Would you guys take Derek Carr over Dak next year?

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
Would you guys take Derek Carr over Dak next year? Before this season started, I would’ve said “frick” no. However, after seeing the way this entire season has played out, I gotta say- I have a lot more concerns regarding Dak and the overall future of this team now than I did prior to the season.

As for Derek Carr, he has played lights out this season and is a free agent at the end of the year. Tbh, and I know this will be unpopular, but I would rather take DC at this point in time. I don’t trust Dak anymore. Point blank period.

What say the rest of y’all?

817Gill

Reaction score
Would you guys take Derek Carr over Dak next year? Before this season started, I would’ve said “frick” no. However, after seeing the way this entire season has played out, I gotta say- I have a lot more concerns regarding Dak and the overall future of this team now than I did prior to the season.

As for Derek Carr, he has played lights out this season and is a free agent at the end of the year. Tbh, and I know this will be unpopular, but I would rather take DC at this point in time. I don’t trust Dak anymore. Point blank period.

You gotta pay him and he’s in the same tier as Dak. Not elite but has moments of top-end play. Not consistent for full seasons, always has stretches/multiple games where he seems off. Not extremely aggressive but can make all the throws. He’s a 7-10 overall QB and a guy who’s a B+/A-. He can have A+ games as well as C+ games.

I think it’s a lateral move, especially if you have to pay Carr market value.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
He's been bad or mediocre more times than Dak this year, and has made 1 playoffs in 7 years. (That one game vs the Cowboys is a one game sample size) He has a chance this year to make his 2nd playoffs ever. Don't give me the Raiders have less talent thing, every team has a chance to succeed in this league with this kind of system in place. There's way less expectations with Carr than there is with Dak, that's why he's still keeping his job even after so long with 1 playoff appearance.

Also, I don't think they're the same QB. Carr is a career 92.4 passer and Dak's a career 98.0 passer. I think Dak is in the 6-9 range, while Carr is in the 10-15 range usually.

Last edited:

817Gill

Reaction score
Meh, not really an upgrade so why bother?
Yup. One thing we have to accept or understand is that there’s only a few elite QB’s. Outside of the top 4/5 guys everyone has their warts. If you’d like to upgrade from Dak you need a premium (top 5) draft pick or a clear and obvious chance at one of those elite guys. The latter of which rarely happens and we preform too well annually to get a top 5 pick.

Best bet is continue to draft at a high level and make sure the coaching and depth is consistent. I thought we had that but the more and more I’m seeing in terms of the scheme on O the less I believe it. These route concepts and running game schemes give me Garrett flashbacks.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Some would say just draft a QB early to create competition. One guy pushing the other is not a bad idea. It's actually the reason I wanted Romo to start in the 2016 playoffs.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

They are equal quarterbacks. You saw that on Thanksgiving.Carr is about sign a big extension with the Raiders. There is a big difference being the quarterback of the Raiders then being the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. I don’t see how you can trust one over the other.

plasticman

Reaction score
I want competition at the quarterback position, the type that points to a positive future. in other words, the Cowboys need to get serious about the position and dedicate some draft value.

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
He's been bad or mediocre more times than Dak this year, and has made 1 playoffs in 7 years. (That one game vs the Cowboys is a one game sample size) He has a chance this year to make his 2nd playoffs ever. Don't give me the Raiders have less talent thing, every team has a chance to succeed in this league with this kind of system in place. There's way less expectations with Carr than there is with Dak, that's why he's still keeping his job even after so long with 1 playoff appearance.

Also, I don't think they're the same QB. Carr is a career 92.4 passer and Dak's a career 98.0 passer. I think Dak is in the 6-9 range, while Carr is in the 10-15 range usually.

But I have to and will give you the Raiders have less talent thing, and not just that, but also the Raiders ARE THE RAIDERS thing. That was a dysfunctional franchise to the max- really until this year, and look what they did??

To me, Carr has an opportunity to be a Drew Brees-type situation- good-to-great QB at times on a ****** team/franchise who starts fresh elsewhere and becomes a perennial pro bowler. Not saying he’ll be Brees, but has that kinda ability.

Adreme

Reaction score
For people saying to draft a QB, I think here is an easier way to show why it is a bad idea. The Cowboys could have done that exact thing last year and instead they went with Parsons. So to anyone would you rather have drafted a QB to create a competition, that they probably lose, or would you rather have Micah Parsons? This is the conversation that you have every single year when people say "just draft competition" because right now you also need some new OL talent, probably a new starting WR cause you are likely to lose 2, 1-2 new DL players, and most of a secondary as high draft needs.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
But I have to and will give you the Raiders have less talent thing, and not just that, but also the Raiders ARE THE RAIDERS thing. That was a dysfunctional franchise to the max- really until this year, and look what they did??

To me, Carr has an opportunity to be a Drew Brees-type situation- good-to-great QB at times on a ****** team/franchise who starts fresh elsewhere and becomes a perennial pro bowler. Not saying he’ll be Brees, but has that kinda ability.

Guess what... Cowboys are a dysfunctional franchise too. Have not made a conference championship in 25 years - and that's with all the other QBs not just Dak. At least the Raiders had that first era (altho brief) with Gannon and Gruden which is better than anything the Cowboys have done in 25 years. Cowboys don't deserve to have any higher expectations than the Raiders. The Raiders were a juggernaut in the 70s and 80s, actually won 3 championships for the longest time before we sniffed our 3rd. Don't act like the Raiders are way below us on the totem pole and we deserve any higher expectations than them.

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
Guess what... Cowboys are a dysfunctional franchise too. Have not made a conference championship in 25 years - and that's with all the other QBs not just Dak. At least the Raiders had that first era (altho brief) with Gannon and Gruden which is better than anything the Cowboys have done in 25 years. Cowboys don't deserve to have any higher expectations than the Raiders. The Raiders were a juggernaut in the 70s and 80s, actually won 3 championships for the longest time before we sniffed our 3rd. Don't act like the Raiders are way below us on the totem pole and we deserve any higher expectations than them.

You know what lol as I was typing that post, I actually thought this as well. You are correct sir. We are as dysfunctional as any rn and until we win something of importance, we will remain that way.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
For people saying to draft a QB, I think here is an easier way to show why it is a bad idea. The Cowboys could have done that exact thing last year and instead they went with Parsons. So to anyone would you rather have drafted a QB to create a competition, that they probably lose, or would you rather have Micah Parsons? This is the conversation that you have every single year when people say "just draft competition" because right now you also need some new OL talent, probably a new starting WR cause you are likely to lose 2, 1-2 new DL players, and most of a secondary as high draft needs.
Big difference in where they are drafting and what the team looks like from then to now. Big difference in starting QB salary and age.
Is Dak going to get the job done this year, or fold? Lots of questions.
Could competition push Dak to a higher level? One that wins it all?

Unless Dallas wins it all this year, IMO, they should at least consider taking a QB fairly high. At least if that said QB is BPA, and Dallas thinks he will be starting in the next 3 years.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
You gotta pay him and he’s in the same tier as Dak. Not elite but has moments of top-end play. Not consistent for full seasons, always has stretches/multiple games where he seems off. Not extremely aggressive but can make all the throws. He’s a 7-10 overall QB and a guy who’s a B+/A-. He can have A+ games as well as C+ games.

I think it’s a lateral move, especially if you have to pay Carr market value.

I love the smell or roster churning in the morning, smells like... well, not victory...