Would the Patriots re-sign Lawrence?

Skybox22

Reaction score
DLaw is a VERY GOOD player. (Good instincts), but he's not worth 20 million or whatever the number. I like him a lot but not at that silly number.
When every nfl team passes as much as they do and you can only generate that many sacks? No thank you! Give me corners, safeties, (that both can tackle in the open field) and wr's that know where to go and catch the ball in their hands and not their chest. And a good quarterback. You're set for a run.
AND good coaching.
And Dallas has how many of those?
Zeke is another story we'll get to later.

Skybox22

Reaction score
DLaw is a VERY GOOD player. (Good instincts), but he's not worth 20 million or whatever the number. I like him a lot but not at that silly number.
When every nfl team passes as much as they do and you can only generate that many sacks? No thank you! Give me corners, safeties, (that both can tackle in the open field) and wr's that know where to go and catch the ball in their hands and not their chest. And a good quarterback. You're set for a run.
AND good coaching.

75boyz

Reaction score
I highly doubt they would. They let a lot of talent walk so not to overpay.

The trade for Quinn also reminds of me of a move the Pats would make.

I know we are not near the Pats level, but we may be getting close in terms of roster and cap management.

With each day that passes, I'm beginning to warm up to the idea on letting Tank walk.

Their history has shown that letting really good past players go like Ty Law, or Richard Seymour or Vince Wilfork does not affect their ability to win.
And even the more recent releases of guys like Jamie Collins, Chandler Jones and now Trey Flowers. I guess I should throw in their last 2 years starting Left Tackles of Solder and Brown as well.

It's the Patriot Way. They have somehow figured out how to manage NFL parity and salary cap management in today's NFL while everybody else is just kinda waiting for their two headed QB/head coach monster to retire I think. I think thats the thinking amongst the other 31 teams anyway.

Last edited:

75boyz

Reaction score
AND good coaching.

Real nice and simple positional summary as the keys to success. And no, the Cowboys don't have 2 of the most important positions filled that you mentioned.

It's a story that actually doesnt involve Zeke but has been mentioned many times previously and will be discussed in several other stories later on as well. Trust me on this.

Good post.

kskboys

Reaction score
Their history has shown that letting really good past players go like Ty Law, or Richard Seymour or Vince Wilfork does not affect their ability to win.
And even the more recent releases of guys like Jamie Collins, Chandler Jones and now Trey Flowers. I guess I should throw in their last 2 years starting Left Tackles of Solder and Brown as well.

It's the Patriot Way. They have somehow figured out how to manage NFL parity and salary cap management in today's NFL while everybody else is just kinda waiting for their two headed QB/head coach monster to retire I think. I think thats the thinking amongst the other 31 teams anyway.
Yup. Smart drafting. Doesn't work w/ a subpar GM.

kskboys

Reaction score
Real nice and simple positional summary as the keys to success. And no, the Cowboys don't have 2 of the most important positions filled that you mentioned.

It's a story that actually doesnt involve Zeke but has been mentioned many times previously and will be discussed in several other stories later on as well. Trust me on this.

Good post.
It really wasn't. Pats consistently key on the OL and DL. Consistently successful teams don't pay WR's.

75boyz

Reaction score
It really wasn't. Pats consistently key on the OL and DL. Consistently successful teams don't pay WR's.

Pats are always the "outlier" in my eyes. The exception to the rule so to speak but your point is still no less valid in general terms.

Not sure how you feel about our own Irvin's contributions to team success during that 90s era run. As while I agree with you on not consistently overpaying receivers as a guide to success, I truly feel Irvin was the central catalyst to that team.

As a so-called analyst, not a huge fan, but his schtick can be entertaining at times. But as a Cowboy, he comes in behind only Landry and Roger for me, and I go back to '75. (I missed Lilly)

But he too is an exception to the rule in my eyes. Just my opinion of course.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Shrewd football decisions become a lot easier when you have the greatest coach, QB and offensive mind combination possibly ever.

We are not in a position where letting an elite talent walk away is a good idea.

75boyz

Reaction score
Shrewd football decisions become a lot easier when you have the greatest coach, QB and offensive mind combination possibly ever.

We are not in a position where letting an elite talent walk away is a good idea.

Nope, you are definitely right on this. But his previous back issues, labrum thing, game disappearances and now contractual standoff makes me truly hesitant to give him big money. I can truly see regretting this decision to pay in 3 or less seasons as I believe him the type to coast once paid. Just my opinion.

kskboys

Reaction score
Nope, you are definitely right on this. But his previous back issues, labrum thing, game disappearances and now contractual standoff makes me truly hesitant to give him big money. I can truly see regretting this decision to pay in 3 or less seasons as I believe him the type to coast once paid. Just my opinion.
I don't know about coasting, but I highly doubt if he can stay healthy consistently.

kskboys

Reaction score
Pats are always the "outlier" in my eyes. The exception to the rule so to speak but your point is still no less valid in general terms.

Not sure how you feel about our own Irvin's contributions to team success during that 90s era run. As while I agree with you on not consistently overpaying receivers as a guide to success, I truly feel Irvin was the central catalyst to that team.

As a so-called analyst, not a huge fan, but his schtick can be entertaining at times. But as a Cowboy, he comes in behind only Landry and Roger for me, and I go back to '75. (I missed Lilly)

But he too is an exception to the rule in my eyes. Just my opinion of course.
Agree.
However, Irving is a top 50 all time WR. Might be top 10. Most forget he owned Deion for 12 catches in that 94 champ game loss.

texbumthelife

Reaction score

The whole "game disappearances" thing is hyperbole. He plays 100mph every play and is one of the most disruptive players in the league. As with CB play not being all about picks, DE play isn't all about sacks.

I agree that his injury history injury is worrisome, but I think you have to gamble on getting at least 3 more strong years from him and construct the contract in such a way that reflects that. In other words, all guaranteed money in first 3 years.

zerofill

Reaction score
Patriots: You want a chance for a ring, be a part of history, or be the highest paid at your position?
Player: Highest paid
Patriots: cya

Yobwocs

Reaction score
No, they wouldn't. For the same reason Dallas would.

Time to move on from this guy. If just because I'm sick of hearing about him, and his multitude of injuries, and his dissatisfaction over his 20 million dollar per year offer.

Johnny23

Reaction score
My point is that he has not proven to be a difference maker. He's not Von Miller who got paid after he put Denver on his back and lead them to a super bowl.
I agree. I think he is a Chris Doleman as a DE who played for the Vikings back in the day. Put up big numbers but wasn't the Reggie White, Bruce Smith, or Derrick Thomas type. That's what Miller and Mack do
And they deserve the money.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
They have Brady. We have Dak.
Brady is the sum of the parts; Dak is a part of the sum.
Give us Brady, and I'd let Tank walk too.
Gronk saved Brady many a time the last 5+ years. Let's see how great Brady will look this season without Gronk.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. I think he is a Chris Doleman as a DE who played for the Vikings back in the day. Put up big numbers but wasn't the Reggie White, Bruce Smith, or Derrick Thomas type. That's what Miller and Mack do
And they deserve the money.

I don't think he's as good as Doleman, but not a bad comparison.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They would have released him or done the same thing they did with McGinnis. The Genius of the Patriots is to trade release however you want to call it. Remove the player when he's worth something