WR group coming together?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by DasSchnitzel, Mar 15, 2019.

1. DasSchnitzel

DasSchnitzel Well-Known Member

849 Messages
    1,397 Likes Received
    With Austin re-signing, I dont expect any more WR moves other than a Cooper extension and a possible draft pick. Looks like this is the group: Austin, Brown, Cooper, Gallup, Hurns, Wilson.

Cooper and Gallup make a nice 1-2 punch. I'm feeling good about the top two.

Brown offers things in the passing game but he always felt under utilized by Linehan so I dont really know what we have in him but he seems like good depth at least.

Hurns and Austin dont excite me much but they can come out of the slot. Under KM, I expect to see Cooper doing this more. I like Austin in PR, our best since Dwayne Harris.

That leaves Wilson. There was a hype thread about him recently which led me to dig up old articles on him and I'm excited for what he could bring. Other than that he missed his rookie year and so it's not fair to set high expectations.

Overall I feel good about the group. There's a chance a draft pick comes in but I'm also ok with spending the picks elsewhere and leaving room for Dak, Cooper, Gallup, and Wilson to develop together.

What are your opinions?

jobberone, pancakeman, Kaiser and 4 others like this.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Riding the Red Rocket Staff Member

55,078 Messages
    53,270 Likes Received
    I’d add a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round, depending who’s available. We need another red zone threat and an upgrade to Hurns in the slot. The team seems to love him, but I’m not seeing it.

TheSkaven and Roadtrip635 like this.
  3. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

13,550 Messages
    8,366 Likes Received
    Pick up another wr in the late rounds is what I would do. Like 5th or 6th round

4. JBell

JBell That's still my Quarterback

4,838 Messages
    4,343 Likes Received
    I was shocked to say the least to hear that they picked up Hurns' option coming off a disappointing year and injury. But KD Drummond explained why it's actually not a bad move:

1. "Activating Hurns’ option doesn’t guarantee any of his 2019 salary, and he already counted against the cap in every projection.​
    2. He will still need to be on the roster the first game of the season to guarantee his $4 million base salary. His $1 million in per-game roster bonuses will depend on how many times he suits up.​
    3. If the team gets to training camp and sees they have a better solution at their disposal they can take it. Whether they decline the option in March, or cut him in July, the $1.25 million dead money from his signing bonus will be on the books regardless. So why not find out if he can still help the club?"

Sounds like he's an insurance policy, with an easy exit in case value at WR does fall into their lap on draft day.

5. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

9,935 Messages
    7,343 Likes Received
    Wilson is the wild card we don’t know about, but even if he works out he’s still like lumpy to go throw growing pains since he will essentially be playing his rookie season. I would be fine with one solid veteran - doesn’t have to be a star, just a dependable guy we could count on for 500-700 yards.

6. exciter

exciter Well-Known Member

780 Messages
    581 Likes Received
    The Isabella kid is looking like gold in the 3rd!

J12B and lonestar2288 like this.
  7. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

5,111 Messages
    1,222 Likes Received
    Fantastic post.

Centex, JBell, 75boyz and 1 other person like this.
  8. D_Boyz

D_Boyz Well-Known Member

437 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    Remember Cedric Wilson is coming back and he was having a better camp than Gallup at one point.

Rockdoc, Irvin88_4life and Kaiser like this.
  9. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

11,901 Messages
    5,234 Likes Received
    Yea, I agree. To be honest, Cooper and Gallup would probably benefit by getting more snaps in the slot, but we need a red zone target.

Idgit likes this.
  10. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

11,901 Messages
    5,234 Likes Received
    Was he? He was IR’d on July 31. Camp started on July 26

11. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

6,706 Messages
    5,710 Likes Received
    My understanding is the though we picked up Hurns' option, nothing is guaranteed.

Maybe they're sold on him. Maybe they're just not throwing away his rights. If they hate him this summer, they can cut him, no harm, no foul.

With us bringing back a number of guys on offense who produced little, I'm wondering if the team thinks they produced little because Linehan didn't use them much.

Hurns is a funny one, as his per target numbers completely flipped positively after week 6.

817Gill and Idgit like this.
  12. darthseinfeld

darthseinfeld Today's Winner Of The Internet

13,751 Messages
    12,267 Likes Received
    I think he goes higher than that.

Would be sweet though

13. exciter

exciter Well-Known Member

780 Messages
    581 Likes Received
    I ain't adverse to dropping a pick next year to move up some!

14. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

9,935 Messages
    7,343 Likes Received
    Thanks for looking that up. I’ve read comments numerous times about how great he was looking in camp, and I never remembered that. Maybe people were thinking of reports from OTAs. Hopefully he has the potential some think, but to me he’s a big unknown at this point.

408Cowboy likes this.
  15. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

49,805 Messages
    46,449 Likes Received
    Overall, I'm pretty happy with that group. Rather than having one 'designated hitter' working out of the slot in Beasley, it looks like they're going to go with a more flexible 'slot-by-committee' approach. And I'm good with that actually because with flexibility comes the ability to do different things there. Beasley was great in that role, but he was limited as well.

What I would like to see is this team acquire Duke Johnson (rather than watching the Eagles do it and facing him twice a year). Not only would he be a capable backup for Zeke, but he offers a lot in the passing game as well, particularly in the slot. That's gives the team even more options and versatility.

16. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

21,684 Messages
    13,043 Likes Received
    Yeah his 40 time probably solidified him going higher than that.

darthseinfeld likes this.
  17. charron

charron Well-Known Member

2,741 Messages
    2,918 Likes Received
    Same group as last year minus Beasley.

Hurns did nothing when healthy and coming off a broken leg.
    Austin- will miss 6 games with an injury.

Brown- used mostly as a blocker, moved all over the formation but rarely got a target.

Wilson- injured all year.

Besides our 2 starters we lack real talent here. Hope Moore is the answer as the OC but only time will tell in games.

Mr_437 likes this.
  18. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

11,929 Messages
    8,958 Likes Received
    Agree
    The draft is the way to address WR now but if Gallup can take another step we can be pretty solid at WR. If Wilson can contribute, and they can find a way for Austin to contribute we can be pretty good, then you add another guy in the draft and we’ve come full circle at WR
    Just imagine early last year it was a major weakness that could, with a little luck and a trade, turn into a strength

Idgit likes this.
  19. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

13,308 Messages
    4,288 Likes Received
    Right now, today, our receiver group and TE group are much superior to what we actually went into last season with, even if we don’t make a single move. I’m sure we will still be open to receiver and TE if a great fit is sitting there at any point in the draft. But Witten and the young guys with a year of experience, Cooper with Gallup and Wilson in 2nd year, and Austin with a year in the system, we are already a better offense than last year....not to mention Williams and Fleming on the OL in second year with Dallas...Williams with a year of training.

I’m excited about the offense and the draft, which is likely to emphasize DL and secondary.

Mr_437 and 817Gill like this.
  20. SoupcanSam

SoupcanSam Well-Known Member

3,737 Messages
    5,106 Likes Received
    Once again like last season I will lobby for Austin to make a big impact on offense. I believe the young Kellen Moore will put him to good use.

Austin didnt get as many chances and I blame linehan.

I'm back at it. I believe in austin.

Fastpitch Dad, 408Cowboy and 817Gill like this.