Would you be for or against the idea of Sean Payton returning to the Cowboys?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Payton but I wonder what the reaction here would be if his offense pulls a stinker as NO did vs Dallas. Evidently we had all these tip offs on defense that the Rams were able to exploit yet Payton with the NFL #1 QB could not figure out.

I'll take "a stinker" once in a while, especially during a 13-3 season, vs the 8-plus years of "stinkers" we continue to get from Garrett.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'll take "a stinker" once in a while, especially during a 13-3 season, vs the 8-plus years of "stinkers" we continue to get from Garrett.

If Garrett were to get fired and Payton hired that is fine. I don't think all has been a stinker, Cowboys have won the East 2 of the last 3 years with the youngest team in the NFL. My question is how long before Payton is questioned?
2009 Saints won the SB but since has lost in the 1st rd of playoffs and have not reached the NFL Championship game until this season and has missed the playoffs 3 seasons in a row since 2009 and is doing so with in my view one of the best QB in this game. How much is it Payton and how much of it is Brees?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Garrett were to get fired and Payton hired that is fine. I don't think all has been a stinker, Cowboys have won the East 2 of the last 3 years with the youngest team in the NFL. My question is how long before Payton is questioned?

Super Bowl and playoffs buy a lot of leeway, especially when you're the only success a team has ever had. And Payton has gone 11-5, and 13-3 these past two years, while Garrett has gone 9-7 and 10-6.

2009 Saints won the SB but since has lost in the 1st rd of playoffs and have not reached the NFL Championship game until this season and has missed the playoffs 3 seasons in a row since 2009 and is doing so with in my view one of the best QB in this game.

His rebuilding years. Just like Garrett's three 8-8 seasons were, with all of that talent he had too. Payton clearly came through that and the team has now won 11 and 13 games the past two years. And they're the #1 seed and back in the NFC Championship game. No comparison to what we currently have.

How much is it Payton and how much of it is Brees?

Impossible to know. Neither one was "that guy" until they got together. Brees was a 62% passer in San Diego before he met up with Payton. And an injured free agent that his original team moved on from, and one that the Dolphins didn't want. A Dolphins staff that included both Linehan and Garrett by the way. Payton and the Saints rescued him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Super Bowl and playoffs buy a lot of leeway, especially when you're the only success a team has ever had. And Payton has gone 11-5, and 13-3 these past two years, while Garrett has gone 9-7 and 10-6.

His rebuilding years. Just like Garrett's three 8-8 seasons were, with all of that talent he had too. Payton clearly came through that and the team has now won 11 and 13 games the past two years. And they're the #1 seed and back in the NFC Championship game. No comparison to what we currently have.

Impossible to know. Neither one was "that guy" until they got together. Brees was a 62% passer in San Diego before he met up with Payton. And an injured free agent that his original team moved on from, and one that the Dolphins didn't want. A Dolphins staff that included both Linehan and Garrett by the way. Payton and the Saints rescued him.

I agree SB gives leeway. I just see some thing that Payton has done that Garrett has as well yet Payton is not grilled. For instance Garrett caught hell for resting players in 2016 yet Payton did that this year sitting most of the starters and have a long layoff. I just think some of the critics will go overboard on Garrett because they do not like him yet would justify another HC doing the same. Again if this were to happen Payton being hired as HC here I would welcome him as the HC even though I think that it is very unlikely to happen.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
This is just for conversation purposes based on Jerry Jones' recent comments and some chatter that I've been hearing.

But how would you personally feel about the following scenario:

There are rumors that Drew Brees might call it quits after this season, especially if he and the Saints manage to win the Super Bowl. If that happened, word is that Sean Payton who look to leave the Saints organization as well. And rumor is that he still has a clause in his contract that he can void it upon any changes in ownership (which has occurred already given Tom Benson's passing).

Payton still has a home in Texas and his son plays high school ball here.

Speaking hypothetically at this point, but if Payton was the "opportunity" in the coming weeks that Jones was referring to, would you be for or against the idea of Payton returning to the Cowboys to coach this team?

