CFZ Yesterday’s game had multiple reminders for us

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys are 6-2 at the bye. They are 5-1 since that disaster to start the season against Tampa. Most of us, including me would not have predicted that back on opening night.

Sometimes we all need to be reminded of several truths about the long NFL season and what that entails. Here are some of those reminders:
  • Things can change very quickly in the NFL. Right now, most fans and sports writers already think Philly has the NFCE wrapped up. Hardly. We have 9 games to play and the e-girls have 10. Tons of football left to be played. The giants lost yesterday and we leap frogged them into second place. Things change quickly.
  • Even a great defense like ours may need the offense to carry the day. Yesterday reminded us. In today's NFL, it’s very hard for any defense to dominate the opponent week after week. Yesterday, the offense carried the day. Most games, our defense may dominate. But not always.
  • Even a weaker NFL opponent can have a good game against us. The bears surprised many fans yesterday. But we should remember- this isn’t college football. All NFL teams have good players and coaches. Anyone can beat you. I’d didn’t think our defense played that bad. I think their offense is better than many thought.
  • Young players can develop into better players. This is a young team with many developing players. Most are getting better as the season progresses. Look at the young TEs we have in Ferguson and Hendershot. Sam Williams is getting better. Tyler Smith seems to be getting better at LT every week.
  • Teams develop and adapt too. All teams are constantly changing and developing. This is why you can’t assume when a team has a good or bad game that it won’t get better or worse. On opening night, too many of us assumed that was how the season would go. This team developed.
Tons of football left to be played. Yesterday reminded me that things change. Every week.

75boyz

Reaction score
As to the weaker opponent having a good game as well as all NFL teams having good players...

This bye is a perfect opportunity to self scout and shore up (trades/FAs?) both scheme and personnel deficiencies.

That was a good running team. But that's what they do. They run.
I hope Quinn can adapt his personnel to run schemes that will be more effective against the likes of any strong run team.

And especially against the Hurts RPO in Philly and the Jones and Barkley combo with NYG.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Anyone who really understands football knows why the expression any given Sunday exists.

But then there are others who say we struggled against the worst defense in football. Those are the ones who need to br reminded any team can out perform their stats and their record any given Sunday.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
If you define "weak" by win-loss record, sure. But this is the NFL.

Since you like to remind everyone of the obvious, I'll remind you on any given Sunday.

Aven8

Reaction score
I said this yesterday after the game that the Bears were the best offense we have faced all season. Better than Philly. They execute really well and was very impressed.

rambo2

Reaction score
Cowboys are 6-2 at the bye. They are 5-1 since that disaster to start the season against Tampa. Most of us, including me would not have predicted that back on opening night.

Sometimes we all need to be reminded of several truths about the long NFL season and what that entails. Here are some of those reminders:
  • Things can change very quickly in the NFL. Right now, most fans and sports writers already think Philly has the NFCE wrapped up. Hardly. We have 9 games to play and the e-girls have 10. Tons of football left to be played. The giants lost yesterday and we leap frogged them into second place. Things change quickly.
  • Even a great defense like ours may need the offense to carry the day. Yesterday reminded us. In today's NFL, it’s very hard for any defense to dominate the opponent week after week. Yesterday, the offense carried the day. Most games, our defense may dominate. But not always.
  • Even a weaker NFL opponent can have a good game against us. The bears surprised many fans yesterday. But we should remember- this isn’t college football. All NFL teams have good players and coaches. Anyone can beat you. I’d didn’t think our defense played that bad. I think their offense is better than many thought.
  • Young players can develop into better players. This is a young team with many developing players. Most are getting better as the season progresses. Look at the young TEs we have in Ferguson and Hendershot. Sam Williams is getting better. Tyler Smith seems to be getting better at LT every week.
  • Teams develop and adapt too. All teams are constantly changing and developing. This is why you can’t assume when a team has a good or bad game that it won’t get better or worse. On opening night, too many of us assumed that was how the season would go. This team developed.
Tons of football left to be played. Yesterday reminded me that things change. Every week.
The 1st game of the year is like a preseason game in this modern era.

rambo2

Reaction score
As to the weaker opponent having a good game as well as all NFL teams having good players...

