News: Would you do this deal for Earl Thomas if you ran the Cowboys?

CCBoy

Reaction score
I would hope they won't overpay him, but with Jerry, if he is hot after a player he'll do whatever it takes to get him.

Of course if he comes here, I'll support him all the way, if he is a team player. Not so sure about that, seems to me he thinks he's the savior of the Dallas defense, running over to a coach and saying "sign me" isn't a good sign to me, though I could be interpreting that wrong, can't read the guy's mind...

Some people have loyalties that they have carried all their lives. There is an element that a veteran brings to the table, that binds a young team together, and that is called leadership. He already has good playoff experiences, and that is needed as well as youthful exuberance.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Would you do this deal for Earl Thomas if you ran the Cowboys?
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...s-deal-for-earl-thomas-if-you-ran-the-cowboys

What, another Earl Thomas article connecting him with the Cowboys? Yes, that’s what’s happening. Now that Thomas is a free agent, there will be plenty of speculation about whether he will wear the Star until he either signs with Dallas or with another team.

When he was still with Seattle last year, we know that the Cowboys and the Seahawks had discussions about trading him, that went all the way back to the offseason before the draft. It never came to fruition but it did show Dallas had interest. Now that he’s a free agent, the question is just how much would it take to sign him? ESPN steps in and gives us a marker.

Dallas signs Thomas to a four-year, $40 million deal

It seems almost inevitable that the Cowboys will go after Earl Thomas, given his history in Texas and the presence of former Seahawks defensive coordinator Kris Richard on their coaching staff. With Tony Romo’s contract finally off the books, the Cowboys have the cap space to consummate their long-held interest in the future Hall of Famer...

No.

He is (will be) 30. And coming off injury.

Give him a one year deal. Incentiv ladden.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Given the fact there are several FA safeties I would start contacting others as well as Thomas. No way I pay Thomas what he was asking for in Seattle but would look see if his interest in playing for Dallas is legit or not. Big money FA that are younger would be a consideration.

CCBoy

Reaction score
No.

He is (will be) 30. And coming off injury.

Give him a one year deal. Incentiv ladden.

That would be foolish, as he was a quality player at the point of injury...proving himself out well.

Market value will be at the suggested mark or even higher for a few teams. He is liked by Dallas and coaches as well. Naw, he would fit, if the money was basically up front, but not a pillow contract. Just protect the age aspect, which Stephen well knows about already.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would hope they won't overpay him, but with Jerry, if he is hot after a player he'll do whatever it takes to get him.

Of course if he comes here, I'll support him all the way, if he is a team player. Not so sure about that, seems to me he thinks he's the savior of the Dallas defense, running over to a coach and saying "sign me" isn't a good sign to me, though I could be interpreting that wrong, can't read the guy's mind...

This is just my interpretation from everything I've seen and heard, but I've never seen the guy have a problem with his teammates or position coaches, but more with management. He was angry that the Seahawks never gave him the long term contract he was looking for. And I have no doubt that at one time he was pushing to get paid even more money than he already was, and looking to eclipse Eric Berry's deal.

But several factors have changed since that point:
  1. He's two years older
  2. He's had another season ended due to injury
  3. Safety contracts are going down, nit up
  4. The Chiefs are regretting the Berry contract
Add those all together, and I'm expecting a contract close to what's mentioned here, if not lower. And if it is announced like this one, I'd expect it to be heavily backloaded where it's essentially a two or three year deal with team options for the last year or two.

And like you, if his contract demands are too high? I'm out. Go find another sucker.

CCBoy

Reaction score
7. S Earl Thomas: He's probably the league's premier safety in the post-Polamalu/Reed era. A broken leg ended Thomas' 2018 campaign after four games, and he's missed 19 starts over the past three seasons after starting every game in his first six years. The bigger concern about Thomas, 29, could be some of the me-first business antics he employed, similar to Bell in 2018, skipping Seattle's offseason program, training camp and some practices even after the regular season began. But a lucrative new contract would probably serve as an elixir for such an accomplished play maker.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...could-be-available/ar-BBTr8aM?ocid=spartandhp

Sydla

Reaction score
The details are what matters. 4 years, $40MM doesn't tell me much.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
That would be foolish, as he was a quality player at the point of injury...proving himself out well.

Market value will be at the suggested mark or even higher for a few teams. He is liked by Dallas and coaches as well. Naw, he would fit, if the money was basically up front, but not a pillow contract. Just protect the age aspect, which Stephen well knows about already.

First: Dont think Stephen knows something, understands things. He is an idiot like his father. But he is surrounded by talent that knows. The major difference between him and his father is that Stephens seems to know he is an idiot and listens to those he is surrounded by. And thats a change for the good.

Second i dont really bade my decissions on what others would give him. That to me is foolish. I base my decissions on what i need, where i want to be in the future (my goals) and the risks i am willing to take.

And i dont players only based on what they did in the past. I pay players for their potential. And a 30 year old safety is way beyond his zenith. He may have 2 more good years and after that will decline. This together with his injury he may need one season to be where he was before the injury.

Because of all those uncertanities there is no way i would pay him like other good safeties. And never i would give him a longterm deal. This thing was over last year. Now he is way too old.

GMO415

Reaction score
It ain't my money and I don't have the time to get involved the financial matters of Dallas. Sure sign him .

CCBoy

Reaction score
First: Dont think Stephen knows something, understands things. He is an idiot like his father. But he is surrounded by talent that knows. The major difference between him and his father is that Stephens seems to know he is an idiot and listens to those he is surrounded by. And thats a change for the good.

Second i dont really dont make my decissions by what others would give him. That to me is foolish. I base my decissions on what i need, where i want to be in the future (my goals) and the risks i am willing to take.

And i dont players only based on what they did in the past. I pay players for their potential. And a 30 year old safety is way beyond his zenith. He may have 2 more good years and after that will decline. This together with his injury he may need one season to be where he was before the injury.

Because of all those uncertanities there is no way i would pay him like other good safties. And never i would give him a longterm deal. This thing was over last year. Now he is way too old.

...and you have NEVER been responsible for major cash flows or a team level of a sport's team. A biased and youthful set of stereotypes applies poorly to the NFL in today's market.

It doesn't matter what emotion one throws up as the real value behind an opinion. It still has to ring from truth applied to specific cases...or it rings only as a bias.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
All you have to do is look at what happened to the S position in FA in 2018 and see these guys arent going to get big money.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
...and you have NEVER been responsible for major cash flows or a team level of a sport's team.

No you are right. With sports team.

But that doesnt change my argumentation. Nor does it provide any good argument against mine by you.

Keep it on topic. Stop arguing with emotions.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
"he's missed 19 starts over the past three seasons after starting every game in his first six years"

Big red flag. That's over 6 games a season missed, and he ain't getting any younger.

NO way I'm giving him a 4 year deal or $40 mil...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First off, give me all the details. What will his signing prevent the team form doing to both of the lines? The DL needs help in the middle and the OL needs help. Will signing him negatively affect the more important part of the team?

I don't like him because of his actions but putting that second to can he help the team seems to be the Cowboy way. While he is 30, he has not played the full compliment of games per season so he might have more tread on those tires and there is no ball hawk in the secondary, he would immediately address the lack of ball skills as long as he can stay healthy.

The interesting part of this is just how hard will his old ball coach want them to go after him? And why isn't his present team, a playoff team, not wanting to keep him? Don't they need a S and a leader? That's always my first question about a coach or a player and I had it about Richard and I have it about him, why were/are they available?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"he's missed 19 starts over the past three seasons after starting every game in his first six years"

Big red flag. That's over 6 games a season missed, and he ain't getting any younger.

NO way I'm giving him a 4 year deal or $40 mil...
The only counter to that is that the two main injuries were broken legs and broken bones are a different type of injury from soft tissue and are unusual to recur.

But at 30, will he be the same player SEA paid the same amount of money and he played in a secondary loaded with talent and a better DL and front 7 than the Cowboys have. When considering FA D players, they should consider the whole before looking at the part.

CCBoy

Reaction score
No you are right. With sports team.

But that doesnt change my argumentation. Nor does it provide any good argument against mine by you.

Keep it on topic.

First off, sports stars are prima dona's...but they do have market value and are upset when they are denied. Such as with Bell, in Pittsburgh, he had a point, and at his point in career, was being low balled by his team. Thomas flinched as did Bell in a similar situation.

You pay market value for talent in sports. In basketball, another sport but at the high dollar and professional level, top dollar is out of control. Oh, I enjoy watching, but that kind of money? That said, they get what the market can support.

The same will compare in the NFL...just our way of life now, in sport.

What I don't like seeing entering into the considerations, colusion among players trying to shape free agency itself...and pile up on a single team through personal agreements of stocking a particular team. That takes market considerations and fan loyalties out of the picture...

But this conversation is centered upon Thomas.

If bias is the attribute demonstrated, I call that straight up.

Six seasons without missing a game and a couple of injury seasons with injury. An abstract number 30, hasn't been demonstrated as the functional element with this player. He was top shelf for the four games that he played in this past season. He shined in the game against Dallas!

As to cap numbers, at the talked about contract range, he would not be receiving top contract money for a safety.

If one is going to talk....TALK.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only counter to that is that the two main injuries were broken legs and broken bones are a different type of injury from soft tissue and are unusual to recur.

But at 30, will he be the same player SEA paid the same amount of money and he played in a secondary loaded with talent and a better DL and front 7 than the Cowboys have. When considering FA D players, they should consider the whole before looking at the part.

He looked fine without those guys last year in Seattle when he did play. And that was after holding out from all offseason activities.