WRs Terrance Williams and Cedrick Wilson

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yeah I can definitely appreciate that - I agree on a lot of those points. I think the underlying cause is the belief that they can get similar blocking production with a significantly greater threat in the PA pass. If you think as the alternative as being a jumbo package with 3 TEs, you're going to still have a DB setting the edge and playing near the box regardless. They must think that Noah B's ability to beat that DB in the PA passing game, an area we really need to be productive in to help out our QB, is more valuable than the gap between him and Jarwin / Rico, etc are giving in the blocking game.

Brown against Seattle
4 targets 1 catch 6 yards 1 INT when thrown to

We have some players who are actual threats out wide. None of them are named Noah.

I suppose that's what they must be thinking. They just seem very wrong to me.

Brown is probably 2nd from the bottom of "I wouldn't be worried about him". Only guy I'b be less worried about is Schulz. Jarwin has actually had a big game. And Frico can make a play if you chuck it up to him. We've actually seen it, though in preseason. I can't anything too interesting out of Rico.

One thing I'll say for Noah. I don't see why he can't run a reverse or a jet sweep. He's a thick fellow. He seems physical with the ball in his hands. Let him have it. He could fake a jet sweep for misdirection, or fake one and get a running start as a lead blocker.

I like my fabulous idea to get Noah involved in the run game. Add that dimension, and that makes him more of a problem for the defense.

Zman5

Reaction score
If we are really desperate we can always bring back Butler or even Deonte Thompson. Not great options but at least they know the offense.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If we are really desperate we can always bring back Butler or even Deonte Thompson. Not great options but at least they know the offense.

I don't think so.

Free agency hasn't begun. Their teams would have to cut them for them to be available to be signed.

Are NFL teams that charitable?

CB61

Reaction score
WRs Terrance Williams and Cedrick Wilson have been on Injured Reserve for most, if not all, of the season. Terrance has been dealing with a nagging broken foot injury he suffered in the offseason, and Cedrick Wilson has been dealing with a shoulder injury he suffered right out of training camp/preseason.

Has anyone heard anything about their status and whether their injuries have healed by now? If their injuries are healed, why are they still on Injured Reserve? Or is it that their injuries are still not healed? Why taking this long?

Has anyone heard anything about them? With Allen Hurns done for the playoffs with such a gruesome injury to his lower leg, and Cole Beasley and Amari Cooper having suffered low hits to their lower legs which hobbled them against the Seahawks, wouldn't it be nice to see if either T-Will or C-Wil could contribute?
I may be wrong but I thought they were not eligible to return off IR after week 13? Not really sure about this but I don't think they could come back at this time someone could look that out for me I'm sure they will correct me if I'm wrong LOL

BigD49

Reaction score
Brown against Seattle

We have some players who are actual threats out wide. None of them are named Noah.

Brown is probably 2nd from the bottom of "I wouldn't be worried about him". Only guy I'b be less worried about is Schulz. Jarwin has actually had a big game. And Frico can make a play if you chuck it up to him. We've actually seen it, though in preseason. I can't anything too interesting out of Rico.

One thing I'll say for Noah. I don't see why he can't run a reverse or a jet sweep. He's a thick fellow. He seems physical with the ball in his hands. Let him have it. He could fake a jet sweep for misdirection, or fake one and get a running start as a lead blocker.

I like my fabulous idea to get Noah involved in the run game. Add that dimension, and that makes him more of a problem for the defense.
Yeah that would be an interesting look - especially when he's lined up as an H-back behind the line and everyone's expecting it to come right up the gut

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Brown against Seattle

He IS involved in the run game, lol.
He blocks his tail off.
DAL has always used multiple TE sets and especially a "move" TE set to create run-game match up advantages.

This year that was noticeably absent because early on our TEs were arguably the worst blocking group in the league. --in fairness DAL asks TEs to block really good DEs and such; many teams do not.

Brown returned from injury and the run game seemed to hit a marked uptick.
TE receiving also seemed to burst upwards.

The last thing needed to make that a viable long term plan is Brown to become better as a target.
He has to be much more natural as a receiving threat to make play action fully realized and teams are now very aware of Jarwin.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Seriously? You're ok with giving a 1st round pick 5 years to develop and see if they are busts? There is a reason people run their mouths nonstop, because 1st round picks should be starting no later than their 2nd year. If it takes 4-5 years to find out, why did you draft him in the 1st round for?

Randy White

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yeah that would be an interesting look - especially when he's lined up as an H-back behind the line and everyone's expecting it to come right up the gut

Real two back sets. I've wanted them for years. Instead of gallumping TEs, a blocker who is a threat as a runner. I was hoping Olawale would be that this year.

Make the defense defend all of the run lanes.

Reactions: BAT

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He IS involved in the run game, lol.
He blocks his tail off.
DAL has always used multiple TE sets and especially a "move" TE set to create run-game match up advantages.

This year that was noticeably absent because early on our TEs were arguably the worst blocking group in the league. --in fairness DAL asks TEs to block really good DEs and such; many teams do not.

Brown returned from injury and the run game seemed to hit a marked uptick.
TE receiving also seemed to burst upwards.

The last thing needed to make that a viable long term plan is Brown to become better as a target.
He has to be much more natural as a receiving threat to make play action fully realized and teams are now very aware of Jarwin.

Brown has presumably been in training to become a better target all of his NFL career. I bet he continues, but we shouldn't expect big changes overnight.

But we could turn him into a running threat by just giving him the ball, or faking him the ball. One more threat the defense has to deal with in our running game.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Brown has presumably been in training to become a better target all of his NFL career. I bet he continues, but we shouldn't expect big changes overnight.

But we could turn him into a running threat by just giving him the ball, or faking him the ball. One more threat the defense has to deal with in our running game.

ld;dr version.
just hand the ball to Zeke, let Brown block.

Catching the ball at NFL level is mostly about experience and reps.
And Brown has made the team based on special teams and blocking.
Gallup is still raw so I am OK with brown taking a Miles Austin like time to develop as a WR.
That is a position where most players take time to develop.
It is insanely nuanced because what worked in college does not work versus NFL defenses.

If I never see another jet sweep again I am perfectly happy.
If I do see it, I want it to be a huge surprise and not omg this jet sweep is gonna suck so hard... yup. 4 yard loss.

Again removing Brown as a blocker hurts the run game you are asking him to boost.
Using Beasley or Tavon is more dangerous because of quickness and speed, and a better fit because they are small dudes with limited blocking but also easy to read.

I don't absolutely hate the idea here just think it is like option 101 of about 20 good options.