I'd give up two 1st, two 2nds, and money for sean.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree SB gives leeway. I just see some thing that Payton has done that Garrett has as well yet Payton is not grilled. For instance Garrett caught hell for resting players in 2016 yet Payton did that this year sitting most of the starters and have a long layoff. I just think some of the critics will go overboard on Garrett because they do not like him yet would justify another HC doing the same.

Sure he gets the benefit of the doubt that Garrett doesn't. Again, a much better winning percentage, numerous playoff appearances, a consistently great offense (even during losing seasons), and a Super Bowl championship earns him that.

Again if this were to happen Payton being hired as HC here I would welcome him as the HC even though I think that it is very unlikely to happen.

I agree, it's highly unlikely. But I find it fun and exciting to speculate about anyway. A source of hope. Until, like everything else, it's extinguished and we go back to same old, same old...
:(

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd give up two 1st, two 2nds, and money for sean.

Good news! You don't have to!

"Things have turned around since early in the season when the Saints were struggling and each week brought a new rumor about Sean Payton being linked to this job or that job.

But the talk isn't going away. The NFL Network reported Sunday morning, citing three sources, that Sean Payton's contract contains a clause that would allow him to leave New Orleans if there was a change in ownership.

The report goes on to state the organization would be willing to let him become a "coaching free agent" after this season if that is what he desired."

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orl...cle_e6cc4f05-f3e0-5144-948e-f170dc0516ac.html

wecasa

Reaction score
This is just for conversation purposes based on Jerry Jones' recent comments and some chatter that I've been hearing.

But how would you personally feel about the following scenario:

There are rumors that Drew Brees might call it quits after this season, especially if he and the Saints manage to win the Super Bowl. If that happened, word is that Sean Payton who look to leave the Saints organization as well. And rumor is that he still has a clause in his contract that he can void it upon any changes in ownership (which has occurred already given Tom Benson's passing).

Payton still has a home in Texas and his son plays high school ball here.

Speaking hypothetically at this point, but if Payton was the "opportunity" in the coming weeks that Jones was referring to, would you be for or against the idea of Payton returning to the Cowboys to coach this team?

Bring it on, I say. With 1 condition. Jerry & The Jones Clan get on his boat and sails away and stays out of football personnel issues.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Good news! You don't have to!

"Things have turned around since early in the season when the Saints were struggling and each week brought a new rumor about Sean Payton being linked to this job or that job.

But the talk isn't going away. The NFL Network reported Sunday morning, citing three sources, that Sean Payton's contract contains a clause that would allow him to leave New Orleans if there was a change in ownership.

The report goes on to state the organization would be willing to let him become a "coaching free agent" after this season if that is what he desired."

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orl...cle_e6cc4f05-f3e0-5144-948e-f170dc0516ac.html

Nice....for a moment there I thought it would be a 2002 Gruden situation all over again!

Whether Payton happens or not the talk of possibility is fun.

DezNuts

Reaction score
How many did Garrett get to with Tony Romo as his quarterback?

Payton and the Saints went through a rebuild, it happens to everybody. It's been a Garrett excuse for 8 years running.

Payton has been to the top of the mountain, and he's close once again. Garrett never has. End of argument.

Since when did Romo become a Superbowl worthy QB? Since he started talking all fancy in a CBS booth? Yeah Payton was on top 10 years ago, they are also about to get dummied by the Rams at home worse than we did on the road, let's see how that tune changes Monday. Yeah you are right Garrett never been to a NFCC yet, but let's not act like he was outclassed in the Dez catch game and the Rodgers miracle play in 2016. Those were toss up games that could have gone either way.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
The most interesting topic for me by far right now.
:thumbup:

I wonder if Payton is impressed with our talent and roster?

We have some pretty nice stuff going on here offensively. You've got your RB, Coop, Gallup is up and coming, oline needs a little work but not bad, Dak is decent but limited, dont know if he is paytons taste though.

Potential at TE. I think Payton would definitely get us a better change of pace RB. I believe he wants that Ingram and Kamara deal wherever he goes.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since when did Romo become a Superbowl worthy QB?

During the latter parts of his career, when he could stay healthy. His numbers were more than good enough to win one. Or is he going to be sacrificed now at the altar of Jason Garrett too?

Yeah Payton was on top 10 years ago,

And today...

they are also about to get dummied by the Rams at home worse than we did on the road,

That's a tall order. Who won when the team's last played?

let's see how that tune changes Monday.

You should go out a lot of money on it. You talk like you already know.

Yeah you are right Garrett never been to a NFCC yet, but let's not act like he was outclassed in the Dez catch game and the Rodgers miracle play in 2016. Those were toss up games that could have gone either way.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Let's deal in what's real.

DezNuts

Reaction score
During the latter parts of his career, when he could stay healthy. His numbers were more than good enough to win one. Or is he going to be sacrificed now at the altar of Jason Garrett too?

And today...

That's a tall order. Who won when the team's last played?

You should go out a lot of money on it. You talk like you already know.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Let's deal in what's real.

When's the last time Romo stayed healthy? Oh 2014 when they got robbed on the catch rule, yes you are correct.

Hey man I'll be back Monday and we can discuss how the game went. Maybe I'll be the one eating crow, maybe not.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder if Payton is impressed with our talent and roster?

We have some pretty nice stuff going on here offensively. You've go your RB, Coop, Gallup is up and coming, oline needs a little work but not bad, Dak is decent but limited, dont know if he is paytons taste though.

A couple of notes on Dak.

One, he actually has a better completion percentage at this point than Drew Bree's did before going to Payton in New Orleans. Like 65% to 62%. So maybe working with Payton helps him like it did Brees.

Secondly, Payton specifically drafted Taysom Hill will the dual threat in mind, and it's something he talked to Tim Tebow about doing years ago, so it's something he's planned for quite some time. Dak is that same type of dual threat already.

Potential at TE. I think Payton would definitely get us a better change of pace RB. I believe he wants that Ingram and Kamara deal wherever he goes.

I agree, I think that there are a lot of enticing player pieces in place and it would hold appeal to most offensive minds.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
A couple of notes on Dak.

One, he actually has a better completion percentage at this point than Drew Bree's did before going to Payton in New Orleans. Like 65% to 62%. So maybe working with Payton helps him like it did Brees.

Secondly, Payton specifically drafted Taysom Hill will the dual threat in mind, and it's something he talked to Tim Tebow about doing years ago, so it's something he's planned for quite some time. Dak is that same type of dual threat already.

I agree, I think that there are a lot of enticing player pieces in place and it would hold appeal to most offensive minds.

I agree. And Payton bringing certain players with him would be a possibility also if it were to happen.

Hill QB
Reynolds WR
Josh hill TE
John kelly RB (really good change of pace guy, a preseason favorite)

Nothing major but if it came down to Payton bringing some players these are some I could see. I also think Payton would enjoy Austin more. Remember Sean also liked Tedd Ginn.

Austin would be his tedd Ginn

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. And Payton bringing certain players with him would be a possibility also if it were to happen.

Hill QB
Reynolds WR
Josh hill TE
John kelly RB (really good change of pace guy, a preseason favorite)

Nothing major but if it came down to Payton bringing some players these are some I could see. I also think Payton would enjoy Austin more. Remember Sean also liked Tedd Ginn.

Austin would be his tedd Ginn

I agree. He's always like that speed guy to take the top off of a defense and make them worry about covering the entire field. I've also always felt that element was huge, and I wanted to sign Ginn long before the Saints ended up getting him!

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I agree. He's always like that speed guy to take the top off of a defense and make them worry about covering the entire field. I've also always felt that element was huge, and I wanted to sign Ginn long before the Saints ended up getting him!

This should be an interesting week. Not trying to get my Hope's up but I believe Jerry is on to something. Even if it's just for an OC.