WR Michael Gallup deserves appreciation, respect and should be kept

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Amari Cooper is no longer our #1 WR.

CeeDee Lamb is. CeeDee has made huge improvements and strides this 2nd season in the NFL, and he's not looking back.

Here, take a look...

Screenshot-20211020-133817-Chrome.jpg

@Diehardblues is correct in what he said a few posts just above. ^^^^

Why keep paying ridiculous overpaid #1 money to Amari Cooper when CeeDee is now our new #1 WR?

I say ask Amari Cooper to take a pay cut if he wants to remain a Cowboy. If he accepts, great. He stays. If he refuses, make him a June 1st cut, save $9+ million for next year, and use that savings to resign Michael Gallup who is 2 years younger than Cooper...and healthier but as productive every year.

Jerry and the Cowboys need to start cutting down on those overpaid contracts NOW if they truly want to be able to retain most of the same team for the next few years.

Reading that note about Pollard leading the Cowboys in broken tackles leads me to believe somebody from this board is reviewing the Cowboys games for PFR. I thought I saw Zeke break at least three tackles in this game so I went back and watched.. Here is what I found..

First play of the 2nd quarter.. 1st and 10 at the Pats 30.. Zeke goes off left guard.. is wrapped up by #90 at the 28 but spins out of that tackle and gets ahead for 9.

6:20 left in the 4th 1st and 10 at the Dallas 27.. Zeke starts right but huge cutback lane opens left so he hits it and is not contacted until he hits #32 after 12 yards.. Zeke shoulder dips then spins away from that tackle.. and goes for 9 more yards before finally being taken down by #27.

5:36 let in the 4th.. 2nd and 10 at the Cowboys 48. Zeke up the middle.. gets stonewalled so he bounces outside left.. He gets grabbed around the waist by #28 at the 50. Zeke runs right through that tackle and chugs ahead for another 6 yards.

Now people can go watch these plays for themselves if they disagree but I count three solid broken tackles by Zeke just in this last game..

We also saw him break a tackle on his 47 yarder a couple of weeks ago.. That makes 4 just off the top of my head. So how then is Pollard "leading" with 3?

fansince68

Reaction score
I was merely correcting your statement that "no team has two max WRs." Maybe not this year but KC did for at least two seasons.. and were in the Super Bowl both years.. Getting to the Super Bowl is not about how much guys are paid.. it's about how well they play..
Agreed my friend....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Reading that note about Pollard leading the Cowboys in broken tackles leads me to believe somebody from this board is reviewing the Cowboys games for PFR. I thought I saw Zeke break at least three tackles in this game so I went back and watched.. Here is what I found..

First play of the 2nd quarter.. 1st and 10 at the Pats 30.. Zeke goes off left guard.. is wrapped up by #90 at the 28 but spins out of that tackle and gets ahead for 9.

6:20 left in the 4th 1st and 10 at the Dallas 27.. Zeke starts right but huge cutback lane opens left so he hits it and is not contacted until he hits #32 after 12 yards.. Zeke shoulder dips then spins away from that tackle.. and goes for 9 more yards before finally being taken down by #27.

5:36 let in the 4th.. 2nd and 10 at the Cowboys 48. Zeke up the middle.. gets stonewalled so he bounces outside left.. He gets grabbed around the waist by #28 at the 50. Zeke runs right through that tackle and chugs ahead for another 6 yards.

Now people can go watch these plays for themselves if they disagree but I count three solid broken tackles by Zeke just in this last game..

We also saw him break a tackle on his 47 yarder a couple of weeks ago.. That makes 4 just off the top of my head. So how then is Pollard "leading" with 3?

One noticeable difference I see in Zeke is his quick change of direction as he hits the line, he is taking that 1 hop step in changing direction finding the hole then exploding through it. Before it was like he was trying to find defenders to hit, now he looks like he is tryin to avoid defenders initially then lowering his pads and attacking the tackler at the end of the run.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
One noticeable difference I see in Zeke is his quick change of direction as he hits the line, he is taking that 1 hop step in changing direction finding the hole then exploding through it. Before it was like he was trying to find defenders to hit, now he looks like he is tryin to avoid defenders initially then lowering his pads and attacking the tackler at the end of the run.

The two years prior he even stated that this was what he was doing. Because he was trying to set a tone and punish the defender for later. You can clearly see that this year he has a different mindset when he gets to the second level. He will still truck a fool when there is no out but if there is a chance to make a cut and get 10 more yards he is doing it. He needed to make this style change because of how the offense runs now. We're a good deal less physical in how we run now so we're not grinding fools up like we used to. We're also giving the late game carries when we're ahead to Pollard and letting Zeke rest up on the sideline. That hits the defense with fresh Pollard's quickness and keeps Zeke fresher for the long haul. It's a win win..

