Would you use a 7th on Cole Tracy FG, LSU?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Would you use a 7th rd pick on a FG kicker to compete with Brett Maher. Looking at LSU kicker Cole Tracy rated as the nations top FG is he worth a 7th in your view. I have no strong views on this but I do think Cowboys need to bring in guys who can compete for the position.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I have no problem if the Cowboys had a couple of seventh round picks using one on a kicker they value......the only problem I had before is Jerry said before the 2007 draft that he couldn't see a reason to draft a kicker, then two days later selected Nick Folk in the sixth round instead of Mason Crosby, who was the number one kicker coming out

conner01

Reaction score
Don’t know enough about him to judge but I know for a fact we will bring in a kicker
The question is who
If he actually has the attributes to be an nfl kicker I would certainly use a 7th on him

PUSHfold

Reaction score
We could pull a Bucs and spend a 2nd on one..but I'd be plenty happy to use an extremely late round pick to get an upgrade at kicker.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Saw his video. Has a weak leg. Struggles to make 50 yarders. Fell short on anything over 52 yards during games. Line drives and keeps low many long distance FGs. Signs of a weak leg. I would pass. In the NFL, one needs a kicker with a strong leg and who is accurate with 50 yarders.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm fine with using a late round pick on a kicker. Maher wasn't bad last year but I still feel we could improve. If we can improve kicker with a 7th round pick than do it. Better than taking a TE or something who won't make the team.

I'm not even suggesting Maher should be replaced but should have to earn the job through camp and pre season.

conner01

Reaction score
Saw his video. Has a weak leg. Struggles to make 50 yarders. Fell short on anything over 52 yards during games. Line drives and keeps low many long distance FGs. Signs of a weak leg. I would pass. In the NFL, one needs a kicker with a strong leg and who is accurate with 50 yarders.

I don’t know much about him but he doesn’t kick off which may be because of what you pointed out

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Need to have competition at K and P.
Not sure if they need to draft one or not, as with only 6 draft picks they need to fill other positions first.
Bring in FA's to compete

conner01

Reaction score
We bring an extra K and P every year
The question is the quality
I wouldn’t mind bringing in a vet to compete

Rayman70

Reaction score
no. Not with the needs we have to fill. FG kicker is not that big an issue. We need to take a late flyer on a DE and RB.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Would you use a 7th rd pick on a FG kicker to compete with Brett Maher. Looking at LSU kicker Cole Tracy rated as the nations top FG is he worth a 7th in your view. I have no strong views on this but I do think Cowboys need to bring in guys who can compete for the position.

I'm OK with using a late pick on a kicker if there is one worth taking. I'd rather Dallas go after AAF kicker Nick Rose, though.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I have no problem if the Cowboys had a couple of seventh round picks using one on a kicker they value......the only problem I had before is Jerry said before the 2007 draft that he couldn't see a reason to draft a kicker, then two days later selected Nick Folk in the sixth round instead of Mason Crosby, who was the number one kicker coming out

If Crosby was the #1 kicker coming out, why is it that he was the third kicker drafted that year?

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Do you want a chance at the next Rayfield Wright, Leon Lett, Brock Marion, Mike Hegman, Patrick Crayton, Jay Ratliff, or the next Nick Folk or David Beuhler? I would take a chance on an American Football player vs. a soccer (football) player that kicks in American Football.

The best kickers in Cowboys history have been FA kickers; Septien, Murray, Boniol, Bailey and the guy from Happy Days :). Do not draft kickers they are not really football players.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Not s problem at all if we took one in the 6th or 7th. Anything higher is a joke. I still can’t believe the bucs did that crap lol

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
If Crosby was the #1 kicker coming out, why is it that he was the third kicker drafted that year?
Plenty of stupid GM's out there, including in Dallas who selected Nick Folk based off a couple of kicks at the combine but Mason Crosby was the number one kicker in that draft year who had the record long fieldgoal at sea level...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Is FG a position now? I always thought these guys were referred to as K (Kicker) and P (Punter) respectively?

Considering kickoffs are almost obsolete FG kicker seems to be the right term. You get guys who are accurate in making FG more than the deep kicker who can get it out of the endzone

glimmerman

Reaction score
Let’s bring some in. But I bet Maher is kicking every day. He should come in better than last year.