Would a single NFL team trade for Dak right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verdict

Reaction score
I’ve always been middle of the road on Dak. Im not pro Dak nor anti-Dak.

I think, depending on the team you trade him to, and where that team in the draft order you would get more than two first round picks for Dak, with his current contract.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Carolina and Texans are going to have top picks and a chance at either of the top 2 QBs in the draft. They're not going to trade for anyone 40+ Million a year and rightfully so.

Broncos already overpaying Wilson and wanted either Rodgers or him. Not that Dak was really available, but he wasn’t even in their interests then and surely less the case now.

Don’t see why the Raiders would see Dak Prescott as a major upgrade over Derek Carr right now. I think Dak is the better QB and ok, he’s 2 years younger. But not $15,000,000 a year better and certainly not going to give up draft picks to do so and take on the contract.

Jim Irsay wouldn't trade for Dak Prescott. He rather tank and draft 1 and he’s riding a 2 game winning streak as we speak. Only reason they were willing to go with Ryan is because he is just under $19,000,000 under the cap this year and they can cut him if they want next year since it’s the last year of his deal.

As also stated, Dak’s no trade clause won’t allow it to happen and the FO wouldn’t want to eat that accelerated money into the cap moving him.

But make no mistake, Dak Prescott is not trade bait in any regard and that’s because no team wants the deal to begin with, let alone giving up trade collateral to take it on. He doesn’t want to leave and he gets to call the shots on that. He gets as much attention and endorsements as any QB by playing here and we can’t afford for the next year or 2 to fully absorb the deal. He’s here for 2 more seasons and no one else is looking to sign him up, not even the Commanders.

Teams would trade for Dak if they could, no amount of feelings on Dak will change the reality of the NFL QB Market.....plenty of teams would give thier #1 pick for him right now, because they dont have a good QB...regardles of how you feel about it Dak is a better QB then plenty of QB's in this league.

Verdict

Reaction score
Ok you lost me with Heinicke is clearly better….Goff I think is a reasonable debate. Atlanta could be interested if their rookie isn’t showing anything in practice.

now let’s do Houston, Indy, Carolina. I’d argue maybe even a team like New England.

The cowboys will get plenty of interest in trading dak, but dak has to approve it and they have to be willing to suffer that cap hit which is what makes it unlikely.
I’m not super high on Dak, but I think Dak is better than Goff.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
No, you asked and Watson is better at all 10 that I listed.

Even though I am a Dak fan, Watson is the better player.

I have seen it in games against us, even when Dak was having his best playing days.

Dak is the better person though.
Stats show otherwise. Granted Dak has played more games but if you look at percentages they are very similar stat wise.

Watson gets sacked more from holding the ball too long and also has a higher interception rate.

Hasn't been some big time winning QB either and had really great weapons including Hopkins when he was the best receiver in the game.

To state that Watson is 10 times better is just incorrect

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Agreed, but I don't think it's a ridiculous debate either. The guy has had some great games, been to a super bowl, etc.
That Rams team has been to a Superbowl without Goff though.

That's like saying well we can debate Taco Charlton with Micah Parsons cause Taco has been to a Superbowl.

Going to a Superbowl is a team accomplishment, you can't name 1 QB that has went to the Superbowl by themselves with no help

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Teams would trade for Dak if they could, no amount of feelings on Dak will change the reality of the NFL QB Market.....plenty of teams would give thier #1 pick for him right now, because they dont have a good QB...regardles of how you feel about it Dak is a better QB then plenty of QB's in this league.

Which team is going to give their 1st round pick and take on his cap hit year 4? We’re not allowed to move him if he doesn’t want to be moved and we can’t eat the cap hit next year on top of it.

So which team that wasn’t mentioned would give up their most likely 1st rounder? Detroit?

Daks a top 12, maybe even 15 QB. I’ve seen him look like a top 5 up to the last 9 games last season. That guy may have gotten us a 1st rounder with this contract. We surely wouldn’t have given up that player then. But that’s not what he is right now. Doesn’t look like he’s going to get back to that guy either with the current click he has around him either.

Detroit might get the #1 overall pick. Surely a top 5 at this pace. Nobody is coughing up a top 10 pick for Dak Prescott and then paying him his deal.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Which team is going to give their 1st round pick and take on his cap hit year 4? We’re not allowed to move him if he doesn’t want to be moved and we can’t eat the cap hit next year on top of it.

So which team that wasn’t mentioned would give up their most likely 1st rounder? Detroit?

Daks a top 12, maybe even 15 QB. I’ve seen him look like a top 5 up to the last 9 games last season. That guy may have gotten us a 1st rounder with this contract. We surely wouldn’t have given up that player then. But that’s not what he is right now. Doesn’t look like he’s going to get back to that guy either with the current click he has around him either.

Detroit might get the #1 overall pick. Surely a top 5 at this pace. Nobody is coughing up a top 10 pick for Dak Prescott and then paying him his deal.

In a real franchise with results based Job security..teams that do not have a top 10 QB will trade for him because thier job is on the line to get a QB and win...again thats not a reality in this franchise but in others it is.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Stats show otherwise. Granted Dak has played more games but if you look at percentages they are very similar stat wise.

