1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Working at a Covid Testing site

Discussion in 'Coronavirus Zone' started by Doomsday101, May 26, 2020.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

96,784 Messages
    23,147 Likes Received
    I have been working at Covid test sight for the last 9 days. We have been seeing about 170 people a day at that 1 sight. Really a lot of good people working the testing sights from logistics people to the nurses. You put in a long days in very hot conditions and yet no one complained through out the time I was there.

2. nate dizzle

nate dizzle Well-Known Member

2,361 Messages
    3,643 Likes Received
    I just don't know how you're doing it without your staff passing out left and right. I was just informed by another poster that wearing a mask decreases your oxygen intake by 40%.

3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

23,972 Messages
    10,526 Likes Received
    You know that's entirely b.s., right? Not sure if you're being sarcastic lol.

4. nate dizzle

2,361 Messages
    3,643 Likes Received
    Yeah. To his credit the person who said it recanted when presented with the facts. Don't see that often.

5. Robbieac

Robbieac Well-Known Member

2,932 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    I don't know how he is still alive actually.
    I mean, with a 10% mortality rate.....this thing is like an asteroid hitting the earth with mass casualties in the streets.

Update: I mean with a 5% mortality rate.

Update: I mean with a 3-4% mortality rate.

Update: I mean with a 1-2% mortality rate.

Update: I mean with a 0.4% mortality rate.

Correction: Maybe the risks of dieing are actually extremely low, and all of those original nonsense estimates were actually just nonsense.

I am glad that we didn't make sweeping economical decisions based on those models.

Wait.............we did?!?!?!?!

DOH!!!!!!

:facepalm::thumbdown:

6. BoysForLife

BoysForLife Well-Known Member

3,896 Messages
    5,257 Likes Received
    :hammer:

Captain-Crash and Robbieac like this.
  7. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

18,989 Messages
    17,998 Likes Received
    “it’s a hoax“

“it’s Y2K“

“It’ll be gone in a week”

“we’ll be laughing about it next year “

only a 100,000 dead in USA

:facepalm:

8. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

6,130 Messages
    5,394 Likes Received
    Who's going to be the first to take this experimental RNA vaccine? I'm going to take the wait and see approach.

CowboysWillRise, Robbieac and Kaiser like this.
  9. Kaiser

Kaiser Zone Supporter

14,922 Messages
    25,134 Likes Received
    I'm pretty sure that my wife and I already had it so I don't see the need to rush out and get it for us or our kids. 99.9% of the anti-vaxx stuff is nonsense but I'm going to do a lot of reading on it before I take it.

DakPresgoat likes this.
  10. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

6,130 Messages
    5,394 Likes Received
    I am definitely not anti Vax. But this push to get everyone to take the vaccine just raises red flags for me. Besides that, this virus doesn't scare me. So I'll let this go on for about a year or so after it comes out to see how people react to it.

Kaiser likes this.
  11. Kaiser

Kaiser Zone Supporter

14,922 Messages
    25,134 Likes Received
    Agree 100%. Also me and my wife are not in the high risk group so the thread is minimal even if we didn't have it already.

12. nate dizzle

2,361 Messages
    3,643 Likes Received
    Weird, I had no idea masks were so deadly.

Seriously though, .04 is best case scenario out of 5 they are using. So only twice as deadly as the flu, with a longer incubation period and contagious while asymptomatic.

BigStar likes this.
  13. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

26,637 Messages
    22,335 Likes Received
    Yeah, I dont get people in here gloating over the mortality rate not being as high as initially thought. I mean, that's a good thing that we should all be relived about, but gloating over it when 100,000 people are dead is just really out of bounds in my opinion.

I bet if it was their mom or dad that was in that 100,000 these guys would not be so quick to be gloating about it. Do they realize that is the size of ATT Stadium at full capacity? Think of that many people just dead in a matter of months.

Good thing I aint a mod, I would be using the ban hammer in here quite often.