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He has to take a huge paycut to stay and he may very well be willing to do that but if he’s not then being Cedric Wilson back and draft a guy. I’d prefer someone with real deep Speed.

Dak loves laying that ball out on the go routes on the sideline when he see’s 1 v 1.
Not a pay cut. He’s still on his rookie contract. But he would have to take a contract well below market value, which I doubt he will. Giving a price break is one thing, but there is a limit to how much a player will give, especially when getting his first big contract.

JReed1000

Reaction score
IMO….being out hurt has exposed his options. Wilson has more than carried the load and truthfully is going to be so much cheaper. Gallup is as good as gone and Dallas offense is still #1. We gotta pay our backup running back soon and he could be a starter elsewhere as well. Wanna start cutting others pay start with Tank Lawrence….

jnday

Reaction score
I would keep Gallup and get rid of Cooper and his injuries that has caused him to miss several games every year. Lamb can be the number one WR. Cooper is a very good WR, but he is not dependable and he doesn’t give 100% in many games. His effort comes and goes. 20 million dollar WRs shouldn’t have that problem. He is great when he is trying his best, but that doesn’t happen nearly as often as It should.

kevm3

Reaction score
I don't know what's up with this undervaluing of Cooper. Cooper is the our no 1 and I'm sure teams gameplan for him over our other receivers and he makes our other receivers jobs much easier. There's only one ball to go around, so if Cooper is drawing all the attention, that leaves Ceedee Lamb alone to do his thing.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Lets see if our WR corp. is healthy by the end of the season. That may settle this concern in itself if the injury bug hits.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
I don't know what's up with this undervaluing of Cooper. Cooper is the our no 1 and I'm sure teams gameplan for him over our other receivers and he makes our other receivers jobs much easier. There's only one ball to go around, so if Cooper is drawing all the attention, that leaves Ceedee Lamb alone to do his thing.
This. Cooper is the best route runner I have seen in a long time. He also opens up opportunities for the others including RB's and TE's. The opposing DC's have to pick their poison at this point and we just went against the best DC/HC in the business and he couldn't stop us.

Cmac

Reaction score
Salaryologist at it again......can't we just welcome him back from injury?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
In ESPN's article yesterday on one player from each team who could be trade bait before the deadline, they even threw out Gallup's name for the Cowboys. Nothing personal, just a business.

Having said that, it's a long season. 11 more games. Unless there is some deal that just hits you on the face, depth everywhere is great.
'

FVSTONE

Reaction score
If someone has to go, let it be Cooper. Not sure how JJ can trade him without feeling the cap hurt, but Gallop is a better option at this time. A little younger and faster than Cooper, who looked pretty dam slow last week. He looked like he was struggling to even get open, which isn't a good thing.......

quickccc

Reaction score
i think most fans do have a lot of respect for Gallup and appreciate his talent as well. Gallup is the kind of player teams look for in a draft in the mid to late rounds and feel they got lucky. But circumstances dictate that the Cowboys have enough playmakers on offense and do not have the money to keep him as well. We have to find a way to keep Wilson. We cannot blame Gallup if he goes somewhere else for his big payday. He does deserve it.

i hate having spend so much time and investment into developing him, and then have to see his contribution depart in FA.
But if he's not a featured No.1 WR, that's just the business bad breaks of the NFL.

The biggest things are already with having the ammunition aboard that lessens the burden of losing a Gallup, while also being able to explore the NFL draft again
for another version of Gallup,.. ..

quickccc

Reaction score
If someone has to go, let it be Cooper. Not sure how JJ can trade him without feeling the cap hurt, but Gallop is a better option at this time. A little younger and faster than Cooper, who looked pretty dam slow last week. He looked like he was struggling to even get open, which isn't a good thing.......

Cooper looks like he is struggling with injuries again.
He's laboring and trying to gut it out though. But doesn't this seem to happen every year ?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Cooper looks like he is struggling with injuries again.
He's laboring and trying to gut it out though. But doesn't this seem to happen every year ?

Perhaps.. but doesn't 80-some catches and 1100 yards also seem to happen every year? I think the bye week will do him a lotta good. Breaking a rib in the first game was probably not the best thing that could happened to him.

quickccc

Reaction score
Perhaps.. but doesn't 80-some catches and 1100 yards also seem to happen every year? I think the bye week will do him a lotta good. Breaking a rib in the first game was probably not the best thing that could happened to him.

even WR Roy Williams had padded stat games per Lions daysz. ... :rolleyes: