Would you hire Wade Phillips as DC?

John813

Reaction score
I think if MM wanted to transition to a 3-4 Wade would a be good transition DC coach. Not a long term guy but could give us a nice short term window boost.

Reactions: BAT

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NO.
I hated it when Parcells went to the 3-4. this set the team back, then after Parcells quit on the team, it forced Jerry to hire Wade to keep the 3-4. Then in came the spawn of Buddy, making it even worse.
Then to Garrett that went back to the 4-3, once again a change so sets the team back to as how they draft. Enter Monty & Rod. One fiasco after another.

Now I will give MM time, as I did all the others. Hopefully Nolan can get this going in the right direction. It had been 2 games. I will wait before I start making any judgments.
Get Lee & LVE back, as now Brown as well. Get Awuzie and Diggs, from their hopefully minor dings healed up. See what happens.

For once I wish we had a bye week after game 4 or 5. Used to all the time, then we complained, why not until later, Now we have them week 7 or 8. Which is fine, but sure could use on soon.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know the question is a little unfair to Nolan after only 2 games and it would mean switching back to 3-4 but he's an unappreciated DC. Remember MM used the 3-4 scheme for years as Packer HC.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...sing-high-school-and-college-coaches-on-zoom/

Wade Phillips wants a job, currently advising high school and college coaches on Zoom
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 26, 2020, 6:35 AM EDT

I agree about him being under appreciated, and I feel that his resume should be good enough for him to still have a job in the league.

But given the construction of the current Cowboys, I am opposed to a wholesale change to the 3-4 at this time. We have 4-3 pass rushers. Let them do what they do well.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
On the one hand, of course, he's one of the best DCs ever.

But, Mike needs to have the staff he wants, and because Phillips was here before and already had a relationship with Jerry, that could make things awkward. What we don't need ever again is this situation we had when he was HC where his coordinator was more loyal to the owner than to the HC. I don't think that would ever be a problem with Wade because he isn't like that, but still, the perception wouldn't be good.

Reactions: BAT

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I don’t know if Nolan is the answer or not, but anyone who thinks we have the players on that side of the field that will be a top 10 defense under someone else is just kidding him/her self.

LB core is one more injury from disaster.
Secondary is decimated.
DL is adjusting to new techniques.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know the question is a little unfair to Nolan after only 2 games and it would mean switching back to 3-4 but he's an unappreciated DC. Remember MM used the 3-4 scheme for years as Packer HC.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...sing-high-school-and-college-coaches-on-zoom/

Wade Phillips wants a job, currently advising high school and college coaches on Zoom
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 26, 2020, 6:35 AM EDT

Fans are already having a meltdown because Nolan has DLaw and Griffen standing up at times...

Nolan is already run a multiple front defense. They played a lot of 3-4 vs the Rams.

If Nolan is problem, which I do not believe, they would just promote George Edwards to DC.

I think they might have hired Edwards as DC originally if the timing had been right but Edwards had some interviews for HC jobs and didn't want to commit to a non HC job until that was over.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Yes and yes. Wade is not a great head coach. But he is a darn good defensive coordinator. Our defense looks like Monte Kiffin is back in charge...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Do you mean ever or right now? The reason Nolan’s defense isn’t performing well is not a shock to those who understand the importance of practice. It takes time to implement scheme changes and get players comfortable which Nolan didn’t get nearly enough of.

I always say this isn’t Madden where you just get 99 rated players and crush regardless of scheme.

So if Nolan had 3 weeks of some semblance of practice and zoom meetings in the offseason and it’s not close to enough, why would Wade Phillips work mid season?

Stop with the fantasy football ideas.

Lol.

Some of y'alls

What do you expect from a D that had to deal with 5 turnovers?

If my D holds the opponents to 2 TDs after those turn overs, I'm calling it good enough. You gotta put at least 15 points on the O. That would means our D is responsible for 21 and 23 points so far.

