Would You rather pay Dak $40m or spread it around on defense?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Who are you to know what exactly is going on with the negotiations?
Your speculations are as good as anyone at this point.:espn:
The only fact that is certain is that as of June the 1st 2020 Dak remains unsigned.
What does this have to do with my post you replied to?

Valkyr

Reaction score
I wonder who told Dalton that haircut was a good idea.

BigDakEnergy

Reaction score
Just on the defense, I would have liked us to sign Damarious Randall. Thought he really improved at the Browns moving to FS.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Yep, I can't read..

But to be sure, do you mean to insinuate that Dak's agent isn't asking for 45, in order to counter-offer down from an inflated initial bargaining position?

I'm pretty sure, most skillful negotiators start out asking for the moon, just to repeatedly counter-offer in "good faith," so as to "meet in the middle," while actually arriving at a figure they always considered ideal from the outset.

The problem with Dak's camp is that he'd poisoning the water hole, if he doesn't perform at levels that aren't even attainable, the entire team and most of the fan base will utterly hate him for decimating our teams competitiveness, for nothing more than his raw greed. I'd bet he'd sell Zeke and Cooper down the river, just to make a couple million more...

*Newsflash* Leading a football team doesn't involve worshiping money, and doing everything necessary to bite, claw, and scrounge his way for a few more dollars. It's pretty pathetic.

I thought the guy had high character, but his selfishness screams failure, and I fear he'll never even return to 2016 levels of play..

If you want to do it right as a Dallas Cowboy, you learn to play the game Jerry's been peddling with current and former Cowboys for decades, which is nothing more than simply playing nicely with the organization while leaving it all on the field. Nobody is going to sit here and claim Jerry hasn't always attempted to pay and overpay his guys. That said, Dak's apparently so self-centered that even Jerry, as deluded and senile as he is, can't even be convinced - that's a pretty impressive feat..

If Dak gets anything close to what he's asking, not only will be forever box himself into a future of unrealistic expectations, constant scorn, and unrelenting criticism, but he'll be subjected to this all while suiting up with an inferior team, just because he's apparently a selfish punk. People that blinded can't be trusted to actually give a crap about the team.

Show me a guy willing to give concessions in a salary negotiation like this, in honor and respect for the Dallas Cowboys, and I'll show you a man setting himself up to be an undying legend, with generational wealth so vast his great grandchildren will be trust fund babies...

Dak just doesn't understand Texas or what it means to be a real Dallas Cowboy, and he makes me sick... I wish he'd go back to that guy who said and did everything you could ask for in 2016, but that seems like a distant memory now...

You can't win with a player like that; I'm sorry to all the Dak supporters, but it's true...
The rumor was that if Dak were to agree to a 5th year, it would cost $45M. Only the 5th year would be $45M, not the entire contract. Anyway, it is a rumor that has apparently been debunked.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The rumor was that if Dak were to agree to a 5th year, it would cost $45M. Only the 5th year would be $45M, not the entire contract. Anyway, it is a rumor that has apparently been debunked.
it is what it was a false rumor....started by some Sports TMZ personalities.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with Dak, per se, but it just irks me when a player can't even offer a semblance of compromise out of honor and respect the TEAM he's supposed to love..

Even a small concession from Dak would do wonders for his perception, so I guess my problem with him is the inability to part with even some nominal amount of money. It screams tacky, and to me, it demonstrates where his true prerogatives lie..

I just wish he'd do something like take a million dollar loss on the deal, something small, to demonstrate that his commitment to the team means a little more than the money he can exploit from the game...

It's the same reason, we all loved those true-blue Dallas Cowboy players, who showed fans that being a Dallas Cowboy was the most important thing to them... I just totally lose allegiance and interest in a person with no loyalty, and who doesn't honor anything properly because they're otherwise totally caught up in that little extra cash, which somehow matters...

I've gotta speak the truth; money won't make you happy. But true and loyal friends, family, and teammates aren't even capable of being appraised...

Go Cowboys...
The game of football is a business to the players as much as it is to the owners. The owners want to squeeze every dollar of profit out of the game that they can. Why should the players accept less money out of honor or respect? Especially considering the short shelf life of most NFL players. They need to get whatever than can to set themselves and their families up for the future. Those "true blue" cowboys of the past would have done the same thing if there had been free agency prior to 1994. Don't kid yourself that the majority of these guys are out there playing for honor and respect.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Pay Dak the $40-45M he's so selfishly demanding or spread that cash around on the defense???

Imagine the players we could acquire for that kind of coin!!

dallas-signs-qb-andy-dalton-to-1-year-deal-1000x600.jpg

Please, Jerry!!! Please just let Dak walk for nothing and roll Dalton, then go out and spend that money on an ELITE defense...

Try to justify it anyway you can, but Dak simply does not embody the heart and attitude of a true Dallas Cowboys' QB1 - it's a privilege, and he doesn't have any business in that roll - to bad, he isn't able to look past his covetous desires as necessary to build up the entire TEAM, so he might actually win a SB..

