You college football gurus

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
If we go safety at 17 who is the safest pro ready safety.....Delpit or McKinney?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we go safety at 17 who is the safest pro ready safety.....Delpit or McKinney?
Either from what I've seen but they both played on good D's with good secondary's and it they let Jones walk, they have to address CB first.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
They're ranked pretty evenly in most of the draftnik places you'll find. It mostly just comes down to the individual evaluator.

For me, McKinney's floor is just rock-solid. He's a football genius who can line up all over the back seven, no injury issues, no character issues, tackling's good, ball skills are good. The only questions surrounding him are with his athleticism - he's not bad, but he looks pretty average, and you can do better than an average athlete with a top 20 pick.

But if you are talking safe, McKinney could have probably been starting on an NFL defense last year. Delpit's game looks like it will translate smoothly as well, but McKinney is just itching to go.

Carson

Reaction score
They're ranked pretty evenly in most of the draftnik places you'll find. It mostly just comes down to the individual evaluator.

For me, McKinney's floor is just rock-solid. He's a football genius who can line up all over the back seven, no injury issues, no character issues, tackling's good, ball skills are good. The only questions surrounding him are with his athleticism - he's not bad, but he looks pretty average, and you can do better than an average athlete with a top 20 pick.

But if you are talking safe, McKinney could have probably been starting on an NFL defense last year. Delpit's game looks like it will translate smoothly as well, but McKinney is just itching to go.

From an article I read .. not sure if the site is allowed on here. But credit and scouting report goes to Brian Martin from the star.

Xavier McKinney is at his best when he’s playing around the line of scrimmage. Grant Delpit on the other hand is at his best when he’s playing as a deep safety in coverage where he can use his range and instincts. It’s his ability to neutralize a receiver or tight end in coverage that makes him a better fit with the Dallas Cowboys in my opinion.

garyv

Reaction score
They are different players. Delpit more of a roamer and tackling needs to improve some and McKinney more of a tackler, hitter and and enforcer likes to be more into the action. I can't
say who would be better for the Cowboys however I like McKinney a little bit more than Delpit.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
From an article I read .. not sure if the site is allowed on here. But credit and scouting report goes to Brian Martin from the star.

Xavier McKinney is at his best when he’s playing around the line of scrimmage. Grant Delpit on the other hand is at his best when he’s playing as a deep safety in coverage where he can use his range and instincts. It’s his ability to neutralize a receiver or tight end in coverage that makes him a better fit with the Dallas Cowboys in my opinion.

That's a fair way to put it.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I'm a bigger fan of McKinney myself. He looks like a versatile piece for a secondary who needs a little piece of everything. I think he's the better SS or box player of the two. If Dallas is truly committed to X. Woods at the FS spot then McKinney makes the most sense to me. They're both good players, especially at 17 and I'd be happy with either. Dallas use to operate with the philosophy of taking the best of a certain position group in the first round. Safety is one of those few spots where Dallas may be able to sit still at 17 and get the top rated player of that position group. They're not going to get the best DT, DE, WR, OT, or QB, but they may just get the best safety.

McKinney checks a lot of boxes. Well coached, big time competition week in and week out, versatile, high football IQ, good tackler, good body length, and instinctive.

Carson

Reaction score
I'm a bigger fan of McKinney myself. He looks like a versatile piece for a secondary who needs a little piece of everything. I think he's the better SS or box player of the two. If Dallas is truly committed to X. Woods at the FS spot then McKinney makes the most sense to me. They're both good players, especially at 17 and I'd be happy with either. Dallas use to operate with the philosophy of taking the best of a certain position group in the first round. Safety is one of those few spots where Dallas may be able to sit still at 17 and get the top rated player of that position group. They're not going to get the best DT, DE, WR, OT, or QB, but they may just get the best safety.

McKinney checks a lot of boxes. Well coached, big time competition week in and week out, versatile, high football IQ, good tackler, good body length, and instinctive.

100% spot on.

It literally comes down to how the FO views Xavier.

If they are comfortable putting Woods in the box ... we go Delpit.

If they prefer Woods playing centerfield, we go McKinney.

My two cents is this. A box safety is easier to find. There aren’t many center field safeties out there.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I would never take a safety like McKinney in the first round and I like Delpit but these safeties are my option if I’m desperate.

Right now my top 3 guys I want in the first round that is somewhat realistic is..

1. Kinlaw - Probably doesn’t make it out of top 10 though

2. Chaisson - Pressure player with huge upside

3. Ruggs - Assuming Lamb and Jesus are gone

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You know....

Not a popular opinion right now but... I’d take Kyle Dugger over McKinney too just for the upside.

Is it safe? No... But that guy has bigtime potential.. You can get a solid safety anytime.. Might as well shoot for the moon.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

Depends on what kind of safety your looking for.....Delpit is more of a down in the box type....(personally I think he's over rated/takes bad angles).....not gonna be able to handle the physicality on the next level. But you do see the occasional splash play.

Mckinney is more of your free safety type....better in space...Covers more ground. Seems to have better range....but don't ask him to tackle much....he will shy away from that worse than Delpit.

batman36

Reaction score
I would never take a safety like McKinney in the first round and I like Delpit but these safeties are my option if I’m desperate.

Right now my top 3 guys I want in the first round that is somewhat realistic is..

1. Kinlaw - Probably doesn’t make it out of top 10 though

2. Chaisson - Pressure player with huge upside

3. Ruggs - Assuming Lamb and Jesus are gone
Son, if you can add my Lord and Savior to this franchise, your incessant Dak posts, shall be forgiven. By Him, not by me.

Paintrain4978

Reaction score
McKinney, he is as solid as you can find at SS.

When it comes to Delpit, if you ask me of the 2 who will be a potential pro bowler, if not all pro my answer is Delpit. On the flip side if you ask of the 2 who will bust my answer will be Delpit as well. He’s a pure boom or bust in my eyes.

So of the 2 McKinney is the safer pick.

Creeper

Reaction score
I will say it again, Alabama produces football players. McKinney is what the Cowboys need in the secondary because one of their big weaknesses is tackling. But honestly, I would not take Delpit or McKinney in the first round. I'd trade down if that's all that's left. But I still think a player or two will drop down to 17 and surprise us. But it won't be Kinlaw unless he soils the sheets at the combine.

Sydla

Reaction score

I like McKinney. More ready to play at SS than Delpit. Delpit definitely has some talent but he's also got some red flags.

Sydla

Reaction score
Depends on what kind of safety your looking for.....Delpit is more of a down in the box type....(personally I think he's over rated/takes bad angles).....not gonna be able to handle the physicality on the next level. But you do see the occasional splash play.

Mckinney is more of your free safety type....better in space...Covers more ground. Seems to have better range....but don't ask him to tackle much....he will shy away from that worse than Delpit.

I think you have that backwards. In most of the scouting guides and comparisons between the two I have read, Delpit is viewed as better deep and McKinney more likely to play better in the box.