1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Working at a Covid Testing site

Discussion in 'Coronavirus Zone' started by Doomsday101, May 26, 2020.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

96,784 Messages
    23,146 Likes Received
    Many nurses and other medical people have been laid off during this crisis.

Kaiser likes this.
  2. Kaiser

Kaiser Zone Supporter

14,897 Messages
    25,095 Likes Received
    And a ton of those nurses and clinicians were sent home early. @Tabascocat can speak to that well.

Overworked is different than overrun, the quality of care didn't drop significantly and we never had the "bodies stacked like cord wood" that people talked about here initially.

Almost everyone in the military is overworked and underpaid, but it doesn't mean they don't do their job or let people die.

3. Doomsday101

96,784 Messages
    23,146 Likes Received
    Across the nation, job losses in the healthcare sector have been second only to those in the restaurant industry, according to federal labor statistics.
    For the record:
    5:41 PM, May. 02, 2020 This article has been updated to clarify that Stanford Health Care cook Sarah Jane Von Wettberg chose a mix of paid and unpaid leave to comply with new furlough requirements.

Hospitals and doctors’ offices lost billions in revenue when they canceled elective surgeries and non-emergent visits to prepare for a possible surge in COVID-19 patients and to reduce the spread of the virus.

Patients also began scheduling fewer appointments and avoiding the hospital, even for medical emergencies, creating another hit for providers who were already hurting. The surge, in places where it did arrive, was not enough to compensate for the losses, experts say.

https://www.latimes.com/california/...lifornia-healthcare-workers-layoffs-furloughs

4. nate dizzle

nate dizzle Well-Known Member

2,361 Messages
    3,643 Likes Received
    Yeah, they were the people that worked in departments that do elective surgeries.

5. nate dizzle

2,361 Messages
    3,643 Likes Received
    Sent home early from travel assignments in NY? Was it after the peak in April? Probably why they're getting sued.

6. nate dizzle

2,361 Messages
    3,643 Likes Received
    Probably because it's so much more spread out over time. Nice thing about the flu is you don't walk around giving it to everyone for 2 weeks before you know you have it. That's the b@#$ of this bug, at least in the LTC setting.

Kaiser likes this.
  7. This is Our Year

This is Our Year Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike

1,544 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    Agree 100% it’s like all the people that say well this is no different then the flu, people die from that. Ahhh, yeah, but that death total is for the entire year and it wasn’t with the entire country basically shut down.

There’s no telling how many more would have died if we went, “business as usual”

8. Doomsday101

96,784 Messages
    23,146 Likes Received
    They are still nurse, there was no shortage of nurses or medical people in dealing with covid. The notion our health system was over ran? No it wasn't

9. Doomsday101

96,784 Messages
    23,146 Likes Received
    Flu season is not all year, it is a few months out of a year. Yes we shut down because the intial reports was of millions dying so yes with the unknown the Government did what was in the overall best interest. As time is going and more is known these opening are taking place with more knowledge of the situation not scare tactics

Robbieac, Kaiser and This is Our Year like this.
  10. This is Our Year

This is Our Year Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike

1,544 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    Very true should have prefaced it by saying the flu is seasonal not a year around thing.

Let’s just hope everyone is smart tho when things get back to somewhat normal because until there’s a vaccine there’s always the chance we have to go back to super strict guidelines. Especially in NY where I live.

Kaiser likes this.
  11. Kaiser

Kaiser Zone Supporter

14,897 Messages
    25,095 Likes Received
    Sweden didn't lock down and their death rate isn't much different from ours. And Norway just said that if they had to do it over again, they wouldn't lock down.

Maybe it wasn't that bad because it just wasn't that bad. The mortality rate dropped at least 95% from the early panic numbers.

MichaelWinicki and Robbieac like this.
  12. Kaiser

Kaiser Zone Supporter

14,897 Messages
    25,095 Likes Received
    That's the biggest tragedy of the whole thing - and hopefully we learn from it going forward.

13. nate dizzle

2,361 Messages
    3,643 Likes Received
    Not sure if you are referring to the nurses that were "laid off" as proof there was no shortage or not but I can assure you that many, many, many of the ones that got laid off were not upset about getting the unemployment +600 every week. I can tell you that we had 4 nurses and 6 aids that left one facility almost immediately following the announcement of that stipend. They all had "Covid-related reasons" that they couldn't work. One claimed she couldn't handle the mental stress of it. The one thing that saved us was our governor offered up a $300 a week stipend to frontline nursing home personnel so it was a little less enticing and that stemmed the bloodflow. Anyway, my point is, most of those nurses probably wouldn't have gone to work in a covid unit for anything (hence the huge salaries they had to offer travellers) when they could sit home.

14. Tabascocat

Tabascocat Dexternjack Zone Supporter

20,015 Messages
    22,660 Likes Received
    We were notified today that Los Angeles will no longer provide testing kits after June 3rd. It will no longer be free to the public. This applies to LA County, not sure about other areas.

15. Jammer

Jammer Retired Air Force Guy Zone Supporter

4,677 Messages
    1,870 Likes Received
    It still doesn't change the narrative of how we were short of health care professionals and if that was the case why so many were being laid off.

16. Jammer

Jammer Retired Air Force Guy Zone Supporter

4,677 Messages
    1,870 Likes Received
    Reasoning?

17. Tabascocat

Tabascocat Dexternjack Zone Supporter

20,015 Messages
    22,660 Likes Received
    I don’t know why yet, the mayor is a putz. All I have heard so far is he doesn’t want to pay for the test kits anymore.

18. nate dizzle

2,361 Messages
    3,643 Likes Received
    They were laid off because they worked in departments that do elective surgeries.

19. CowboysWillRise

CowboysWillRise Well-Known Member

10,966 Messages
    16,046 Likes Received
    I have a feeling it will be strongly offered by ny employer. Typically I like to wait and see, but I have no idea how this one will go.

20. DasSchnitzel

DasSchnitzel Well-Known Member

1,467 Messages
    2,915 Likes Received
    I agree. The people at the top have failed those of us who keep them propped up, and so we have to choose death from disease or death from poverty because greed is all that's left at the top.

There was a way to navigate this issue without millions losing their income and going broke. It didn't have to be like this. However, this is not the place to get anymore specific on that front, as we're approaching economic policy conversations, and those aren't allowed here. Thankfully.