Would you take a DE in the 2nd?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Only if the DE was higher rated than a DT, DT is a bigger need, all other things being equal I'd take the DT...

cowboyec

Reaction score
I'm not high on Jaylon Ferguson. I'm not sure why but I've feel like he's going to be a meh player in the NFL.
I like his size...gets after the QB.
he just looks like a Cowboy but I think he goes somewhere between bottom of Rd1 or early Rd2.

Sydla

Reaction score
Would I?

Absolutely if the right guy is there. You can never have enough DEs and frankly, I think we only have 3 - Lawrence, Gregory and Armstrong (and that's based just on projection). Charlton is likely a lost cause at this point, nothing more than a body at DE.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Only if the DE was higher rated than a DT, DT is a bigger need, all other things being equal I'd take the DT...

Yea DT is my priority, I’m just wondering what people’s througts are if there isn’t something good available at our biggest areas of need ( DT / S IMO).

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea DT is my priority, I’m just wondering what people’s througts are if there isn’t something good available at our biggest areas of need ( DT / S IMO).

They can use a very talented player at most positions.

DT - A rookie could start here or be a significant contributor in the rotation.
Slot WR - A rookie could start here (Depending on Beasley and Free Agents)
TE - A rookie could start here.
Safety - A rookie could start here.

OT - A rookie could be the top backup and starter in 2020.
DE - A rookie could be a significant contributor in the rotation.
CB - Could replace Byron Jones in 2020.

Outside WR - Could get significant playing time allowing Cooper to play more snaps in the slot.
RB - The right backup RB could get a decent amount of playing time (A healthy Lance Dunbar type. Some of these types are also punt returners and part-time slot WRs).
OG - Not likely to start as a rookie Multiple other options (C.Williams, Sua-Filo, Looney, Ehinger and even La'el if Williams moved to RT).
LB - Not likely to start as a rookie. The SLB position could be open for competition but the SLB is used less than 30% of the snaps.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would I?

Absolutely if the right guy is there. You can never have enough DEs and frankly, I think we only have 3 - Lawrence, Gregory and Armstrong (and that's based just on projection). Charlton is likely a lost cause at this point, nothing more than a body at DE.

What exactly has Dorance Armstrong shown that Taco Charlton hasn't?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Outside WR - Could get significant playing time allowing Cooper to play more snaps in the slot.
RB - The right backup RB could get a decent amount of playing time (A healthy Lance Dunbar type. Some of these types are also punt returners and part-time slot WRs).
OG - Not likely to start as a rookie Multiple other options (C.Williams, Sua-Filo, Looney, Ehinger and even La'el if Williams moved to RT).
LB - Not likely to start as a rookie. The SLB position could be open for competition but the SLB is used less than 30% of the snaps.

You can always tell who really understands the Draft by how much they fixate on rightnow and how a rookie can immediately impact the team.

Pay no attention to it.

cnuball21

Reaction score

Sure, you can make a case for any position on the roster...it just won’t be as strong as a case for improving the weakest links on the team.

To me DT, S and TE are the obvious target areas but seeing as we’re near the bottom of the barrel in sacks, and probably pressures last year, DE is an area of interest.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can always tell who really understands the Draft by how much they fixate on rightnow and how a rookie can immediately impact the team.

Pay no attention to it.

Good post.

There are some Newbs every year that have all the answers...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure, you can make a case for any position on the roster...it just won’t be as strong as a case for improving the weakest links on the team.

To me DT, S and TE are the obvious target areas but seeing as we’re near the bottom of the barrel in sacks, and probably pressures last year, DE is an area of interest.

I disagree.

The most important thing in the draft is to get good players and avoid busts or semi-busts, especially in the top 2 rounds.

In 2009 the Cowboys had pick #51. The remaining available player on their board with a 1st round grade was RB LeSean McCoy.

The Cowboys passed on drafting LeSean McCoy and ended up with:
Jason Williams
Robert Brewster
Stephen McGee
Victor Butler
Brandon Williams
DeAngelo Smith
Michael Hamlin
David Buehler
Stephen Hodge
John Phillips
Mike Mickens
Manuel Johnson

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If the player is rated highest on our board and is a DE then yes. For the most part I believe in BPA that fits a need and while DE is not a great need the quality of the player could be worth taking. For myself I am hoping DT, TE or Safety as primary needs but does not mean I would not take a player at a different position if the team has him rated above others.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I disagree.

The most important thing in the draft is to get good players and avoid busts or semi-busts, especially in the top 2 rounds.

In 2009 the Cowboys had pick #51. The remaining available player on their board with a 1st round grade was RB LeSean McCoy.

The Cowboys passed on drafting LeSean McCoy and ended up with:
Jason Williams
Robert Brewster
Stephen McGee
Victor Butler
Brandon Williams
DeAngelo Smith
Michael Hamlin
David Buehler
Stephen Hodge
John Phillips
Mike Mickens
Manuel Johnson

This is not accurate, we didn't pick until the 3rd round that year and McCoy was long gone.

