Video: Xavier Woods on Undisputed: "we needed new energy"

Rayman70

Reaction score
Woods makin more excuses for that D and Dflaw. MAN alive, does he really believe what he says? My goodness. MAYBE Woods is part of the culture issue as well. His mindset is basically, mediocre was acceptable. HE NOT ONCE SAID THAT THE DEFENSE DIDNT HAVE ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT. He did mention the bad missed tackles in Chicago. But what he failed to mention was THAT was a big issue all year. MM wont stand for that..he better wake up and smell the coffee. Mike Nolan expects sound fundamentals and results.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Well while he was there for 3 seasons, they made the playoffs and won the same amount of playoff games as Dallas did. One appearance and zero wins. They swept us in 2016. You realize his first year in NYG, we were the ones who finished last place, right? And in 2016, they got the wild card and beat us twice. So many people on here wanted GB to beat NYG in the playoffs so we would not have to face them again in the divisional round.

You do understand what he is telling you. They may have done things different in NY but it didn't help them win any ball games. Whatever approach they used, it didn't work so to use that as a basis to bash what Garrett did or didn't do is kinda silly. They were a bad football team every year he was there, except 1, when they went 11-5 (we went 13-3) the same year.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Need a little fear of failure
And a new scheme
listen to Woods in this piece with Skip and Shannon. Does he look like he's fearing failure? In fact, he's doubling down on it stating they were just fine. That scares me a little going forward. MAYBE he isn't the guy we need on the back end of the D. I lost some respect for him. He lacks that killer mentality at safety. He sounded indifferent.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have been watching Woods do television interviews since he was in high school. It is nice knowing he seems as humble as he has always been.

lol @ Bayless or anyone outside the area who have a problem with saying 'Monroe'.

Nothing specifically new or anything that has not been speculated about already. Glad to hear the players are adopting their new coaching staff right off the bat. Thanks for posting @Zordon .

Rayman70

Reaction score
I have been watching Woods do television interviews since he was in high school. It is nice knowing he seems as humble as he has always been.

lol @ Bayless or anyone outside the area who have a problem with saying 'Monroe'.

Nothing specifically new or anything that has not been speculated about already. Glad to hear the players are adopting their new coaching staff right off the bat. Thanks for posting @Zordon .
I like woods the person. But man, where's the fire and where's the accountability? How can anyone defend Garrett and that D? Missed tackles just weren't an isolated thing...it was all year. To say it was only the Chicago game is an injustice.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why are they interviewing Woods? I gave up trying to understand him.

I do have a question about energy, is the coaching staff supposed to generate that? Richard was pretty energetic.

All I want to hear from any player is "we didn't get it done and contributed to getting our coaches fired". If they want to be a part of the solution, take ownership of the problem.

If a coach called the wrong D and players were out of position, that's one thing but if a player failed to cover, get off the single block, make the interception or tackle, that's not on coaching……….old or new energy.

Nothing as convenient as the old guard going out to hang it all on them.

But that's no different than what a lot of posters have been doing it here, blaming it all on Garrett and the coaching staff. Couldn't be that they overvalued the talent just like the FO did?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean he was fighting for his job. Wouldn't you do the same?

Yeah, I hear players all over the league whining about their teams signing guys to take their job. If Xavier was as good as he thinks he is, he's got nothing to worry about and can do all his talking on the field.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I wonder if he'd be better at SS...…………..or, like I said about A. Woods in another post, the D will be 10x better if he's the 3rd S

I think he looked good when we had him in the nickel corner role. If we don't re-sign Jones and Brown, I could see us trying to upgrade both safety spots and move Woods back to the nickel.

This does not mean I'm upset with his play at free safety. I can't see him playing strong safety at all because I just don't think he has the size for it.

I'm very interested in seeing if Donovan Wilson can step up in one of those roles, but that wouldn't stop me from trying to upgrade the positions.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
“They need to change it up.”

In other words, we need a competitive advantage, predictability can be exploited....

ondaedg

Reaction score
Pretty insightful discussion.

He said players loved Garrett but they needed new energy. He emphasized this a couple of times during the interview.

He said we have dawgs on defense but we need a "system update". Mentioned the Niners as a team that plays a similar D but they mix up the coverages more and that Dallas needs to do that more.

He defended D-Law's performance this season but said players in general were at fault for the poor tackling throughout the season. Shannon challenged him about the players needing to do more.

They also discuss the Jerry dynamic, X called him "the boss" when his asked about his meddling.

He sounds excited for Mike McCarthy and the new coaching staff.

X is a very thoughtful person but I am disappointed in his play this year. I hope he steps it up next season.

Perfect attitude. Need 10 more of him on that defense.

ondaedg

Reaction score
“They need to change it up.”

In other words, we need a competitive advantage, predictability can be exploited....

Yep. The players went out and for the most part played hard. They know that there are coaches in this league who put their players in good positions to be successful and they also know that JG didn't do that very well. They want that scheme advantage too.