News: Would you do this deal for Earl Thomas if you ran the Cowboys?

reddyuta

Reaction score
earl Thomas was having an all pro season before his injury. he can transform this defense.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
All you had to see was Goff shred our secondary in the playoffs.

If we're going to use the Rams games as our yardstick, we can cut the front 7 tomorrow. 270+ yards rushing.

Between the Colts and the Rams, I think Marinelli got pantsed again. Or Richard did, and Marinelli showed him how. I don't think either game is an indication of the quality of our players as much as the quality of our coaching.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
this signing says 1 thing. and i love how the fans are for it.

Dallas FO: guys, our HC sucks, we need steak at every position

Fans: hell yea but well still JG.

Dallas FO: ok but you know we have to do this because our HC sucks.

Fans: we know we know we ll defend anything as long as its Dallas. Campo was a world beater, trust us. we got this.

Dallas FO: Fill the seats up, these guys ill buy anything.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
from the article:
Earl Thomas signed a 4 year, $40,000,000 contract with the Seattle Seahawks, including a $9,500,000 signing bonus, $25,725,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $10,000,000.

I can live with the $9.5M signing bonus .

$25.725M of $40M, meaning 64% of the total contract being guaranteed seems excessive, especially for a 30-year old who has missed 19 games the last 3 seasons.

I'd hope that they'd protect themselves and tie in his guarantees and bonuses to games played and other performance-related incentives.

No way. Way too much guaranteed for a guy whose leg exploded 2 of the last 3 years.

I'll be interested to see how much Thomas can get. He'll get the most at a 2nd tier team with a lot of cap room looking for a big name to put butts in the seats.

Cowboys could do a 1 year deal planning to churn a comp pick out of a healed Thomas. That seems possible. But it doesn't really fit with our current needs. They like Woods at FS, while Frazier and Heath only have 1 year left. Woods is very cheap. You've got to make use of cheap starters if you want to have money to spend where your don't have a cheap starter.

GenoT

Reaction score
Absolutely.

We need more help back there.

His injuries have not been serious at all.

Heath I like but he has no coverage skills.

We have Wolf Hunter and Smith to tackle in the mid secondary.

We need a playmaker like Thomas.

This is a no brainier.
The “shredding” that killed us vs Rams was their complete dominance of our O-line and D-line.

When your defensive front 7 can’t stop the run, OR rush the passer, it won’t matter if your safeties are HOFers.

InTheZone

Reaction score
ET will be called a bum by many by the end of the first season. Can't wait to see reactions throughout the season!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Absolutely.

We need more help back there.

His injuries have not been serious at all.

Heath I like but he has no coverage skills.

We have Wolf Hunter and Smith to tackle in the mid secondary.

We need a playmaker like Thomas.

This is a no brainier.
This is confusing. In the Cowboys playoff game against the Rams Goff only completed 53% of his passes, only had 186 yards, and didn’t throw for a TD. The Rams running game shredded the Cowboys, but their passing game was mostly ineffective.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Like the player, but DAL needs the cap for there young guys. At most, they should see what Amos would cost at SS. A cheap vet is Stephen's way, and I'm going to agree at this position...Vacarro.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'd welcome ET into the fold with no reservations if he humbled himself enough to give the Cowboys a highly affordable contract. Otherwise, forget it.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
4-years, $40 million you say?

Now, where have I heard that before?
:huh:

kskboys

Reaction score
Would you do this deal for Earl Thomas if you ran the Cowboys?
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...s-deal-for-earl-thomas-if-you-ran-the-cowboys

What, another Earl Thomas article connecting him with the Cowboys? Yes, that’s what’s happening. Now that Thomas is a free agent, there will be plenty of speculation about whether he will wear the Star until he either signs with Dallas or with another team.

When he was still with Seattle last year, we know that the Cowboys and the Seahawks had discussions about trading him, that went all the way back to the offseason before the draft. It never came to fruition but it did show Dallas had interest. Now that he’s a free agent, the question is just how much would it take to sign him? ESPN steps in and gives us a marker.

