CFZ You can't always get what you want

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And so the Stones song goes and this has a very good application for the Cowboys and their QB and this is not another Dak Prescott thread, it is about all the other QB's they could have.

While I wasted time watching that Jags-Jets snorer last night, I was struck by something about the Jets and their situation at QB, that could be the Cowboys.

Famous 2nd picks in the draft Ryan Leaf, Carson Wentz and Zack Wilson are a lesson for those of us who have forgotten the lessons between Aikman and Romo. Or they could have had Lynch or Cook instead of Prescott.

But let's not stop with the busts at that 2nd pick. How about these 1st round QB picks: Andre Ware, Jeff George, Todd Marinovich, David Klingler, Art Schlichter, Josh Rosen, Todd Blackledge, Kelly Stouffer, Heath Shuler, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel (could have had him) and Marcus Mariotta. Most of those QB's were slingers, right down the owner's sweet spot.

The QB pool every year is a swim at your own risk with the best QB scouts in the league. The Cowboys wanted Lynch and Cook, think about that while you want a different QB. While you are at it, think about how they got Romo and Prescott or this could be even worse.

Even the highly touted QB's like Allen, Herbert, Burrow and Mahomes need help. Rodgers is a pretty good example of that as well.

So, what's easier to do. Strike gold with a blue chip QB that can lift the team and how many are there really like that or get a QB in the top 1/3 and once you have him, build around him?

I get it with those that do not want Prescott as the DC QB but might want cancel out need? The NYJ are now faced with a real QB problem and the Cowboys are not. The NYG and WAS might also have QB problems because Damiel Jones was a 1st round pick and no way I'd take him over Prescott.

When I consider the brain trust of this team and the QB history, that is one position I do not want them picking out of need. Much rather have them picking any other positions.

blueblood70

Reaction score
And so the Stones song goes and this has a very good application for the Cowboys and their QB and this is not another Dak Prescott thread, it is about all the other QB's they could have.

While I wasted time watching that Jags-Jets snorer last night, I was struck by something about the Jets and their situation at QB, that could be the Cowboys.

Famous 2nd picks in the draft Ryan Leaf, Carson Wentz and Zack Wilson are a lesson for those of us who have forgotten the lessons between Aikman and Romo. Or they could have had Lynch or Copok instead of Prescott.

But let's not stop with the busts at that 2nd pick. How about these 1st round QB picks: Andre Ware, Jeff George, Todd Marinovich, David Klingler, Art Schlichter, Josh Rosen, Todd Blackledge, Kelly Stouffer, Heath Shuler, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel (could have had him) and Marcus Mariotta. Most of those QB's were slingers, right down the owner's sweet spot.

The QB pool every year is a swim at your own risk with the best QB scouts in the league. The Cowboys wanted Lynch and Cook, think about that while you want a different QB. While you are at it, think about how they got Romo and Prescott or this could be even worse.

Even the highly touted QB's like Allen, Herbert, Burrow and Mahomes need help. Rodgers is a pretty good example of that as well.

So, what's easier to do. Strike gold with a blue chip QB that can lift the team and how many are there really like that or get a QB in the top 1/3 and once you have him, build around him?

I get it with those that do not want Prescott as the DC QB but might want cancel out need? The NYJ are now faced with a real QB problem and the Cowboys are not. The NYG and WAS might also have QB problems because Damiel Jones was a 1st round pick and no way I'd take him over Prescott.

When I consider the brain trust of this team and the QB history, that is one position I do not want them picking out of need. Much rather have them picking any other positions.
correct not just the jets , look how many drafts and qbs, coaches, and gms teams keep replacing for decades with no dividends like CLE, AZ, Carolina, Washington, NYG/NYJ, Denver, INDY, and others and nothing changes then soem get desperate and overpay for FA qb and give up crazy draft picks and money and it still doesn't payoff , I mean Denver and CLE just did that short term looks bad but either way none of those qbs are that kind of draft capital or cash better than Dak. we dint have to trade for dak or give up draft capital and his money being around 8 now in top qb pay, whats the issue. lie you said , dial up 1800 Elite qb and poof hes here. ill take Romo and dak B2B and change for a playoff run more often than not over waiting decade for the perfect qb..

Praxit

Reaction score
..CC, I prefer "One bell less to answer". We stick with Dak, through thick n thin..

