Xavier Su'a Fila signs with Bengals 3yr/10 mill

Carson

Reaction score
Good for X.

Great in the run game, not so much in pass protection.

Get your money and enjoy Cincy

RS12

Reaction score
Welp. This increases the chance that a high pick is spent on an O Lineman. Anybody trust Connor Williams coming off an ACL as starting LG? As bad as they need defense, watch someone with a high grade falling to round 2.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I always hated typing that apostrophe and space in his name. Total win for lazy typists.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Welp. This increases the chance that a high pick is spent on an O Lineman. Anybody trust Connor Williams coming off an ACL as starting LG? As bad as they need defense, watch someone with a high grade falling to round 2.
Well, Connor McGovern should be able to fill in at LG....at least, I hope so.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Well, I guess that means the Bengals will not be drafting an OL with the top pick in the draft.

Bluefin

Reaction score
I'm really hoping we can somehow bring back Looney.
I'm surprised XSF got paid before Jumbo Joe.

Looney is a much better player and can line up at two spots.

Well, Connor McGovern should be able to fill in at LG....at least, I hope so.
Connor McGovern might be the best option to take Looney's role as the reserve C/G if he doesn't win the starting nod at LG.

Though, with the new 48 man game day roster rules requiring at least 8 OL, there may no longer be a need for a reserve C/G.

I'm looking forward to seeing McGovern, Brandon Knight and Mitch Hyatt in their second seasons.

McG was injured, some in the organization thought Knight might fit best as a guard before showing some promise on the outside and Hyatt was a surprise add after going undrafted.

Hyatt evidently just never got stronger during his time at Clemson and NFL teams were worried he might not be able to do it as a pro.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Connor McGovern might be the best option to take Looney's role as the reserve C/G if he doesn't win the starting nod at LG.

Bob Sturm did a review of McGovern after the draft and thought he was a better player than Williams. Its going to be interesting to see the battle in training camp, IMO we have six starting caliber OL with McGovern healthy.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
They just used a 3rd on Connor McGovern last year.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I was wondering about that too. Fleming got a big 2 year deal with the 2nd year obviously never going to happen.

A lot of times they do that so if the player does great, they still have him under contract. And the player doesn't complain because it sounds a lot better to say its a 10 million dollar contract instead of saying its 3 Million guaranteed over 2 years.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob Sturm did a review of McGovern after the draft and thought he was a better player than Williams. Its going to be interesting to see the battle in training camp, IMO we have six starting caliber OL with McGovern healthy.
Just need to keep them healthy. Top 3-4 unit in the league and darn good enough to win a championship with. I expect to see a vet OL signing or two for depth.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Looney is a much better player and can line up at two spots.

Though, with the new 48 man game day roster rules requiring at least 8 OL, there may no longer be a need for a reserve C/G.

I'm looking forward to seeing McGovern, Brandon Knight and Mitch Hyatt in their second seasons.

McG was injured, some in the organization thought Knight might fit best as a guard before showing some promise on the outside and Hyatt was a surprise add after going undrafted.

Hyatt evidently just never got stronger during his time at Clemson and NFL teams were worried he might not be able to do it as a pro.

8OL required game day active? That's interesting.

Plays into my hope that we work on turning one of the backups into a short yardage blocking TE too. Gotta get some game day value out of that 3rd backup lineman. Almost certain that a lot of teams call a blocking TE a T to make use of that extra lineman spot.

From talk last year, they didn't consider Looney a viable option at G for a full game. More of a way to have one guy who can finish a game at 3 positions. That he as the last resort to get on the field last year tells you something.

McGovern, if as advertised, could credibly backup all interior positions if Williams takes LG.
If McGovern at LG, then it's Williams swing T/G, Knight to swing T, Redmond/Looney to backup C.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Just need to keep them healthy. Top 3-4 unit in the league and darn good enough to win a championship with. I expect to see a vet OL signing or two for depth.

I think Fleming was a lock to get cut or restructured but I can definitely see a veteran OT signed for that spot who McCarthy or the offensive coaches know well. I think they also draft a project OT late because this draft is so deep at the position.