XFL shutting down

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The only way an XFL type league will work is if it is NFL supported (see G League) and teams are actual farm systems of some sort.

Let NFL practice squad players play in XFL.
Biggest thing is LET NFL 3rd string QBs (they'd have to define this very specifically but perhaps each team could block only 2 QBs) play in XFL.
QB play is issue with lesser leagues.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Last time they were up, they deserved to fail. This time feels a little different because I feel like they weren't trying to create a circus and were actually putting effort towards being a legitimate league.

Their kickoff setup is light years ahead of the NFL. Whoever thought of that should be working for the NFL by the end of today. It retains the big play potential of a kickoff while also reduces the massive collisions. It looks funny, but it's a perfect compromise. Given the option to do away with kickoffs all together (as it would seem the NFL wants to do) or adopting the XFL kickoff, I'll take the XFL kickoff every damn time.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The odds were stacked against the league from the get-go. Then life dumped a ton of bricks on top of the odds. One of these days, a hopeful pro football league entrepreneur will finally review past omens and decide, "Nah. I'll pass."

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This is the second time the XFL has gone bust. In 2001 the league went bust after one season. A thread was started when the league was about to kick off this year and I said the XFL would be lucky to make it one full season. You’re not going to attract a big audience to watch a bunch of NFL castoff’s and rejects. Landry Jones who many on this board thought would be a great NFL QB took a beating in the XFL. lol

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Last time they were up, they deserved to fail. This time feels a little different because I feel like they weren't trying to create a circus and were actually putting effort towards being a legitimate league.

Their kickoff setup is light years ahead of the NFL. Whoever thought of that should be working for the NFL by the end of today. It retains the big play potential of a kickoff while also reduces the massive collisions. It looks funny, but it's a perfect compromise. Given the option to do away with kickoffs all together (as it would seem the NFL wants to do) or adopting the XFL kickoff, I'll take the XFL kickoff every damn time.
What caught my attention was the transparency of the officials and their calls in real time.

After a lifetime of secrecy with ref calls..

this was brilliant.

The only better thing would be if the viewer at home could do a poll in real time about whether they agreed with the call or not.

Add interactive features like that and football would be off the charts popular.

I do not think it would even be hard to do with technology today.

:thumbup:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Very disappointed. I loved the product. But the current situation for a start up league really hurt it. Sad.

The leagues ratings were falling before the current situation arose that stopped play. The first couple of weeks the ratings were respectable and began to decline week after week.

Proof

Reaction score

what was it