Would Hill have gone 1st round if not for attitude?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Honest question because I don't follow college players until DC.com starts their draft show. Excited about the pick.

I think so. Big men who have the quickness to get into the backfield the way he does are in short supply. He went 58th despite his attitude issues and despite not playing all the time. The major knock on him that might have kept him out of the first round is that while he attacked, he didn't really seem to have an awareness of what to do with his attack. He would crush his man but not get to the quarterback because his focus seemed to only be beating his man. Offenses will use that aggression against him unless he learns to control it.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Quite possibly. His attitude was tied to his snaps this past season. I saw some analysis indicating that he was more productive than a number of other top DL prospects including Ed Oliver on a per snap basis. Less attitude issues, leading to more snaps, leading to more production probably would have pushed him into the first round, given his traits.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It would have been a pretty awesome feat.

Actually, it is not common that a college staff buries a player and he still goes in the 2nd round.

I can appreciate that Marinelli trusts Frost, but that is a huge deal. That is us basically telling the current staff at UCF that they don't know what they were dealing with.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The production was just not there.

He did well to go where he did.

I don’t like we see anything from this player until year 3. He’s a project.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
The production was just not there.

He did well to go where he did.

I don’t like we see anything from this player until year 3. He’s a project.
I can see where you're coming from, but he's basically going to do what he does best from Marinelli.
Just penetrate and let others make the play from his chaos.
He just might make an impact this year.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
On the field, Hill was the definition of a disruptor. The stat sheet notes only one sack a season ago, but Hill’s impact was far more than that. His 11.6% pressure rate was the 11th-best figure among defensive tackles in the FBS last season. He ranked higher than guys like Ed Oliver, Jeffery Simmons, and Dre’Mont Jones in that statistic last season. This was not an unproductive player, but rather one who didn’t see the field enough to put up great raw stats.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...vpAyu2v55QyGBitnodYy5GJZ40auTicVt4I7PWZBrnS3E

cnuball21

Reaction score
Top 58 though?

Not for me. I saw him as a 3rd/4th rounder.

I love the traits as a nickel rusher, but don't see him as a complete DT. DTs that can effect the run and pass coming out are top 50/70 selections for me.

J817

Reaction score

Why? Is he not talented enough to be a potential first round draft pick? Maybe if he had a better attitude in college he would have started more games and showed off more of his talent. You mean to tell me we drafted a DT with attitude issues and no first round talent? What a terrible pick...sarcasm.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
The are many analysts who believed the UCF staff misused Hill and held a grudge because he almost transferred when they came in last year. Hill has said that nothing about his approach changed from year 2 to year 3. Seems plausible that the staff decided to go in and attack the best player to show who was boss. Coaching version of beating up the biggest guy you can find when you get to jail.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Not for me. I saw him as a 3rd/4th rounder.

I love the traits as a nickel rusher, but don't see him as a complete DT. DTs that can effect the run and pass coming out are top 50/70 selections for me.
We don't ask the 3 tech to be a run stopper.

Also that's a matter of technique and discipline not ability.

As I've stated numerous times you make fewer mistakes when you take big over little. Especially when that big is a big time athlete with a skill that translates favorably to the NFL.

/shrug.