1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys News!
    #dallascowboys · Cowboys Fan Zone

WR Michael Gallup deserves appreciation, respect and should be kept

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by America's Cowboy, Oct 19, 2021.

1. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

13,474 Messages
    7,645 Likes Received
    Hope Gallup can help them make a deep playoff run because otherwise, this is his swan song! He will be paid elsewhere and he knows it. And honestly, we might even see Cedric Wilson get paid somewhere else too so wouldn't surprise me to see the new #3 WR be drafted in the 2nd/3rd round of 2022

2. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

52,268 Messages
    78,976 Likes Received
    Is it disrespect or is it understanding the reality of a team butting up against the cap where it’s unlikely they can pay Cooper and then another big contract to a WR?

Robbieac likes this.
  3. Cowpolk

Cowpolk Landry Hat

15,739 Messages
    24,084 Likes Received
    Jerry has 3 or more piggybanks with large contracts He knows what he is doing Did it with Romo. The money is there. If he needs it.

Pantone282C likes this.
  4. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    23,700 Messages
    21,808 Likes Received
    Nice user name lol

This is Our Year likes this.
  5. Praxit

Praxit Well-Known Member

7,574 Messages
    7,756 Likes Received
    ...@ 5-1 Cedric, Lamb & Coop have shown, they run right chemistry. Im glad Gallup is coming back, just adds more to the pie.

Depending how he plays out. I still think he'll will want nice contract. Cedric will be much cheaper to keep.

Kolemmitt likes this.
  6. plasticman

plasticman Well-Known Member

6,416 Messages
    10,602 Likes Received
    I would keep Gallup over Schultz. Gallup is a real talent. Schultz is the recipient of a dynamic offense and excellent coaching. There is a reason that Gallup had the most combined receptions for a Cowboy receiver in his first two seasons, although Lamb is sure to exceed it.

However, yes, some team is going to back up a truckload of cash to get him.

7. America's Cowboy

America's Cowboy Well-Known Member

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    22,236 Messages
    32,750 Likes Received
    It's disrespectful by some posters who have recently been stating that Cedrick Wilson is just as good as Michael Gallup, so the Cowboys don't need to keep Gallup for that reason.

I love Cedrick Wilson, but he's no Michael Gallup.

Also, lots of players on this team are overpaid for the production and availability they have shown. This is why this team is in such a huge cap crunch and most likely not going to be able to keep so many productive very good players by the end of this season. I love me some Amari Cooper, but he's not worth $20+ million/year. I would rather keep Michael Gallup at $8-10 million/year and use the remaining $10+ million to keep 2-3 other key players. Plus, do the same with D-Law and his overpaid contract. If Jerry doesn't put his foot down and make some serious cuts to overpaid players' contracts, we're not going to be able to keep a playoff competitive team intact after this season.

Pantone282C likes this.
  8. America's Cowboy

America's Cowboy Well-Known Member

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    22,236 Messages
    32,750 Likes Received
    Who would you rather keep? The much more expensive WR who plays injured every year while disappearing at times, or the WR you can keep for at least half that price and always shows up and produces, thus saving you money to keep 2-3 other key players at the same time?

9. RonnieT24

RonnieT24 Well-Known Member

9,164 Messages
    13,961 Likes Received
    I believe Kansas City had the #2 and #5 highest paid receivers in Hill and Watkins in 2019 and 2020.. Watkins contract ran out in 2020 but it seemed to have worked out for them. Oh and they also had the highest paid TE in that same time..

10. RonnieT24

RonnieT24 Well-Known Member

9,164 Messages
    13,961 Likes Received
    Until he shows he can produce with Cooper out we have to assume that much of Gallup's success is owed to the amount of attention the other guys command. The times we have seen him be asked to shoulder the load either when Coop was out or severely hampered the results have been underwhelming at best. Not saying he is still that guy.. but he's gonna have to show it for a few games before I am willing to have any conversation about parting ways with Cooper in favor of him.

11. GMO415

GMO415 Well-Known Member

13,612 Messages
    21,273 Likes Received
    They haven't won a 6th yet. Respect is earned. They have a way to go.

12. ultron

ultron Well-Known Member

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    4,908 Messages
    8,942 Likes Received
    If it comes down to only being able to keep Randy Gregory or Gallup, this team has nearly zero pass rush without RG94 so that’s a no brainer, especially if we can retain Cedric Wilson for around 2.5mil - here’s an article stating Gallup will get around $12-$13m a year if he hits the market (he makes about 3m now).

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/.amp...-gallup-dallas-cowboys-news-pay-12m-let-wr-go

I believe it’s 67/33% split between what we spend on offense vs what we spend on defense. We have to start balancing that out by letting guys like Gallup walk in order to sign an A or B tier safety or DT.

13. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

14,879 Messages
    16,920 Likes Received
    We might lose both Gallup and Wilson. If KM gets a HC job, I can see him taking Wilson with him by offering him more/same money and more playing time. KM loves him and they have the "Boise State" connection.

14. glimmerman

glimmerman Well-Known Member

26,142 Messages
    26,475 Likes Received
    D-Law I think would cost us too much to cut. He is supposed to get huge checks these next 2 years. Just sucks he is getting injured. He gets pressure and is great against the run. Him and the way Gregory is playing would be the rushers we need..

Kolemmitt likes this.
  15. MyFairLady

MyFairLady Well-Known Member

3,398 Messages
    4,106 Likes Received
    Uhhhhh Gallup is a nice player but our offense is spectacular without him. Will be happy to have him back. Will not be too sad if he ends up leaving.

LACowboysFan1 likes this.
  16. fansince68

fansince68 Well-Known Member

3,389 Messages
    2,428 Likes Received
    And we have Dak, Zeke, Tank, Cooper, and a Right Guard that is max paid. Wilson can do most of what Gallup can do.

17. LACowboysFan1

LACowboysFan1 Well-Known Member

9,216 Messages
    5,896 Likes Received
    If he leaves, that's life in the NFL, teams have to make decisions...

18. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

52,268 Messages
    78,976 Likes Received
    I don't know if Wilson is "as good" but the reality is that in a cap constrained world, Cooper, Lamb and Wilson would be one of the 10 best trios in the league most likely.

Or maybe they keep Gallup and cut Cooper? Would it be disrespectful to suggest we keep Gallup and cut Cooper saying that we could still be very good with Lamb, Gallup and Wilson? Of course not.

PS - If Gallup is as good as you claim and is a potential #1 like you claim, there is no chance you are signing him to a contract that carries only an $8-10MM cap hit.

19. CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninHouston CowboysFaninDC

23,939 Messages
    12,683 Likes Received
    offense will be better with him, so we will see some of that when he returns. the question is does it need to be much better than it already is....I would love to keep him....but he will cost money. I rather focus on defense......

and to your point, totally agree that Gregory and Schultz are higher priorities.

Kolemmitt likes this.
  20. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

16,489 Messages
    13,401 Likes Received
    Dang. Had not thought of that. Good point.

Nate Newton made a good point on one of the DC.com podcasts...Wilson is the perfect example of a WR leaving for big money and a larger role, who unfortunately gets cut 2 years later due to not living up to the expectations. Think Laurent Robinson or Alvin Harper. But he definitely deserves that opportunity to leave for more $$$ if it presents itself.

Kolemmitt and Zman5 like this.