WR - how do you rank this year's group?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Then perhaps we shouldn't have changed anything then. Bring back Dez, bring back Witten, bring back Switzer, bring back Butler. They only had a down year because of game planning and bad coaching. Say what you want but Williams still caught more passes and produced more yardage then Beasley or does your excuses not work for the other players, just Beasley

I wish we had kept Butler. Arizona is getting a good WR for cheap.

As for comparing Beasley and Williams, defenses did that for us: Beasley got doubled, Williams didn't. Production can't be compared without factoring in defensive coverages. Williams was generally the 4th or 5th threat on the field, and was covered accordingly.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I wish we had kept Butler. Arizona is getting a good WR for cheap.

As for comparing Beasley and Williams, defenses did that for us: Beasley got doubled, Williams didn't. Production can't be compared without factoring in defensive coverages. Williams was generally the 4th or 5th threat on the field, and was covered accordingly.
B.S. Stop with the Beasley was doubled crap. Butler is a JAG and so is Beasley. The issue is some of you folks like Beasley and therefore make excuses. Dez out preformed both of them but some folks don't like him. The list goes on, too many of y'all get emotional about a player and let things slide but let it be a guy y'all don't like and they are the worst players ever.

Beasley has to be the most over rated player on the team

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The list goes on, too many of y'all get emotional about a player and let things slide but let it be a guy y'all don't like and they are the worst players ever.

Beasley has to be the most over rated player on the team

So much projection.

Fact is, if anyone was over rating Beasley, it was the defenses we faced.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So I was thinking back historically and frankly the last time heading into a season I was this down on our WR group had to be 2009. Before Miles Austin emerged in the KC Chiefs game, we had Roy Williams and Patrick Crayton.

I hope Michael Gallup can be the equivalent of a Miles Austin and break through, but as of now I'm not loving it. I also still don't know why Switzer had to be traded, he was developing nicely.

Hurns, Beasley, Williams, being our key 3 targets with Gallup developing and Tavon Austin as a wildcard isn't terrible, but it isn't great. I believe 2009 is a fair comparison - and given our 11-5 record that season, this could be a good omen.

What I like about this post is you express your concerns about the WRs, but you also acknowledge that there are unknowns, and your doubts don't necessarily mean things will be bad, It's nice to see a poster taking a fair minded approach.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
It's a pretty average group overall. There is no WR that brings an exceptional skillset that opposing DCs will feel have to get dbl teamed. Gallup may develop into that type WR, but as a rookie, there is a learning curve. It doesn't mean this group can't be productive, it's gonna take work and everybody doing their jobs at all levels for it to succeed. Coaches have to have good play design and play calling, the WRs need to execute precisely, OL will need to give the QB time and the QB needs to make the right reads and be accurate. That seems like a no brainer, but it's much more critical without that exceptional talent.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Yes Beasley with his 34 catches is so important for this team, how would we ever replace that production. Never had more then 75 catches, never had a 1,000 yards receiving, never had double digit TDs in a season. Yep he is just a superstar
:rolleyes:. Man! That #11 has been
' clutch' on any given offensive drive he's helped extend & same goes with #83,,,I just don't "get" the ' good riddance' VIBES I've been picking up on from my very fellows within the Castle walls this off-season:huh:

* I don't think it's a kick-on ,or,boomerang effect cuz' #88 got X'd,,,er,,,at least I'd like to NOT THINK that's the underlying reasono_O

Verdict

Reaction score
Yes Beasley with his 34 catches is so important for this team, how would we ever replace that production. Never had more then 75 catches, never had a 1,000 yards receiving, never had double digit TDs in a season. Yep he is just a superstar

That's what you get when your number one receiver, Dez Bryant, is really a number four receiver or worse.

Centex

Reaction score
Dak was at his best when he was able to spread it around. I think without an X receiver he may actually spread it more effectively and be better. The defense will have no idea where he is going.

Last edited:

Verdict

Reaction score
Our WR group is one of the worst groups on paper in the entire league.

Does it matter?

Not if the scheme and QB play is good.

Agreed. Our group looks as good as the Patriots on paper. And the Patriots traded away their number one.

Verdict

Reaction score
Dez was at his best when he was able to spread it around. I think without an X receiver he may actually spread it more effectively and be better. The defense will have no idea where he is going.

I think you meant Dak.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
So I was thinking back historically and frankly the last time heading into a season I was this down on our WR group had to be 2009. Before Miles Austin emerged in the KC Chiefs game, we had Roy Williams and Patrick Crayton.

I hope Michael Gallup can be the equivalent of a Miles Austin and break through, but as of now I'm not loving it. I also still don't know why Switzer had to be traded, he was developing nicely.

Hurns, Beasley, Williams, being our key 3 targets with Gallup developing and Tavon Austin as a wildcard isn't terrible, but it isn't great. I believe 2009 is a fair comparison - and given our 11-5 record that season, this could be a good omen.
It's not often that rookie WR's have a big impact and even less likely when they are a 3rd round pick. I'm hopeful yet skeptical

Aven8

Reaction score
I'm stoked myself. I don't know if they will be any good, but I'm excited to find out and see something fresh and new. I'm looking forward to the first PS game for sure.

jay94

Reaction score
Agreed. Our group looks as good as the Patriots on paper. And the Patriots traded away their number one.

Edelman alone is 3x the receiver any one of our guys are, not giving this team the last wr core out of the league is just purely homerism.

Hardline

Reaction score
You will know how good they are when Zeke faces eight man fronts the majority of the game.

jay94

Reaction score
The only thing if their favor is they should all see single coverage with how good our oline should be.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
It's sure possible. Salary guarantee or not.

If you told me twill would outlast Dez and witten a couple years back I would have laughed at you!

He will be the next to go and his financial situation regarding the cap means nothing much to the FO. They have shown they are willing to "bite a not so big bullet" at times in order to move on.

That's what some fans who cry twill's salary hit fail to see. Just look at the recent patterns, what makes twill the exception?

He is not.