He's proven to be cautious and capable of getting us over the hill.

Besides we don't have many choices to choose from. Then have to build around them all over again.

Best to roll the dice.

cnuball21

Reaction score
And a lot of those busts checked all the right boxes. Jeff George had a Josh Allen arm. I remember the votes from scouts were split evenly between Manning and Leaf for the 1st pick.

Yup.

I think we can make a run with Dak, but I’m not opposed to drafting developmental QBs the next few years to try and find the next guy at the same time. Don’t see us having a high 1st rounder anytime soon.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Yeah. I’ve said this in about every Dak thread I can stomach posting in. (And this is a Dak thread-they all are).

Getting a decent QB isn’t easy at all. Some think it’s relatively easy. They are the type that like to learn the hard way.

kskboys

Reaction score

Famous 2nd picks in the draft Ryan Leaf, Carson Wentz and Zack Wilson are a lesson for those of us who have forgotten the lessons between Aikman and Romo. Or they could have had Lynch or Copok instead of Prescott.

I truly believe Prescott would be fine if we'd stop acting as if he's Mahomes. Run the dang ball and set up an O more conducive to his skillset.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Too many words for me......

kskboys

Reaction score
And use his strengths, such as rollouts more often.
And it's not about him running the ball. That is not the answer. Play action. And for all that's holy, have him take more snaps under C. This constant shotgun crapp just makes it easier on the opposing D. Run some 5 yd routes over the middle.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen Dak not be able to find anyone open and the middle of the field is bare.

DFWJC

Reaction score
And a lot of those busts checked all the right boxes. Jeff George had a Josh Allen arm. I remember the votes from scouts were split evenly between Manning and Leaf for the 1st pick.
That Ryan Leaf comment is true! Amazing

To be fair, I'm not sure Jeff George remotely belongs on that list with the Art Schelists, Akili Smiths, and Jamarcus Russells of the draft.
:laugh:
Now those guys were TRUE busts.

George wasn't Dan Marino like many hoped, but the man had > 27,600 passing yards, led the league in passing a year, was runner-up for Player of the Year, and had a long career

He entered the league in the same era as Aikman yet had a similar passer rating and almost as many passing yards as Troy (definitely not saying he was better) but got stuck on bad teams long term

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That Ryan Leaf comment is true! Amazing

To be fair, I'm not sure Jeff George remotely belongs on that list with the Art Schelists, Akili Smiths, and Jamarcus Russells of the draft.
:laugh:
Now those guys were TRUE busts.

George wasn't Dan Marino like many hoped, but the man had > 27,600 passing yards, led the league in passing a year, was runner-up for Player of the Year, and had a long career

He entered the league in the same era as Aikman yet had a similar passer rating and almost as many passing yards as Troy (definitely not saying he was better) but got stuck on bad teams long term
I was at a game and was watching him warm up and he threw a rocket 60 yards in the air and that ball did not get over 15' off the ground.

kskboys

Reaction score
I was at a game and was watching him warm up and he threw a rocket 60 yards in the air and that ball did not get over 15' off the ground.
Same w/ Jamarcus. And Trey Lance prolly has the best arm in football at present.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Can’t we all just settle on the following….?

Dak Prescott is a very good but not great QB who needs to be used correctly to have success.

He needs to run himself more often, and not be featured as a passer.

I have a tough time blaming Dak himself over the team for not recognizing his strengths and weaknesses better. He isn’t some top end pocket passer. His lack of ability (or desire) to run more just kills his game.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Famous 2nd picks in the draft Ryan Leaf, Carson Wentz and Zack Wilson are a lesson for those of us who have forgotten the lessons between Aikman and Romo. Or they could have had Lynch or Cook instead of Prescott.

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes, well, you might find
You get what you need

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Can’t we all just settle on the following….?

Dak Prescott is a very good but not great QB who needs to be used correctly to have success.

He needs to run himself more often, and not be featured as a passer.

I have a tough time blaming Dak himself over the team for not recognizing his strengths and weaknesses better. He isn’t some top end pocket passer. His lack of ability (or desire) to run more just kills his game.

I think it's obvious why he doesn't run more. That kind of injury is hard to forget. But I agree with good, not great. He doesn't suck, as I see here often, he's just not elite.

Acceptablename

Reaction score

In other words we’re stuck with DAK!