Dallas signs Thomas to a four-year, $40 million deal

It seems almost inevitable that the Cowboys will go after Earl Thomas, given his history in Texas and the presence of former Seahawks defensive coordinator Kris Richard on their coaching staff. With Tony Romo’s contract finally off the books, the Cowboys have the cap space to consummate their long-held interest in the future Hall of Famer...
You'd seriously give 10mil/season to an aging injury prone S?

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
And whose contract do you not extend, D-Lawnprence or Amari Cooper?

I was half joking.

But I wouldn’t extend Lawrence

Older and more injury issues despite being the more valuable position on most teams

kskboys

Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't want Earl Thomas doesn't know what a star player he is. One of the best defensive players in the league.

Players ranked him 66th best player in the league in 2018 from the 2017 season. When you consider how many positions there are and that there are 32 teams in the league, that there is offense and defense... you realize that instantly makes him a game-changing type player.

Best safety in the league.

Only the following defense players were ranked higher than him

#37 Joey Bosa, DE
#35 AJ Bouye, CB
#34 DeMarcus Lawrence, DE
#32 Jadeveon Clowney, DE
#28 Chandler Jones, DE
#26 Cameron Jordan, DE
#23 Patrick Peterson, CB
#21 Bobby Wagner, LB
#19 Everson Griffen, DE
#17 Jalen Ramsey, DE
#16 Khalil Mack, DE
#15 Calais Campbell, DE
#12 Luke Kuechly, LB
#9 Von Miller, LB
#7 Aaron Donald, DT

You'll notice this list is almost entirely defensive linemen.

Any chance you can get a player on this list, you absolutely do it. Particularly when it is at a position of need and the player wants to come here...

People against him coming here are absolutely on drugs. You can barely find a better fit out there.

Cowboys were #6th in points allowed on defense, but there are warts on the defense.

22nd in Defensive Passer rating and we had 9 interceptions all year. Earl Thomas played in 4 games last year and had 3 interceptions. He would make a very young secondary significantly better instantly, which would be great when paired with a young but up and coming linebacker corps. If the defensive line can become consistent, you're looking at a top 3 defense in the NFL.
And anyone who wants to pay him a huge salary really needs to work on their evaluation skills.

Kaiser

Reaction score
earl Thomas was having an all pro season before his injury. he can transform this defense.

Exactly, he is one of the best safties in the NFL and he is a major playmaker. We desperately need playmakers and have plenty of money to spend.

I think the deal was done long ago and Thomas signs the first day of the FA period.

Kaiser

Reaction score
And whose contract do you not extend, D-Lawnprence or Amari Cooper?

Extending DLaw very likely makes his 2019 cap hit lower than it was this year, not higher.

If you make Amari Cooper the highest paid WR in the NFL next year you would only add 8 Million to our 2019 salary cap.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Would you do this deal for Earl Thomas if you ran the Cowboys?
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...s-deal-for-earl-thomas-if-you-ran-the-cowboys

What, another Earl Thomas article connecting him with the Cowboys? Yes, that’s what’s happening. Now that Thomas is a free agent, there will be plenty of speculation about whether he will wear the Star until he either signs with Dallas or with another team.

When he was still with Seattle last year, we know that the Cowboys and the Seahawks had discussions about trading him, that went all the way back to the offseason before the draft. It never came to fruition but it did show Dallas had interest. Now that he’s a free agent, the question is just how much would it take to sign him? ESPN steps in and gives us a marker.

Dallas signs Thomas to a four-year, $40 million deal

It seems almost inevitable that the Cowboys will go after Earl Thomas, given his history in Texas and the presence of former Seahawks defensive coordinator Kris Richard on their coaching staff. With Tony Romo’s contract finally off the books, the Cowboys have the cap space to consummate their long-held interest in the future Hall of Famer...
First of all, if I ran the C Cowboys I would have weekly parties with the cheerleaders with an ice cream bar
I would call Brittany Spears and say, "hey, baby I am rich, lass."
Then I would buy a Golden Corral. That would please mum.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was half joking.

But I wouldn’t extend Lawrence

Older and more injury issues despite being the more valuable position on most teams
Lawrence isn’t older than ET though, and I’m not sure we can say he has more injury issues than ET either.