X&O Analysis: Run Defense

Chrispierce

Reaction score
You’re braver than me....wasn’t bad enough seeing it,you want to analyze it too.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Admirable analysis, X.

I hope to find an video analysis on how the Saints vaunted run defense, like the Pats .. also was able to limit the same Rams run attack that utterly ran wildly amok on Cowboys run defense for a record breaking single playoff game rushing total. (just 77 rushing yds and both RBs held under 3.0 yards per avg.)

And that was with Rankins already out for the year (Achilles).. and before the Saints signed up FA Malcolm Brown in the offseason.

Good question. I should review that game.

It helped that the Saints & Pats saw the Cowboys-Rams because the Rams tweaked their scheme for the playoffs.

Number1

Reaction score
all Xs and Os comes down to execution, it requires play makers

maybe we've been missing the key feature of this team's O and D
this is a simple play action deep O and a simple 1 gap read and run D - JG is right his biggest job is finding talent.
both are big play systems, designed to overwhelm the opposition withdraw talent and aggression

they are importing more and more wrinkles into what was supposed to be a near full time 4-2. they are getting away from the core idea, maybe due to the Rams ... IMO, this run D works best as a 4-2 with a serious box S, like Church, and man up.

that means, Jones, Heath/Lewis, Woods, Brown, and Chido
come 2nd or 3rd and long ... SS (Heath/?) out NB (Lewis) in.

If i had this back 7 I'd probably run blitz more and slant / stunt less.
a key point off this D is to create tackles for loss vs the run, which are as effective as sacks
you should end up with more stuffs than gashes, in theory

if they want to be a 4-2 ball hawk read and run attack D then do it, don't dabble at it

but bottom line the game is won and lost in the trenches - for this system to work your D3 has to get in the back field,
even with great LBs. They spread the DL to CREATE AND WIN THE 1 ON 1 at D3 vs OG, run and pass.

Melek and Covington have to make more plays. I'd really stop so many stunts and just put it on them to beat their man

it requires play makers - especially at D3, with a Randy White on the field this would be an awesome D