X&O Analysis: Run Defense

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by xwalker, Oct 10, 2019.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

45,657 Messages
    45,535 Likes Received
    There were no stunts on that play.

The Rams showed zone run right then the RB cut back inside.

The 1-tech flowed to the play-side as required in the scheme.

The 3-tech was on the backside and fell down. This was the primary fail.

Vander Esch got boxed out to the offensive-right on the same side as Jaylon which should never happen.

The 3-tech falling down made it easier for the OL to get out to block Vander Esch.

The 3-tech on that play was Caraun Reid. He is now out of football. He was signed, cut and re-signed last season by the Cowboys.

The play demonstrates my basic point. The 1-tech was flowing to the play-side when Rams showed outside zone run to the right.

Move a LB outside the LDE, have the LDE squeeze the gap inside the RT (play-side B gap) and the 1-tech can play straight ahead instead of sideways

The backside DT (3-tech) fell down in part because he was moving sideways.

2. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

12,521 Messages
    10,576 Likes Received
    There's a reason why teams don't rush 4 245 lb DEs. Or 4 210 lb safeties for that matter. Power and size matter when you rush. They matter *more* on the interior dline. Less width to work with laterally means you have to go *through* the blocker more.

I like Jaylon rushing. I like it more as a blitz coming off the line than lining up on the line. Gives him a better chance to attack a wider region with more speed and momentum. And provides the threat of coverage.

It may very well be that using him in as the 4th dlineman puts our best 4 rushers on the rush. I take that more as a testament to our limited options of interior rushmen than an ideal use of Jaylon.

kskboys and Rockdoc like this.
  3. xwalker

45,657 Messages
    45,535 Likes Received
    My primary point with regards to the players on these run plays is that even the best DT does not help if the scheme has him out of place.

If people don't review game footage, then it does not matter what level of football knowledge they possess.

Nobody can even attempt to have an accurate opinion without reviewing the game footage.

I know those posters just blurt out opinions they had before the games ever occurred.

They don't study game footage to form their opinions.

I would prefer to hear from a 5th grader that reviewed game footage than a "40 year fan" with opinions based on watching the game in real time and never reviewing game footage.

If a post contains "...sucks" then I'm going to have a harsh replay to that post.

Corso likes this.
  4. Corso

Corso Offseason mode... sleepy time

23,933 Messages
    41,071 Likes Received
    I was going to say I suck, but I think I'm just being schemed wrong...
    Thank you X!

Runwildboys, jjktkk and xwalker like this.
  5. xwalker

45,657 Messages
    45,535 Likes Received
    Again, the Pats used the same "3rd down" alignment in the Super Bowl.

Either you know more than Belichick about football or you are incorrect.

Neither the Cowboys or Pats play this alignment when there is any significant chance of a run obtaining a 1st down.

Jaylon is not lined up with his hand down in a DT position. He just replaces the DT in the personnel package.

6. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

6,149 Messages
    1,551 Likes Received
    Your arrogance is your ignorance. You are a self appointed football “expert” in this fan forum which makes all the more incredible how you respond to people and is still allowed by the moderators.

You asked for X and O conversations but then you bash the responses when they don’t agree with your assessment.

No scheme works when your lineman are getting hooked and turned at the POA. DL should not “flow” to the playside especially in this one gap scheme. GB has a unique style of OL play that irks me but that’s not going to change anytime soon.

7. xwalker

45,657 Messages
    45,535 Likes Received
    You went on and on about some issue in a thread a while back and proved that there is no point discussing anything with you. You have no ability to understand simple concepts and you have no desire to learn when things are explained to you by multiple people.

8. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

12,521 Messages
    10,576 Likes Received
    Or the situations aren't as comparable as you claim.

Are you talking alignment or personnel packages? I like Jaylon being in on 3rd down passing situations and blitzing. If he just lines up from the git go as a dlineman I like it much less.

9. Corso

Corso Offseason mode... sleepy time

23,933 Messages
    41,071 Likes Received
    I don't recall him putting his hand in the dirt in any games. He was stand-up and then rushed.
    Maybe I'm wrong?

10. Johnny23

Johnny23 Well-Known Member

1,886 Messages
    1,366 Likes Received
    That's a fair point @xwalker thank you for the reply and I tend to agree. I find the alignment you showed for Dallas good for passes but leaving running lanes wide open between the gaps because of the splits. I do appreciate this thread and decided to take a step away and clear my head.

Runwildboys, xwalker and Corso like this.
  11. Dak_Attack_09

Dak_Attack_09 Well-Known Member

1,272 Messages
    1,215 Likes Received
    It doesn’t matter about the alignments, good DTs can move around and wherever they are line up they hold the line of scrimmage minimum or push the line backwards.

12. Johnny23

Johnny23 Well-Known Member

1,886 Messages
    1,366 Likes Received
    Yes. I think we have average DTs. I don't think they're bad but we don't have a stud.

13. OldCoach

OldCoach Well-Known Member

396 Messages
    702 Likes Received
    We run so many twists and stunts. That’s our problem

nalam likes this.
  14. nalam

nalam The realist

4,750 Messages
    1,898 Likes Received
    That is the big dif; between Rod and Beliichk. scheming and Adjusting accordingly,

Look out the posture of all DL , they are all well set to hold , not to rush and defend run on the way to Qb BS which Rod has been putting out there for years on us.

15. CF74

CF74 Vet Min Plus

25,843 Messages
    14,291 Likes Received
  16. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

24,726 Messages
    15,918 Likes Received
    YOu cant cover for a weakness like we have where it DT's AND safeties. Too weak up the middle. And our weaknesses are really really bad.

kskboys likes this.
  17. Number1

Number1 Well-Known Member

1,690 Messages
    1,326 Likes Received
    agreed, both CBs and both OLBs getting beat to the edge, and that had nothing to do with scheme, just bad play

the 1 gap system works great when your D3 wins and your D1 holds their own,

xwalker is right they will get gashed at times - the scheme assumes AP LBs.

and that's the thing, why do our LBs and Ss seem to have slower reflexes the last few weeks?

CCBoy likes this.
  18. xwalker

45,657 Messages
    45,535 Likes Received
    Jaylon is not literally lined up as a DT. He takes the place of a DT.

In the Nickel defense the Nickel CB takes the place of the SLB. The Nickel CB is not literally playing LB.

19. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

33,196 Messages
    13,678 Likes Received
    A good basic response there. A combination of reasons of causes resulted in what we watched. I agree with Jason Witten...it's time to start doing and not thinking success. I think the team can put the pieces back together so that parts of a puzzle are no more.

20. Future

Future Intramural Legend

23,448 Messages
    9,816 Likes Received
    No it's not lol.