Would Eagles have won the SB with Foles all season?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
If the Eagles didn't have Wentz, or he had been hurt in preseason, do you think the Eagles would have gotten their championship with Foles as the starter all 16 regular season games?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
3 lines of thought here:

1. Foles has never made it through more than 10 starts in any 1 season, so injury

2. Teams would figure Foles out, though this one doesn’t hold as much water as it didn’t happen to Carson and Foles has been winning in this league for 7 years

3. Eagles still win 10+ games with Foles and just need those playoffs performances to get over the hump as it was more the talent on the roster than a qb carrying them. So the argument against this is he would have been more tired at that point in the season?

Home field was a big deal vs Atlanta, but they would have pummeled the Vikings in Philly or Minny, Foles or not.

Reactions: C42

Sydla

Reaction score
No.

Because they probably would not have had home field throughout the playoffs.

Although I hope the Eagles do think like this and trade Wentz away. That would be awesome.

Valorius

Reaction score
If the Eagles didn't have Wentz, or he had been hurt in preseason, do you think the Eagles would have gotten their championship with Foles as the starter all 16 regular season games?

To me, the more interesting question is, could Wentz have had the run Foles did, and beat Tom Brady on the best day of his career, like Foles did.

Since Wentz has never played a single snap of playoff football, it's hard to say that he could've.. LOTS of great NFL players just folded in the playoffs under pressure.

I've posted this a few times, but look at what Foles has done in just a short period of time:

CAREER PLAYOFF STATISTICS, ALL TIME NFL:

N. Foles: 71.9 comp% 113.2 rating
J. Hostetler Playoffs 69.2 comp% 112.0 rating
K. Warner Playoffs 71.1% comp 102.8 rating
D. Brees 65.9% comp 100.7 rating
A. Rodgers: 63.5 comp % 99.4 rating
R. Wilson: 61.6% 94.1 rating
T. Brady: 62.8% comp 90.9 rating
T. Aikman: 63.7% comp 88.3 rating
B. Favre: 60.8 comp % 86.3 rating
S. Young: 62% comp 85.8 rating
J. Montana: 62.7 comp% 84.6 rating
J. Flacco 56.6% comp 88.6 rating

Everyone on the above list is a Superbowl winning QB.

Nick Foles rankings:

No.1 all time Eagles regular season passer rating leader (92.7)
No.1 all time Eagles playoff winning % (.750)
No.1 all time Eagles and NFL single game TD record holder (7)
No.1 all time NFL TD/INT ratio after 25 starts
No.1 all time NFL single month passer rating (145+, Nov 2013)
No.1 all time NFL playoff completion % (71.9%)
No.1 all time NFL single season turn over ratio (2013, 27 TD: 2 INT)
No.1 all time NFL single postseason completion % (72.6%)
No.1 all time NFL career playoff passer rating (K.Warner and at )
No.3 all time NFL single season passer rating (A. Rodgers, P. Manning)
No.3 all time NFL single postseason playoff passer rating (J. Flacco 1st, D. Brees 2nd)

Nick Foles is one of 2 QB's in NFL history to have over a 100 passer rating in 1st 4 Playoff games (T. Aikman)

Nick Foles is one of 2 NFL QB's to pass for over 75% completions in consecutive playoff games (J. Montana)

Nick Foles is one of 2 QB's in NFL history to pass for 7 TD's and 0 INT's in a single game (P.Manning)

Nick Foles is one of 4 QB's in NFL history to pass for over 300yds in consecutive playoff games (Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tom Brady)

Nick Foles Eagles career regular season passer rating of 92.7 is the 13th greatest in NFL history, ahead of J.Montana, A.Luck, D.Marino, B.Favre, J.Kelly, J.Flacco, E.Manning, R.Staubach and countless other all time greats.

Valorius

Reaction score
No.

Because they probably would not have had home field throughout the playoffs.

Although I hope the Eagles do think like this and trade Wentz away. That would be awesome.

You would want the Eagles to have 3 high 1st round draft choices, when Foles has already proven he can win the Superbowl?

