it and 5 years from now will be completely different. You ain’t gonna be able to pay everyone anyways so go for it while you got a chance

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Blah blah. In 5 years 3/5 of your o-line won’t be here, all your position players will be in there 30s or close to it and 5 years from now will be completely different. You ain’t gonna be able to pay everyone anyways so go for it while you got a chance

Those players not being here doesn't mean they can't impact our cap longer.

There's a reason why most owners do not go "all in" the long term impact for short term game isn't always worth it and certainly doesn't always lead to a Super Bowl. This isn't me being against big FA signings - just that there is a balance of knowing when to be aggressive and when to walk away.

We don't have the owners for this, clearly.

SSoup

Reaction score
To be fair, we did just agree to pay Witten millions to do a job guys making 700,000 or less already had covered (as they easily matched his production from 2017). And we agreed to pay a backup 4-3 LB 3+ million dollars when we didn't even need to spend a million on the job.

That's at least 3 million (we'll see what the incentives look like on top of that) we've pointlessly flushed away on nostalgic warm-and-fuzzies right there.

So if we cost ourselves Earl over 3 million, just remember how warm and fuzzy you felt when we announced those guys were coming back for 2019.

Fun!

cern

Reaction score
Woody wants every overpriced player to be paid. It's just what players and ex-players say. Never gets old. It's not his money.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Those players not being here doesn't mean they can't impact our cap longer.

There's a reason why most owners do not go "all in" the long term impact for short term game isn't always worth it and certainly doesn't always lead to a Super Bowl. This isn't me being against big FA signings - just that there is a balance of knowing when to be aggressive and when to walk away.

We don't have the owners for this, clearly.
Your missing the point and I can't spell it out anymore.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
This place is going to go off when ET signs, be it with Dallas or someone else. :popcorn:

bsbellomy

Reaction score

“This is a young secondary. I mean extremely young, especially in the cornerback position. You bring in a guy like Earl Thomas; he’s going to lift the entire secondary. Not only the secondary, but the linebackers as well because of the knowledge of the game: he’s a coach that’s going to be on the field, basically, an extension of the coaching staff. He’s familiar with [defensive backs coach Kris] Richard. They know each other extremely well, and he knows this defense like the back of his hand.

And there is not a guy in this league that you’re going to outwork. You will not outwork Earl Thomas as far as preparation and getting ready for games. He’s just that type of football player. And I think he would help this team tremendously as far as… taking the ball away. That will increase, and that is a big problem this secondary had had over the years. They haven’t taken the ball away, and that absolutely changes with Earl Thomas.”

“Here’s my issue with the Cowboys. There’s only a limited time. I mean, we know how this league works: you have a limited window of growth, especially with contract situations that are going to be coming up with Zeke [Elliott] and with Dak [Prescott] and those guys, DeMarcus Lawrence, so many players. They’re all coming up at some point. There’s a limited window you have to maximize those young men, and if you don’t build around them and put them in successful situations and have offensive minds or defensive minds that can really lift their game, you’re doing them an injustice. You’re doing them a complete injustice. And that’s a shot right at Jerry Jones. Jerry Jones, [and] Stephen Jones need to surround their young talent with either coaches or players that can really help lift those young stars to the next level.”

The window for having Dak and Zeke on rookie deals is over already

conner01

Reaction score
To be fair, we did just agree to pay Witten millions to do a job guys making 700,000 or less already had covered (as they easily matched his production from 2017). And we agreed to pay a backup 4-3 LB 3+ million dollars when we didn't even need to spend a million on the job.

That's at least 3 million (we'll see what the incentives look like on top of that) we've pointlessly flushed away on nostalgic warm-and-fuzzies right there.

So if we cost ourselves Earl over 3 million, just remember how warm and fuzzy you felt when we announced those guys were coming back for 2019.

Fun!
Silly comparison unless ET wants a one year contract which I doubt he does

Sydla

Reaction score
So you’d pay ET the top safety salary

His larger point is what I think is spot on. Jerry and Stephen waste the talent they do have because they never really put a complete roster together. They squander the likes of Romo and Witten down the stretch because they fielded a terrible defense.

And they are likely going to squander the cheap years of Dak, Elliott as well as the overall effectiveness of the OL they built because they are too stupid or ignorant or incapable of bettering the team in FA like other teams do.

That's his real point and it's spot the hell on.

Alweezy

Reaction score
His larger point is what I think is spot on. Jerry and Stephen waste the talent they do have because they never really put a complete roster together. They squander the likes of Romo and Witten down the stretch because they fielded a terrible defense.

And they are likely going to squander the cheap years of Dak, Elliott as well as the overall effectiveness of the OL they built because they are too stupid or ignorant or incapable of bettering the team in FA like other teams do.

That's his real point and it's spot the hell on.

Exactly, at some point, you can't keep checking when your hand comes around.

morat1959

Reaction score
You didn't even make an argument - you just told someone to shut up. We are asking you what he said that was wrong.

I don't exactly get why you're refusing to do this - apparently, if it's so bad, should be easy to point out.
And silence from # 21!

Dre11

Reaction score

Woodson call your owner , tell them not the fans, not ESPN,