14. stiletto

stiletto Well-Known Member

4,665 Messages
    5,639 Likes Received
    Thank you for being in the trenches. That duty is (to me anyways), just as scary as being on a combat battlefront. People ask me why I don't want to go get tested when I'm symptom free. I feel like it is going to a the front line of a "hot LZ" just to make sure my gun works. It's not that I am a coward, I would if I HAD to but for now...No thanks. Major props sir. Take care of yourself.

links18 and nate dizzle like this.
  15. DasSchnitzel

DasSchnitzel Well-Known Member

1,474 Messages
    2,932 Likes Received
    Yeah. My favorites are the "we stopped the economy for this?"

Yes. We had to stop the economy just to keep the death count at 100k in less than 5 months. If we had been business as usual, who knows what that number is. It's like they dont understand that the economy stoppage was preventative and it did exactly that, it prevented, and still we saw 100k dead in less than 5 months.

They also keep saying "what, are we gonna do this next year when it doesnt go away and mutates enough to keep the vaccine from working?" God help us if that's the case. If a disease can kill 100k in a country mobilized to stop it, and who knows how many more if we dont mobilize to stop it, then God help us if we deal with this annually. That would be the beginning of some biblical, end-times ****, because you know the powers that be wont be content to lose money like this every year.

16. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

26,637 Messages
    22,335 Likes Received
    I hear you bro, my thoughts exactly.

Stay safe.

17. Kevinicus

Kevinicus Well-Known Member

16,804 Messages
    9,773 Likes Received
    Buest guess, not best case.

18. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

4,538 Messages
    3,671 Likes Received
    :hammer::hammer::hammer:

Robbieac likes this.
  19. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

4,538 Messages
    3,671 Likes Received
    It is way too early to say this is twice as deadly as the flu. First until we get a true idea of what the antibody test are so we know how many had it without symptoms there is no way to calculate a fatality rate. There is also the issue of the terrible decisions by some governors to put people with the virus in nursing homes which has inflated the death total considerably. If we want accurate statistics we need to take those deaths out of the equation because even if they did technically die from Covid the terrible decisions are what enabled that. It would also be a really good idea to make sure every place was reporting death with the same criteria to separate the died with Covid, from the died from Covid(note I am not claiming anything with this other than there needs to be a consistent standard for reporting death because it does no good to under-count or over-count Covid deaths).

Robbieac and Kaiser like this.
  20. nate dizzle

2,361 Messages
    3,643 Likes Received
    I understand what you are saying about the nursing homes and the governor's and agree to a point. The decision to make them take positive patients was a horrible one and I can only assume that the decision was made without any input from someone that understands the communal nature of LTC facilities. These homes are not equipped or regulated like hospitals to handle this type of contagion.

Hospitals have fewer regulations when it comes to restricting movement of patients. They also have negative pressure rooms.

LTC is a whole different world. This is their home and to an extent, they have every right that you or I have in our homes. Restricting movement or gatherings we were only allowed to do once the state gave us that guidance and they didn't give it until the CDC and CMS gave it. And even after that, trying to restrict patients with dementia is a herculean task, which is why the dementia units in particular have been the hardest hit. These poor folks do not have hygiene awareness in most cases and the spread in those units is like wildfire as there simply isn't enough staff to constantly have eyes on the residents 24/7. By then it was too late for many centers and the spread was fast and furious.

So absolutely a bad decision by the governors. However, as has been the case in NH where we were never given that mandate, spread in the community quickly led to spread in the nursing homes as employees and outside vendors (various doctors, lab groups, mental health, hospice) brought it in and in the case of the vendors, spread it from one facility to all the others they visited. So even without the governors orders, the virus would likely still have hit those homes that had high community spread, maybe not all of them, but likely most, so eliminating those facilities numbers from the total would not really be giving you a more accurate picture.

Agree that a more consistent standard is needed.

DakPresgoat and cml750 like this.