The Eagles having all those high picks would be just loading the deck for Foles.

Valorius

Reaction score
Consider this, if you take out his time in StL, under the QB killer Jeff Fisher, Nick Foles would have a career passer rating over 100....which would be the 2nd greatest in NFL history.

It amazes me the way people doubt this guy. He's already had both one of the greatest regular seasons and one of the greatest playoff seasons in NFL history. And done it under 2 completely different coaching staffs.

Sydla

Reaction score
You would want the Eagles to have 3 high 1st round draft choices, when Foles has already proven he can win the Superbowl?

The Eagles having all those high picks would be just loading the deck for Foles.

They wouldn’t get three number ones for Wentz.

Wentz is the better QB, the better long term option.

So any plan that results in Wentz not being the QB of that team for the next 8 years for Foles is laughable.

Valorius

Reaction score
So far, statistically, Foles is on a completely different level than Wentz.

20 NFL QB's have ever won Superbowl MVP...Foles is one of them. Wentz is not. And just going by pure odds, probably never will be.

Foles and Wentz have played almost the exact same number of games for the Eagles, and Foles numbers are as good or better, straight across the board.

NICK FOLES, REGULAR SEASON, Eagles:

31 games 27 starts
607 comp, 994 att, 61.1% compl, 7290 yds, 51 TDs, 19 INT, 92.7 pass rtg

CARSON WENTZ: REGULAR SEASON, Eagles:

29 games, 29 starts
644 comp, 1047 att, 61.5% compl, 7078 yds, 49 TDs, 21 INT, 88.8 pass rtg

And where it really matters, the playoffs, Nick Foles is the no1 rated player in NFL history in completion % and passer rating.

Who knows if Wentz will be any good in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
There's more debate about Foles and Wentz on this bulletin board then there is in the Eagles front office. I don't think people understand they think Carson Wentz is the next Aaron Rodgers. Those quarterbacks don't come around very often

kskboys

Reaction score
There's more debate about Foles and Wentz on this bulletin board then there is in the Eagles front office. I don't think people understand they think Carson Wentz is the next Aaron Rodgers. Those quarterbacks don't come around very often
Beuerlein was great in our playoff game and he became a great QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aven8

Reaction score
Did you miss our 6-0 awesome victory at the end of the year or what? Foles looked like the worst QB in the league and the rookie came in and outplayed him by a mile. But Pederson changed everything during the bye with him and the rest is history. Coaching matters folks.

Valorius

Reaction score

I'll be happy if Wentz is the next Nick Foles.

CAREER PLAYOFF STATISTICS, ALL TIME NFL:

N. Foles: 71.9 comp% 113.2 rating
A. Rodgers: 63.5 comp % 99.4 rating

Nick Foles is No.3 all time NFL in single season passer rating (A. Rodgers 1st, P. Manning 2nd)
Nick Foles is one of 4 QB's in NFL history to pass for over 300yds in consecutive playoff games (Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tom Brady)

Foles has records that all time greats like Dan Marino and Dan Fouts and so many other legends can't even sniff. It's crazy, but it's true.

3rd greatest regular season of all time...3rd greatest playoff run of all time. Greatest single game regular season TD passing game of all time....I know it's amazing, and hard to believe...but it's the truth.

And if you watch those NFC championship and Superbowl LII highlights again, Foles absolutely passes the eyeball test. It's not like he got lucky...he was delivering surgical strikes, over and over and over. (his receivers also came up huge, and made great catches and plays over and over, granted)

To do that, under that kind of pressure, facing down Tom Brady on the most prolific day any QB has ever had in any playoff game, ever...and STILL out duel him?

I watched Ron Jaworski throw 3 INT's to the same player in Superbowl XV, and had my dreams crushed as a young boy.

I watched a guy like Randall Cunningham's entire career. Randall won league MVP, came up just short of a single season with 4000 pass yds, 1000 rush yds and 30 TD passes. SI called him the ultimate weapon. Talent that absolutely blew everyone away....but in the playoffs...a total bust.

