You Think Dak Stinks Question

Qcard

Reaction score
I didn't want him gone at first, but now I believe the time to pay him has past. I am not paying Corvette prices for a Chevy Camaro. Maybe that would make me a bad GM, I don't know. And I like Camaros, one of my favorite sports cars. The year to pay him was after 2018, not wait until he's worth the most possible money, and then pay him because you can't imagine a replacement.

We have on the roster right now a bridge quarterback. I'd probably try to trade up in the first round next season for a QB. Who's available will depend on how far. There's a big difference between a rookie contract and what Dak wants. If you're going to pay Dak, you have to be sure he's worth the difference. I don't think so right now. And who knows? Sometimes quarterbacks like Nick Foles can win a Super Bowl.
Bravo!

But I'd say Dak was the Camaro in 2016. By 2019 seasons end Dak became a Corvette.

That is the analogy at this point.

The Cowboys are already paying Corvette $$.

Question now will Dak prove he's a Stingray???

Flamma

Reaction score
When you find the right quarterback- and you have to know what you're looking for- everyone else will pale in comparison.
Dallas didn't know what to look for, and wasted Kellen Moore.
Now they have to find another one.
But, getting rid of Dak is easy once you accept that we have seen his ceiling and it isn't high enough.
He chokes when the pressure is on.
I like Dak and would love for him to be the guy, but he isn't.
Like it or not, the Cowboys are already hunting for another quarterback-whether or not they know it yet.
They had better get some value for him in a trade, but they screwed that up, too.
He should have been tagged with the non-exclusive tag, and maybe another team would have bitten.
Now they have him believing he has done enough to be worth more than he is, and signing him is going to be hard to do- therefore trading is hard to do.
Use him this year and give him the non-exclusive tag, and hope for the best.
But, he's not "the guy".

I agree with you, but I highly doubt the Cowboys can tag him again if they can't come to terms. The price won't be cheaper because it's non exclusive the second time around.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I keep hearing talking heads say we should have signed Dak sooner. Do they understand who the agent is. France wants top dollar nothing less. He wants the franchise tags. Dak was never going to sign the deals the Wentz and Goff signed because the value of the contract would have been less then those guys. Now that he makes 30 million a season, Dak’s value will only go higher. The only way he stays if he fires his agent.

My plan would be to keep Dak on the tag next season and draft his replacement. It does not have to be one of the big 3 college quarterbacks but just someone with a strong arm and a good head on his shoulders. I would trade Dak for the right deal but someone has to give me two first round picks for him. We will have tons of picks to improve our defense. It is not going to be easy but paying a quarterback 40+ million that is not Mahomes is dangerous.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
My plan was to sign Tom Brady (and Gronk) and draft a quarterback to groom. I think that would have brought a Super Bowl to Dallas this year - but we’ll see how Brady does in Tampa.

Now things are more difficult. Obviously he plays here this year, which means one more year to evaluate him, but they’re in a tough spot. If they sign him after a great year, the roster is going to suffer. If he had a mediocre year, with these weapons, they probably don’t want him and options are limited.

To answer your question, it’s looking like Dak this year, free agent placeholder next year (Stafford?) and a draft pick with one year behind him after that - unless DiNucci pulls a Romo.

kskboys

Reaction score
I keep hearing talking heads say we should have signed Dak sooner. Do they understand who the agent is. France wants top dollar nothing less. He wants the franchise tags. Dak was never going to sign the deals the Wentz and Goff signed because the value of the contract would have been less then those guys. Now that he makes 30 million a season, Dak’s value will only go higher. The only way he stays if he fires his agent.

My plan would be to keep Dak on the tag next season and draft his replacement. It does not have to be one of the big 3 college quarterbacks but just someone with a strong arm and a good head on his shoulders. I would trade Dak for the right deal but someone has to give me two first round picks for him. We will have tons of picks to improve our defense. It is not going to be easy but paying a quarterback 40+ million that is not Mahomes is dangerous.
I'm a forward type. I'd simply ask Dak, face to face, whether he wants to be here. I'd then ask him what are the chances that we can come to a reasonable deal. His responses will tell me all I need to know.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
So tell me how you would handle this. How will you jettison Dak? How will you replace him? How about the fact this team has been built and waiting on the perfect drafted guy will take several seasons? How will you reconcile that?

Truthfully not interested in your assessment of Dak. We can assume here if you actually respond to this you want him gone and you have your reasons

Tell me your plan. Vegas might not take action on anyone really having a plan. I think this is merely grousing.

But you are the GM with the team in its current situation.