That should be more than enough to get it done given our offensive fire power

cowboyec

Reaction score
no.
i liked the Nolan hiring.
he deserves more than a little bit.

quickccc

Reaction score
We don't have the personnel to run a 3-4. So.. no.

DE - Hill
NT- Poe
DE - Griffin

OLB - DLaw
MLB- LVE
MLB- Jaylon
OLB - Aldon/Gregory

As it is right now, ...no.. we really are not build for it with this current roster on a full time basis.

And we have to keep in mind that Griffin and Aldon are on one year contracts ..so their future here is uncertain.
i don't see Poe coming back next year and he'll be replaced by a new starting NT.

Also keep in mind that all 3-4 schemes don't operate the same.
Such as Wade Phillps and Rob Ryan's 3-4 schemes are one gap oriented. While most 3-4 seem to gear towards 2 gaps.

quickccc

Reaction score
Yes in a heart beat. Even at his age, he is still a high quality DC.

So why is Wade still on the streets ?

As highly qualified as you say, you would think a team sorely needy of such a defensive DC would have scooped him up as soon as he was released.
Much like the Rams did when Broncos surprisingly let Phillips go.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think if MM wanted to transition to a 3-4 Wade would a be good transition DC coach. Not a long term guy but could give us a nice short term window boost.
DE - Hill
NT- Poe
DE - Griffin

OLB - DLaw
MLB- LVE
MLB- Jaylon
OLB - Aldon/Gregory

As it is right now, ...no.. we really are not build for it with this current roster on a full time basis.

And we have to keep in mind that Griffin and Aldon are on one year contracts ..so their future here is uncertain.
i don't see Poe coming back next year and he'll be replaced by a new starting NT.

Such as Wade Phillps and Rob Ryan's 3-4 schemes are one gap oriented. While most 3-4 seem to gear towards 2 gaps.
NO.
I hated it when Parcells went to the 3-4. this set the team back, then after Parcells quit on the team, it forced Jerry to hire Wade to keep the 3-4. Then in came the spawn of Buddy, making it even worse.
Then to Garrett that went back to the 4-3, once again a change so sets the team back to as how they draft. Enter Monty & Rod. One fiasco after another.

Now I will give MM time, as I did all the others. Hopefully Nolan can get this going in the right direction. It had been 2 games. I will wait before I start making any judgments.
Get Lee & LVE back, as now Brown as well. Get Awuzie and Diggs, from their hopefully minor dings healed up. See what happens.

For once I wish we had a bye week after game 4 or 5. Used to all the time, then we complained, why not until later, Now we have them week 7 or 8. Which is fine, but sure could use on soon.

DC Mike Nolan and DL coach Jim Tomsula have both coached the 3-4.

The current scheme is a multiple front defense.

The 3-4 is a run defense alignment. That is why they used it much more against the Rams than against the Falcons.

Most snaps are in Nickel which is a 4 man DL (regardless of whether the DEs have their hand down or stand up).

Majic

Reaction score
no.
i liked the Nolan hiring.
he deserves more than a little bit.
Totally agree, give Mike a couple of years. The DEF needs rebuilding. We've just had 8 seasons or so of the 4-3 and it was predictable and we had no success with it. We invested in players that are not versatile enough. Would really like to see the Cowboys concentrate on getting players that can play both 4-3 and 3-4. Lets take a leaf out of what BB does in New England

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Phillips was fine for his game planning but was far too tame when players messed up.

Bum was just the same. Both of 'em spoiled players. Over time, their players got lazy.

Wade and his father both weren't disciplinarians, by any stretch of one's imagination!

Last edited:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
DE - Hill
NT- Poe
DE - Griffin

OLB - DLaw
MLB- LVE
MLB- Jaylon
OLB - Aldon/Gregory

Yep, agreed. Other than Aldon, that LB core looks pitiful. DLaw cashed in and doesn't even want to rush the passer out of a 3 pt stance anymore, much less standing up. And I have no confidence in LVE's or Jaylon's physicality (or ability to hold up) in a 3-4 scheme.

Poe isn't looking so great this year either.