Watson gets sacked more from holding the ball too long and also has a higher interception rate.

Hasn't been some big time winning QB either and had really great weapons including Hopkins when he was the best receiver in the game.

To state that Watson is 10 times better is just incorrect

Watson only had Hopkins and what was known as the worst o-line in the league. He didn’t even have Watson the last season he played, because they traded him. He played with absolutely nobody and was trying to get out that season and everyone understood why.

Have you seen Daks stats this season? 6-4 TD/INT and hasn’t even passed for 900 yards yet. Only team he’s played this season that doesn’t have a losing record is Tampa Bay and they just got back to .500 this week playing in the worst division in football. Dak has gotten to play the Lions, Bears and 4-6 Packers who just snapped their 5 game losing streak after we just got a 2 week bye on us.

I know Watson hasn’t played in 2 years, but that guy I saw 2 years ago looks at least 10 times better than the Dak we have right now.

The Dak we had up to 8 games last season looked 10 times better than the Dak we have now.

khiladi

Reaction score
The colts have traded for wentz and Ryan the last couple of years. You think they wouldn’t entertain a dak deal?

Reich got fired mid-season for it and he was coaching Wentz prior in Philly, before the injury I believe too. The Colts also showed they were willing to cut their losses too.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Yes

Someone traded for Wentz

So yes

You’re point makes sense. Wentz isn’t getting 40+ million and Commanders wouldn’t give us a 1st rounder for Wentz. They didn’t have to give up a substantial pick to get him. In fact the teams are swapping their 2nd rounders which right now Colts would be a higher pick lol, Yes the 3rd rounder is also in there but that will be a flush if things stay the same. So Washington virtually gave up no draft capital and Indy had to pay the majority of his guaranteed money and this years deal.

Big difference in giving up collateral to get Dak.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
You’re point makes sense. Wentz isn’t getting 40+ million and Commanders wouldn’t give us a 1st rounder for Wentz. They didn’t have to give up a substantial pick to get him. In fact the teams are swapping their 2nd rounders which right now Colts would be a higher pick lol, Yes the 3rd rounder is also in there but that will be a flush if things stay the same. So Washington virtually gave up no draft capital and Indy had to pay the majority of his guaranteed money and this years deal.

Big difference in giving up collateral to get Dak.

That's not what they would do if they traded for Dak

But someone would if both sides (Dak and the Cowboys) wanted to get it done.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
In a real franchise with results based Job security..teams that do not have a top 10 QB will trade for him because thier job is on the line to get a QB and win...again thats not a reality in this franchise but in others it is.

Which current franchise as of today is this top 10 franchise that would trade for Dak and offer us enough collateral to make it worth our while to absorb his accelerated money?

I don’t see 1 at all. Would love to know the team.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
That's not what they would do if they traded for Dak

But someone would if both sides (Dak and the Cowboys) wanted to get it done.

But there is no combination currently that would want to get it done. Wish I could see 1.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Watson only had Hopkins and what was known as the worst o-line in the league. He didn’t even have Watson the last season he played, because they traded him. He played with absolutely nobody and was trying to get out that season and everyone understood why.

Have you seen Daks stats this season? 6-4 TD/INT and hasn’t even passed for 900 yards yet. Only team he’s played this season that doesn’t have a losing record is Tampa Bay and they just got back to .500 this week playing in the worst division in football. Dak has gotten to play the Lions, Bears and 4-6 Packers who just snapped their 5 game losing streak after we just got a 2 week bye on us.

I know Watson hasn’t played in 2 years, but that guy I saw 2 years ago looks at least 10 times better than the Dak we have right now.

The Dak we had up to 8 games last season looked 10 times better than the Dak we have now.
I suggest you look up the teams that Watson had if you think his only weapon was Hopkins.

Dak played no preseason games and got injured the first game. If you're judging Dak on this season alone why not judge fairly with other players.

It's like some guys judge Dak on a different scale then other players. Going by 2 years ago when Watson played that entire team was terrible and he didn't win many games at all.

Again, if anybody saying Watson is 10 times better than Dak either they can't accurately judge QBs or they have an agenda.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I keep seeing people reference his contract but if I’m reading it correctly the guaranteed money outside of salary is paid out after this year and then next year he makes 30 mil.

So if that’s accurate and the hypothetical here is the team trades for him after this year they’d be taking on his 30 mil salary and likely look to extend.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Put Cooper Rush back in the lineup with our defense falling apart and we might not win another game the rest of the season. You’re not going to win many games putting up one or two TDs every week with this defense. We were kicking mostly FG’s when Rush was the QB and we were still winning games because our vaunted defense was keeping opponents under 20 points most every week.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
It would not be this year and Dak would have to restructure if he wanted out of Dallas.

That is true. Even a season from now, what would the trading team want him for and why give up the collateral. It is what is is for another 2 seasons. We need him to be the guy the first 8 games of last season. If we can get him back to that. Moore has to go and that would probably be the best thing for Dak whether he believes it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.