Would you use a 7th on Cole Tracy FG, LSU?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Do you want a chance at the next Rayfield Wright, Leon Lett, Brock Marion, Mike Hegman, Patrick Crayton, Jay Ratliff, or the next Nick Folk or David Beuhler? I would take a chance on an American Football player vs. a soccer (football) player that kicks in American Football.

The best kickers in Cowboys history have been FA kickers; Septien, Murray, Boniol, Bailey and the guy from Happy Days :). Do not draft kickers they are not really football players.

I'm not opposed to drafting a Kicker when you consider how many games come down to a FG to win it. I would never use a top pick on a kicker but I would use a late pick on a top ranked kicker.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Usually around the 6th is when teams start running out of draftable grades on their boards. If they want to take a kicker to send into camp with a UDFA level pick, I'm fine with it.

Titleist

Reaction score
I'm a big LSU fan (class of '71) and have watched Cole very closely since he started playing for us last year. Here's my basic take:

-Strengths: very accurate from short and mid range. Mentally tough and relishes big pressure situations - he made some really clutch kicks, including a walk-off game winner against Auburn.

-Weaknesses: doesn't have a big leg - came up short on a couple 50+ kicks. In fact, I think all or almost all his misses were short but on line. Low trajectory on most of his kicks - I don't recall any of his kicks being blocked but that could be an issue. Doesn't do kick-offs (or at least didn't for LSU).

Not sure if I'd use a 7th on him, but if he's available as a UDFA, I'd give him a look

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Plenty of stupid GM's out there, including in Dallas who selected Nick Folk based off a couple of kicks at the combine but Mason Crosby was the number one kicker in that draft year who had the record long fieldgoal at sea level...

Right. GMs who actually have scouts didn't rate Crosby #1 but the Mel Kipers of the world did, so he's #1 to you.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Would you use a 7th rd pick on a FG kicker to compete with Brett Maher. Looking at LSU kicker Cole Tracy rated as the nations top FG is he worth a 7th in your view. I have no strong views on this but I do think Cowboys need to bring in guys who can compete for the position.
If he is rated as best kicker in class, it's safe to assume he wont be available in the 7th.

I mean that's kinda obvious right?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
No. Wasting a pick on a kicker is crazy, only a couple get drafted every season and even those don't always make it. Not many teams are equipped when it comes to scouting kickers. I am all for bringing in several UDFAs to compete with Maher though.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If he is rated as best kicker in class, it's safe to assume he wont be available in the 7th.

I mean that's kinda obvious right?
Not necessarily. These listings put out by draft guides, writers and pundits are notoriously inaccurate.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I'm not opposed to drafting a Kicker when you consider how many games come down to a FG to win it. I would never use a top pick on a kicker but I would use a late pick on a top ranked kicker.
In a 7 round draft, the 7th round is to high for a kicker.

I am from New Orleans and remember the Saints drafting Russell Erxleben in the 1st round. Even though a Cowboys fan, I want no part of drafting a Kicker.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
The kid from OU can punt and kick but they say he will have to pick one or the other I don’t understand that seems like a good way to have an extra roster spot

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
Let’s bring some in. But I bet Maher is kicking every day. He should come in better than last year.
Maher is what he is...he's been kicking everyday for years in Canada .He's not all of the sudden going to find the accuracy.

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
I would be fine with drafting Tracy...The kid has distance and accuracy, not to mention kicking under the brightest lights on game days.

Drafting Tracy would be like getting a starter in the 7th...over the recent drafts our 6th and 7th round picks were players that the Cowboys didn't want to try tp out bit for in RFA.
Tracy will most likely be gone before the 7th anyway.