WR group coming together?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by DasSchnitzel, Mar 15, 2019.

1. BigCatMonaco

BigCatMonaco Well-Known Member

660 Messages
    894 Likes Received

Please point out where I labeled him the next AB, I can wait. The fact remains that vs division 1 college competition he produced comparably to the top guys and graded out better than most actually. Pair that with the fact he didn’t drop his key targets and damn near led the nation in deep yards, pardon me for believing he has potential.

2. BigCatMonaco

BigCatMonaco Well-Known Member

660 Messages
    894 Likes Received
    He was a sixth round pick because he’s 6’2-6’3 and 190 pounds coming out and went to Boise.

3. charron

charron Well-Known Member

2,741 Messages
    2,918 Likes Received

and there were much better options throught most of the draft untill our late 6th round pick.

4. jobberone

jobberone Kane Ala Staff Member

54,121 Messages
    19,539 Likes Received
    Our R2 is our R1 or first pick.

Idgit likes this.
  5. jobberone

54,121 Messages
    19,539 Likes Received
    Brown compares roughly to Dez biometric wise.

jjktkk and Kaiser like this.
  6. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

13,362 Messages
    7,551 Likes Received
    not wasting a second or third round pick on a wide receiver that isn't going to help this team this year...DT, LB or cb

7. Irvin88_4life

Irvin88_4life Well-Known Member

14,847 Messages
    16,189 Likes Received
    I didn't say you made up tar he was hurt the first padded practice. Perhaps i didn't make it clear, my fault. I was talking about Wilson not looking better than Gallup at first. Wilson was looking better but we don't know if he could have carried that over through the season. Maybe Gallup started off slow.

Doesn't matter either way. The top 2 spots are locked with Cooper and Gallup. Every receiver we have or will sign or draft will have a chance to win tar 3rd spot. Personally i think it will be Wilson but it's a competition I'm looking forward to in camp.

Rockdoc and dallasdave like this.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Riding the Red Rocket Staff Member

55,080 Messages
    53,273 Likes Received
    Have we fixed the red zone problem by bringing Witten back? Because I don’t think so.

jobberone likes this.
  9. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

11,901 Messages
    5,235 Likes Received
    I never said that Wilson did or didn't look better, I'm just pointing out how little it means to look better through 2 days of practice.

10. DasSchnitzel

DasSchnitzel Well-Known Member

853 Messages
    1,402 Likes Received
    After thinking it over, if we take a WR in R2 or R3 then he better be damn good.

Consider this. We just spent our 2019 1st on Cooper. Are we really about to spend our 2019 2nd on the same position when Heath is our starting safety, our best DE wont go get his surgery, and our 2nd best DE is either Crawford or Taco?

To me, double dipping like that would be a poor distribution of resources. We aren't bad enough at WR to justify it. I think Cooper and Gallup will have a lot of people saying we're pretty good at WR by this time next year.

817Gill and jobberone like this.
  11. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

17,188 Messages
    10,622 Likes Received
    I honestly think we are all set at WR. Very very happy with the group. What this team REALLY needs is a great young TE that can block and create mismatches in the middle of the field and the redzone. A big, dependable target for Dak.

12. Irvin88_4life

Irvin88_4life Well-Known Member

14,847 Messages
    16,189 Likes Received
    I can agree somewhat with that

13. Cowboysheelsreds053

Cowboysheelsreds053 Well-Known Member

4,371 Messages
    2,842 Likes Received
    Agree with everything said, as much as I want D, I would not be upset in the least if taken at 58.

14. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

21,686 Messages
    13,045 Likes Received
    Not at all. Its suppose to be a heavy defensive line draft....I'd love to snag those guys but with as late as we pick....I'm more interested in getting playmakers. Going to be interesting to see if they will try trade up. I imagine or the right guy they will.

Cowboysheelsreds053 likes this.
  15. Zekeats

Zekeats theranchsucks

6,063 Messages
    6,029 Likes Received
    You didn't mention the guy whos gonna surprise the most, Devin Smith.

16. jobberone

54,121 Messages
    19,539 Likes Received
    Agreed. DL esp edge rusher

17. armadillooutlaw

armadillooutlaw Well-Known Member

1,472 Messages
    2,070 Likes Received
    Beyond Lawrence the cup is pretty bare (not counting Randy "Chong" Gregory IMO.
    DT could also use a high draft pick, too.
    I would love a thick 3T that can get after the QB and be just as stout against the run.

Rockdoc and jobberone like this.
  18. DasSchnitzel

DasSchnitzel Well-Known Member

853 Messages
    1,402 Likes Received
    Bumping this with the Cobb acquisition.

So at this moment, as a starting point, this is a likely WR group:
    Cooper
    Gallup
    Cobb
    Hurns
    Wilson
    Austin

My thoughts on Cobb:

He's going to be good here, on gameday and for the younger WRs. Its hard to imagine Cobb as just the WR3. Behind Zeke he's at most our 4th option. That's pretty sick. I predict several low target games and the occasional stat explosion when some defense decides they can't cover everybody and then forgets him.

I can't imagine they commit 11M in cap hits combined to the WR3 and WR4. There have been comparisons to Beasley in other threads, but in my mind, Beasley is already gone so the Hurns comparison matters more.

Hurns' line last year was 20/295/2. On only 9 games, Cobb's line was 38/383/2. Hurns is an expensive luxury now and I can't see this front office paying 6M for him. I think they'd just assume roll the cap over at that point.

That just leaves the draft and with Cobb serving as a bridge player a draft pick makes some sense. My preference is to leave Wilson and Brown the room to develop and invest elsewhere, Cobb or another guy can be signed next offseason if need be.

So that leaves me hoping for:

Cooper
    Gallup
    Cobb
    Austin
    Wilson
    Brown

No WR draft picks, +4M in cap savings from Hurns, and Cobb is a -1M net cap hit from before he signed.

817Gill and stasheroo like this.
  19. bb721

bb721 Well-Known Member

636 Messages
    788 Likes Received
    Yet there were still 25 wide receivers chosen in the 2018 draft before Wilson. That says a lot about what teams felt about those particular “grades”

20. DakPresgoat

DakPresgoat Well-Known Member

7,163 Messages
    14,149 Likes Received
    I think having Frederick back will help the redzone immensely.

He paved the way for Zeke down there.

Whyjerry and Idgit like this.