Yes, we want to avoid busts and draft good players, but it makes zero sense to draft players early that won't see a good amount of snaps in their first few years with the team. It's a poor allocation of resources.

If we've got a QB or RB on our board as the 55th best player, and a S / DT / TE a few slots behind him...are you drafting the RB to be a backup to Zeke? Even if it's an upgrade, which it likely would be, our best chance to win is with Zeke on the field.

cnuball21

Reaction score
If the player is rated highest on our board and is a DE then yes. For the most part I believe in BPA that fits a need and while DE is not a great need the quality of the player could be worth taking. For myself I am hoping DT, TE or Safety as primary needs but does not mean I would not take a player at a different position if the team has him rated above others.

Same - if the players available are all fairly close in grade I'm going to lean need and I think the FO is as well.

Now if we're looking at someone inside our top 50 that is a DE, and our top DT / TE / S are all around 60 or below then I'm strongly considering taking that pass rusher and likely pulling the trigger.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Same - if the players available are all fairly close in grade I'm going to lean need and I think the FO is as well.

Now if we're looking at someone inside our top 50 that is a DE, and our top DT / TE / S are all around 60 or below then I'm strongly considering taking that pass rusher and likely pulling the trigger.

I agree. Two players being equal but one at RB and the other at DT, the DT will contribute waaay more on this roster because the RB will barely see the field.

Also, to completely lock into BPA, you are assuming all of the grades are perfect. However, a margin of reasonable error exists. Someone graded 7.5 by one team could be reasonably expected to grade out between 7.0 and 8.0 at some other team.

So to lock into your own BPA like a 7.5 is strictly a 7.5 and not take the 7.4 at a position of need is expecting more precision from your scouting department than you'll ever get.

There's also been some tie-ins to salary cap concerns brought up by xwalker. I disagree with him. Sure, a TE typically costs less than a DE on the open market. Sure, it would be an added bonus cap-wise if I managed to get a good TE for cheap and a good DE at 58.

My disagreement is that I don't think you craft a strategy around those ideas. At the end of the day, a good TE helps your team. If you can get a good, young TE in the draft, then do it.

Maybe the salary cap becomes the tie breaker in a decision process, so a DE is chosen at 58 over an equally ranked TE. But if you're loaded at DE or have an appreciably higher ranked TE on the board, don't go DE just because of a cap issue that's 4 years away.

exciter

Reaction score
I’m on record talking about how exciting the DT class is this year, but the DE class might be just as good.

I think an honest argument could be made either way way depending on your trust in Gregory / Taco moving forward...but would you pull the trigger if a solid pass rusher fell?
Assuming Lawrence is resigned, then there is Gregory, want to see what he does after his 1st off season in a pro weight training program with his speed, Armstrong expecting his play time to increase significantly, Charlton, and Crawford swinging. He would have to be clear cut BPA

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m on record talking about how exciting the DT class is this year, but the DE class might be just as good.

I think an honest argument could be made either way way depending on your trust in Gregory / Taco moving forward...but would you pull the trigger if a solid pass rusher fell?
You can never have enough DE's. Consider this, I dont know what the snaps were last year, but in Lawrence's break out 2017 season, he played exactly 700 snaps. A little more than 60%. Thats alot of snaps going around to non starters.

I like Taco as a player, and I think skill wise he is an excellent fit as a 3rd DE with Lawrence and Gregory. Subbing him into the game allows you to align those players in there most effective gaps. However, its become clear to us that the Cowboys at least have serious questions about Taco. It really wouldnt shock me if he is traded

cnuball21

Reaction score
Assuming Lawrence is resigned, then there is Gregory, want to see what he does after his 1st off season in a pro weight training program with his speed, Armstrong expecting his play time to increase significantly, Charlton, and Crawford swinging. He would have to be clear cut BPA

Hey if the team feels really good about where Gregory’s heads at and they like Armstrong it probably doesn’t make sense.

If the opposite applies for both the pick makes more sense.

exciter

Reaction score
Hey if the team feels really good about where Gregory’s heads at and they like Armstrong it probably doesn’t make sense.

If the opposite applies for both the pick makes more sense.
Oh, I'm never opposed to taking a DE, as of now they just seem to have many more pressing issues!

cnuball21

Reaction score
Looking back at the # of pass rushers taken prior to pick 59:

2018 - 4
2017 - 7

So if we split the different and round up, we can assume 6 pass rushers will be drafted prior to our pick.

Bosa
Allen
Ferrell
Sweat
Burns
Polite
Ferguson
Ximines / Jackson / Omenihu

So if this is somewhat accurate - we'd have a shot at Ferguson or the best of the rest, which is still a solid group. Also - always that chance you get that draft slider and someone like Burns / Polite is sitting there for us.