Would you take a DE in the 2nd?

75boyz

Reaction score
Our top DEs:

A guy without a contract and he has some injury history
A guy that finally had a year that wasn't packed with suspensions
A first round pick that just isn't taking the step that he was projected to require
A fourth round pick entering his second year

All things being equal, adding a DE might not have the immediate impact that adding a DT would. However, the long term reliability of our top 4 DEs leaves a lot to be desired.

If DE is BPA, do it.

I guess I just dont share the long term future confidence in Smittys health from the last 2 to 3 years that you guys seem to accept. To me, he's becoming somewhat of a pseudo Sean Lee.
For this reason, I'm kinda anxious to have an extreme upgrade over Fleming at pick 58.
Maybe we can hit the lotto at pick 58 with Smittys heir apparent but that would probably require a Scarnecchia (sp?) type performance out of Columbo as an o'-line coach to achieve that type of efficiency. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

Dominant Oline with NFL caliber depth. Keep the cupboard stocked on the Oline because everything else becomes irrelevant with this team, if you dont.

Just another different opinion is all.

Oh, but yes I'd take a DE if he rated out as BPA at 58, BUT would prefer an OT who hopefully graded out as close to equal so if chosen over the DE, it would be splitting hairs so to speak.

Last edited:

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
How teams should build.

1. Get a qb.
2. Stop teams getting to your QB
3. Get to opposition QB.

If you can influence those things I think you typically can build a solidc
roster....

Mr_437

Reaction score
Always needed a DE, I wasn't sure about Armstrong or Charlton doing much of anything moving forward. Now, this position need has moved up close to the front of the line.

Stephen has to do a bit more in FA on the DL.

conner01

Reaction score
In general the probability of the higher value positions being the true BPA at #58 is lower.

For example the options relative to the Cowboys draft board that might be available at #58:
10th rated DE
5th rated TE

An easier example is OG vs OT. If teams always went strictly BPA without regard for position value, they would almost always end up picking an OG over OT at #58.
That’s exactly right
But now the need is gotten much larger
I never wanted to take a DE there for the very reason you mentioned but with our knuckleheads we may have to

conner01

Reaction score
Always needed a DE, I wasn't sure about Armstrong or Charlton doing much of anything moving forward. Now, this position need has moved up close to the front of the line.

Stephen has to do a bit more in FA on the DL.
DE is not what you want to be buying in FA
Best Hope would be a guy coming off an injury playing on a one year prove it deal but can’t think of anyone like that

Mr_437

Reaction score
DE is not what you want to be buying in FA
Best Hope would be a guy coming off an injury playing on a one year prove it deal but can’t think of anyone like that
I agree. Rather get a legit 1tech or 3tech in FA. DAL still needs a DE in FA to cover bases.

Drafting a DE 3 years straight... it's time to hit on a pass rusher.

conner01

Reaction score
I agree. Rather get a legit 1tech or 3tech in FA. DAL still needs a DE in FA to cover bases.

A one tech generally is not too expensive
A DE with Gregory numbers cost a ton

cnuball21

Reaction score

I’d love to look at a short term FA like Graham while we develop someone just don’t know if we’ll have the funds.

I’m actually a fan of Armstrong and liked him as a prospect, but with how little Taco has shown us DE should be a strong consideration early.

Especially considering how special this class is.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Clark is a nice younger DE
I expect him to get 15-16 mil a year with 40 mil or so guaranteed
It’s crazy what these guys cost who can rush a QB
That's crazy but he's a good player. Hard to see DAL getting a good DE with these inflated price tags.

DFWJC

Reaction score
BPA is a tier thing.
Its not absolute

No personnel guy in NFL history can accurately separate player 55 and 56 ...unless maybe there is a clear tier break.

You pick the player in the highest remaining tier on your board that also fills a need.

Surprised some, after all these years, dont get this yet.
Or you trade out of the spot

conner01

Reaction score
Xwalker had a nice post about the best players at different positions later in the draft
Like to top pass rushers go early and others fall
At 58 you gonna get maybe 10-12 best pass rusher. Maybe 5th best TE
DE that you need now is very tough to get late in 2nd rnd
You sometimes strike gold but more times than not you strike crap

cnuball21

Reaction score
Xwalker had a nice post about the best players at different positions later in the draft
Like to top pass rushers go early and others fall
At 58 you gonna get maybe 10-12 best pass rusher. Maybe 5th best TE
DE that you need now is very tough to get late in 2nd rnd
You sometimes strike gold but more times than not you strike crap

But you have to look big picture.

There’s arguably 6 1st round edge rushers in this class, and what, 1/2 legit 1st round TE talents?