I watched Donovan McNabb, a no2 pick in the draft, who in 2004 had 30 TD's and 8 Ints even though he basically sat out the last 3 games of the season so he wouldn't get hurt for the playoffs....17 INT's in the playoffs.... a 1-4 record in the NFC championship game. Puking all over the field and throwing 3 INT's in the Superbowl. A superbowl the Eagles still only lost by 3 points, even though the Pats recorded the Eagles practices. McNabb came up (very) short.

2010, the greatest season of Mike Vicks career. Loaded with talent- Lesean McCoy, DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Macklin...watched as the best kicker in Eagles history missed 2 easy FG's and Aaron rodgers beat the Eagles at home. Watched as Aaron Rodgers hoisted that Lombardi trophy.

2013-14. The Eagles sign Darren Sproles. For about 2 days, the Eagles have the best offense in team history...then Chip Kelly cuts DeSean Jackson. Trades away McCoy for a broken linebacker. Ships Foles out for a guy who has underachieved and been injured his whole career. Watched him totally burn down the whole franchise.

And here comes Superbowl LII.... the greatest shoot out in playoff history....on the very best passing day the GOAT QB named Brady has ever had in his career... led by the GOAT coach named Belicheck, and the cheating evil empire who has won 5 superbowls.

The world watched them throw everything they had at Nick Foles. On the biggest stage in the world.

56 years of heartbreak, erased in a single game.

Nick Foles, Superbowl MVP. Highest rated playoff passer in NFL history....Instant legend.

As far as i'm concerned, he has earned the starting job.

Last edited:

Valorius

Reaction score
Did you miss our 6-0 awesome victory at the end of the year or what? Foles looked like the worst QB in the league and the rookie came in and outplayed him by a mile. But Pederson changed everything during the bye with him and the rest is history. Coaching matters folks.

All the Eagles starters sat for 3/4 of the game. And had absolutely nothing on the line, and installed a completely vanilla game plan so as not to show anything for the playoffs...and Dallas still only scored 6 points.

Translation: Who cares.

BTW, Dallas surrendered the single highest passer rating game by any first game rookie in NFL history in that game, to Nate Sudfield.

Last edited:

GreenMean69

Reaction score

the whole 5 mins Foles played that game? The game where a preseason game has more importance then. 3rd and 4th stringers playing and the #1 thing was to stay healthy . Cowboys playing their hearts out for 1 so they dont got 8-8 which was dumb . 2 they wanted Zeke to get his yards ... which he did not . Dallas had a chance to put in players and give actually game experience to players that normally dont get time . Instead the Clapper embarrassed himself by not even being able to score a TD.

C42

Reaction score
There is more debate about Foles and Wentz on this board than the Eagles board :D.

Wentz is the guy. It’s his team.

mcmvp

Reaction score
So now Foles is a better QB than Rodgers?

Of course not. He caught many people off guard. He was always better than what many people believed, but I think some people have gone a bit overboard with just how good he is.

I will say he improved greatly under Pederson and DeFilippo...especially his pocket presence under pressure. He used to have a very bad habit of retreating. His pocket awareness/footwork improved dramatically.

Aven8

Reaction score
the whole 5 mins Foles played that game? The game where a preseason game has more importance then. 3rd and 4th stringers playing and the #1 thing was to stay healthy . Cowboys playing their hearts out for 1 so they dont got 8-8 which was dumb . 2 they wanted Zeke to get his yards ... which he did not . Dallas had a chance to put in players and give actually game experience to players that normally dont get time . Instead the Clapper embarrassed himself by not even being able to score a TD.

I was being sarcastic, but Foles was awful in that game. You guys played no one and we still almost lost (wish we would have). The media was talking about that Rook of yours to possibly play during the playoffs Foles had been so bad the past two weeks, what was he 18-22 or something, the rook I mean?

And I totally agree, we should have player our backup QB, but our great coach plays to win!?$&@%#€{. :mad: