Would you bring in J. Manziel and give him a chance?

Would you sign Johnny Manziel and give him a "comeback SZN"?

• Total voters

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
We have Dak, he's our guy.... but someone with Manziels upside I'd happily bring in to training camp and the pre-season as a back-up. He was impressive at the two pro days he threw at, his interviews have been solid. The talent has always been there. The dude is willing to play on a practice squad.

If I were Jerry, I'd give him a league minimum 1 year contract with a team option for 2 more years. Worst case, we cut him before game 1 and Jerry makes ten-fold his investment in jersey sales. Best case? We either have a franchise QB or can trade him for some draft picks.

Jerry would love the attention and the $$$$$....

I also am starting to buy into the Manziel comeback story... his pro-day performances were solid, his interview and mentality he has shown is the best it has been in his entire football career. The kids still young. He's a Texan. I would enjoy seeing us give him a chance.

CPanther95

Reaction score
The pressure on Dak would be tremendous. You know that if he has 2 sluggish games in a row, everyone will be clamoring for Manziel.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
The pressure on Dak would be tremendous. You know that if he has 2 sluggish games in a row, everyone will be clamoring for Manziel.
Given that he was booted out of the league for his off the field issues, that alone speaks LOUDLY towards the talent the kid has.

I like putting some pressure on Dak.

Your rationale, to me, is a pro in signing Manziel.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
I voted yes. I first instinct was No, but then I thought about it and decided to go with my heart over my brain. Everyone deserves a second chance.

Plus with a nickname like “Johnny Football” how can u go wrong lol overall don’t care either way. He probably will get a chance, but who knows if he would be any good. He should go to a team with a very strong locker room and sit for 2 more seasons.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I voted yes. I first instinct was No, but then I thought about it and decided to go with my heart over my brain. Everyone deserves a second chance.

Plus with a nickname like “Johnny Football” how can u go wrong lol overall don’t care either way. He probably will get a chance, but who knows if he would be any good. He should go to a team with a very strong locker room and sit for 2 more seasons.
Which is what I LOVE about this move.... he has openly said he is willing to take a $0 salary and play on a practice squad to earn his seat. He has backed it up over the past few months. We all know Jerry wanted to pull the trigger and draft him, now we can get him in the door for no risk whatsoever.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Johnny football on the big stage as a Dallas Cowboy sounds like JJ dream come true. He wants to play and has settled down. Bring him in as a backup. If he is ok with that then ok. IF Dak gets hurt or for some reason isn’t the guy. Then he gets the shot. I do think that Dak can be the guy. He had to good of a rookie year.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Johnny football on the big stage as a Dallas Cowboy sounds like JJ dream come true. He wants to play and has settled down. Bring him in as a backup. If he is ok with that then ok. IF Dak gets hurt or for some reason isn’t the guy. Then he gets the shot. I do think that Dak can be the guy. He had to good of a rookie year.
Exactly. I don't see any downside (from Jerry's perspective)... worst case he is still booking a huge profit just on jersey sales... best case? he has a franchise QB or someone worth a bounty in a trade.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Which is what I LOVE about this move.... he has openly said he is willing to take a $0 salary and play on a practice squad to earn his seat. He has backed it up over the past few months. We all know Jerry wanted to pull the trigger and draft him, now we can get him in the door for no risk whatsoever.
I don’t think the lock room is strong enough for a johnny football.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I am thinking he wants to go to a team and start and make the big bucks regardless of what he says. And I believe a team will give him that shot. BUT if he is wanting to play for the Cowboys and I think he would love it, then yeah I would take the chance. No biggie for anyone involved.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Given that he was booted out of the league for his off the field issues, that alone speaks LOUDLY towards the talent the kid has.

I like putting some pressure on Dak.

Your rationale, to me, is a pro in signing Manziel.

I can see it both ways. The problem is that snagging a franchise QB in Round 4 is a very rare thing. If there's any chance you can make it stick I'd hesitate to do anything to screw up his morale. Even the top QB prospects are expected to take a year or two to grow into the position. You'd expect to put a lot more effort into cultivating a 4th rounder, even if it means over-protecting him a bit.

I have a feeling Dak's rookie season gave the FO the impression that they didn't need to develop him. They did the same thing with Romo - just left him to develop on his own and built the team around him. I've always wondered how Romo would have developed if he were truly developed by quality QB coaches.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I don’t think the lock room is strong enough for a johnny football.
I think it is.... I think that giving this kid his self-proclaimed dream of a "second chance" is motivation enough regardless of where he lands. I think our locker room is stronger than most, top 10 at least, and the fantasy/dream Manziel could have of envisioning himself developing into the starting QB of America's team is the most motivating factor I can imagine.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I would wait until after the draft. There might be someone out there that they could pick up as insurance. Dak was a 4th round pick so it isn't crazy to think you could find a decent option out there. If we don't draft one, why not give Manziel a try? Can't really hurt anything. And if Dak can't handle competition, then he probably isn't the guy that we need.