Anyone who actually believes Dak wants a SB has got to have serious issues - he's obviously only concerned with one thing: his money, and grubbing for every single dirty penny he can steal from the team...

Please, Jerry - eliminate the problem NOW. Show all the players that being a Dallas Cowboy means more than worshiping money; instead, guys like Troy knew exactly what it being the DC QB1 is really all about - WINNING...
This is the most asinine thinking I have seen since....yesterday.

Jerry Jones had 4 years to spread money out to the defense when Dak Prescott was on a rookie deal.

Did he do that? No. Is he still trying to strike it rich with unreliable and unavailable players instead of drafting and signing reliable and available defensive players that would take cap space? Yes. Can you have a franchise paid QB and sign/draft defensive players? Not in Jerry's World. Why Jerry Jones let all of the defensive players drafted by Parcells go? See why I call him Jerry Dumbo GM Jones.

Jerry Dumbo GM Jones let go the whole secondary from the 2016 team, all the LBs that were healthy, and all the reliable DL beside Lawrence (who up to that point played 1 reliable year after suspension). That is losing starters and depth from every area on defense (DL, LB, DB). While Dak and Elliott were on rookie deals, did he sign that great defensive game changer or draft that great defensive game change in 2016. 2017, 2018, or 2019 (if you think Lawrence is not a great defensive game changer)? The answer is NO.

When QB is the most important position on a football team, getting rid of your team leader, 3 time Pro Bowler, Playoff winning, 2 playoff qualifying, most wins in Cowboy History first 4 seasons, 97.0 passer rating, and highest first 4 season completing passes QB makes no sense, is asinine, and has me still saying what is the REAL reason you do not want Dak Prescott at QB for America's Team?

READ MY PRINT! Jerry Dumbo GM Jones is not going to spread money on defense or he would have done it for the past 4 years. He is a showman and the show is on offense see Elliott, Cooper, drafting Lamb, and eventually he will sign the QB just like he signed Romo with all those Parcells defensive players headed out the door. Jerry Jones goes show on offense and luck on defense.

plasticman

Reaction score
Would I vastly degrade a proven offense in order to gamble that I can improve the defense by adding or keeping veteran players who either underperformed on the Cowboy team or who wasn't valued enough by their previous team to be kept?

The difference between Dak and Dalton is huge, I know many disagree. I'm simply basing this on heir most recent performances. granted Dak was given far more to work with, still, I don't believe Dalton is capable of taking advantage of that talent.

Yes, 40 million more and you could get one of those talented safeties and pick up Clowney, perhaps one or two more moves, but who else? You can't just give it away because you have it. Don't forget, only 11 defenders on the field at a time. You don't want to overpay rotational players.

If you could guarantee 30 INT's then I would consider the defense.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
How do you know he is asking for 37?
The offer was 35 a year for 5 years, then dak and agent said they wanted a extra 10 mil for the 5th year, which would add 2 mi per yr avg.
it is all hear say like all the info we have.
But to get dak to sign a 5 year deal it will cost more than 35 a year.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Pay Dak the $40-45M he's so selfishly demanding or spread that cash around on the defense???

Please, Jerry!!! Please just let Dak walk for nothing and roll Dalton, then go out and spend that money on an ELITE defense...

Try to justify it anyway you can, but Dak simply does not embody the heart and attitude of a true Dallas Cowboys' QB1 - it's a privilege, and he doesn't have any business in that roll - to bad, he isn't able to look past his covetous desires as necessary to build up the entire TEAM, so he might actually win a SB..

Anyone who actually believes Dak wants a SB has got to have serious issues - he's obviously only concerned with one thing: his money, and grubbing for every single dirty penny he can steal from the team...

Please, Jerry - eliminate the problem NOW. Show all the players that being a Dallas Cowboy means more than worshiping money; instead, guys like Troy knew exactly what it being the DC QB1 is really all about - WINNING...

Yeah, that much money for Dak would be a mistake. If he won't sign for 35 mil a year, go with Dalton and draft a QB.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score

He isn't asking for 40-45 milion so your point is moot

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The offer was 35 a year for 5 years, then dak and agent said they wanted a extra 10 mil for the 5th year, which would add 2 mi per yr avg.
it is all hear say like all the info we have.
But to get dak to sign a 5 year deal it will cost more than 35 a year.
Of course, this is the same media that at various times over the last several months has claimed Dak is asking anywhere from $34-40 million/year.

But assuming this is true, I wasn't quite understanding your comment about $37 million being the asking price before, but I get where you are coming from now. And it does make sense that Dak would want something extra for that 5th year because the reason he wants to limit to 4 years (according to reports) is to take advantage of the current market after 4 years. Naturally he would want something extra to forego that opportunity.

The biggest factor, in my eyes, is really the guaranteed money. The average only matters if the team if the team keeps the player the full time, but if the team were to release Dak because of an injury or being in a salary cap bind or whatever the case, what matters is the amount Dak is guaranteed to receive.