This bye is a perfect opportunity to self scout and shore up (trades/FAs?) both scheme and personnel deficiencies.

I hope Quinn can adapt his personnel to run schemes that will be more effective against the likes of any strong run team.

And especially against the Hurts RPO in Philly and the Jones and Barkley combo with NYG.
The NFL is also running out of good players as more and more get knocked out for the season or a month. A key will be what happens to the Eagles they just lost their big 1st round defensive tackle and when they lose their right tackle again, they will have a problem.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
This is a nice "master of the obvious" thread, if you don't mind me digging up that old internet meme. What are we supposed to discuss?

The Bears hung the most points in a game this season around our neck. More than Tom, the two superbowl teams and the red hot Eagles managed to do. That isn't just them doing good. Our run defense really couldn't cope with their (somehow unexpected but not unknown) quality. Players, including Micah and Tank were chasing Fields and missed him countless times. And that's not just because he's one heck of a scrambler. Their angles were off quite a few times and we're lucky that there are few QBs like him. A win is a win but that's not rocket science. Fortunately their one dimensional offense couldn't keep up with Dak and Tony.

It does happen, but this needs to be adressed. And yes, you can't be flawless, so wait for more monday morning phrases coming your way in this thread. ;)

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I really enjoy this version of our team. Seems weighted well! Set up to do some great things if we stay healthy. I don’t want to get too fired up but NFC is setting up great except Eagles really and maybe 49ers

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score

I think it is a good thing that they got beat up a little by Hurts, Jones and Fields. Still managed to get two wins and the experience to learn from. Both will come in very handy down the road.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
We have got to continue to improve. The teams who go deep in the playoffs are generally the teams that just keep getting better. The ones who rule Sept & Oct but aren't really improving fade out. That was the battle cry of the unnamed one's era. The process didn't include anything past mediocre.

75boyz

Reaction score
I think it is a good thing that they got beat up a little by Hurts, Jones and Fields. Still managed to get two wins and the experience to learn from. Both will come in very handy down the road.

Yep, in the big picture sense,
me too. I mean it gives Quinn film to figure out how to go forward more effectively against the run.

At least I hope, lol.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
We need to give Kellen Moore and Philbon credit. The development of the young offensive line has been extraordinary. Tyler gets better every game and the rhythm between Martin and Steele on running plays is off the charts. Those young tight ends along with Shultz/Mckeon gets better every time they walk on the field. This team will get better and better.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have got to continue to improve. The teams who go deep in the playoffs are generally the teams that just keep getting better. The ones who rule Sept & Oct but aren't really improving fade out. That was the battle cry of the unnamed one's era. The process didn't include anything past mediocre.
Agree…me must improve. We knew going into this season that our run defense needed to improve. It’s one of the main reasons we had an early exit from the playoffs. If we don’t improve in this area we probably won’t get any further in the playoffs this year.

And yet, looking at many posts on this forum, too many of our fans are saying all we need is a better WR. I mean I guess that would help, but IMO, we need some more DL help and maybe some more depth at LB or CB.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
We need to give Kellen Moore and Philbon credit. The development of the young offensive line has been extraordinary. Tyler gets better every game and the rhythm between Martin and Steele on running plays is off the charts. Those young tight ends along with Shultz/Mckeon gets better every time they walk on the field. This team will get better and better.

Can't be said loud enough with all the hate against him going on. But, last year we were also 6-2 at this point and then it all went to sh**. So, one game at a time, and once we've made the play offs it's a whole new ballgame anyway.

75boyz

Reaction score
Agree…me must improve. We knew going into this season that our run defense needed to improve. It’s one of the main reasons we had an early exit from the playoffs. If we don’t improve in this area we probably won’t get any further in the playoffs this year.

And yet, looking at many posts on this forum, too many of our fans are saying all we need is a better WR. I mean I guess that would help, but IMO, we need some more DL help and maybe some more depth at LB or CB.
Same here as I responded in another post.
I want the best run stopping d lineman and best run tackling linebacker as is available that could be an upgrade.