How and where do you find the QB you think is a winner and how will you fit that guy into the cap.

Step up to the microphone. Let's hear it.

This is a bit of pretending that only your opinion is right, and then trying to play it off as anyone who doesn't agree is dumb. Then you try to prove you're right and the other side is "stupid" by asking them for their plan, when such plans are teh responsibility of a group of experts. And I have mentioned this before, that Dak has put the Cowboys between a rock and a hard place, where on one side he is a valuable asset and it is hard to draft a replacement asset, but on the other side the amount of money he wants will make it increasingly difficult to surround him with talent because of the salary cap. I mean if you expect a plan on how to replace dak, you might as well give a plan on who should be cut to keep him and how you are going to keep him surrounded with talent for the long term. Just because fans are not payed general managers does not mean that they can't have the foresight of seeing that replacing players is no easy task, or that they can't have the foresight to see that overpaying players more than they are worth leads to having a less talented team overall while the talent you overpayed for declines as they get older. expecting other fans to provide you a plan, when you yourself haven't provided a plan on how to stay viable by overpaying, is a by hypocritical.

kskboys

Reaction score
This is a bit of pretending that only your opinion is right, and then trying to play it off as anyone who doesn't agree is dumb. Then you try to prove you're right and the other side is "stupid" by asking them for their plan, when such plans are teh responsibility of a group of experts. And I have mentioned this before, that Dak has put the Cowboys between a rock and a hard place, where on one side he is a valuable asset and it is hard to draft a replacement asset, but on the other side the amount of money he wants will make it increasingly difficult to surround him with talent because of the salary cap. I mean if you expect a plan on how to replace dak, you might as well give a plan on who should be cut to keep him and how you are going to keep him surrounded with talent for the long term. Just because fans are not payed general managers does not mean that they can't have the foresight of seeing that replacing players is no easy task, or that they can't have the foresight to see that overpaying players more than they are worth leads to having a less talented team overall while the talent you overpayed for declines as they get older. expecting other fans to provide you a plan, when you yourself haven't provided a plan on how to stay viable by overpaying, is a by hypocritical.
Although I don't agree w/ all of it, and you could've been a bit nicer, I have to agree w/ what you're saying.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I don't think anyone can say Dak stinks without losing instant credibility. He doesn't and is a pretty good player at worst. I guess where the debate comes in is paying him top 3 money when he hasn't proven he's as good as Wilson or Mahomes. I rank Dak in the 8-10 range and if every top QB was a free agent in the same year he would probably be paid between the 5th to 10th most. It's just hard to quantify contracts signed a few years ago vs position rank today.

For those wanting to replace Dak with a rookie QB its a big gamble as there's been so many busts. Imagine sending away a Top 10 QB in exchange for a bust that can't start in this league?

doomsday9084

Reaction score
OK, I'll be your huckleberry.

I don't hate Dak. There are better starting QB's in the NFL and there are worse. IMO, there is a large group of QB's who are about the same and their output is largely the result of the O-line, running backs and receivers. Coaching is obviously huge too.

The guy I would look at is Tannehill. Terrible situation in Miami. Goes to a good situation in Tennessee and goes to the AFC championship game.

The Cowboys can't get Tannehill but there are always quality vet QB's coming free every year. Dak is due a $37m or so tag next year. Instead of giving it to him, give $10m to some vet QB, draft a QB up high and then spend the extra $27m on the rest of the team. The end result will be better than giving Dak $37m.

I'm going to be easy to disprove btw. IMHO, Dalton is going to look much better in a Cowboys uniform than he did in Cincinnati if we get a chance to see him play. The team is going to get a facefull of it in practice every day. if Dak looks like a much better QB than Dalton, Dallas should probably get ready to back up the brinks truck. If Dak is struggling to separate himself from Dalton, Dallas knows that they can go to free agency and get a nearly equivalent QB for far less.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I have read the posts. I believe them to be unreasonable. But that's me. I am still in a show me state. But I am patient and believe good things are ahead for Dak. But this is not about me.

This is about..........

iu

So tell me how you would handle this. How will you jettison Dak? How will you replace him? How about the fact this team has been built and waiting on the perfect drafted guy will take several seasons? How will you reconcile that?

Truthfully not interested in your assessment of Dak. We can assume here if you actually respond to this you want him gone and you have your reasons

Tell me your plan. Vegas might not take action on anyone really having a plan. I think this is merely grousing.

But you are the GM with the team in its current situation.

How and where do you find the QB you think is a winner and how will you fit that guy into the cap.

Step up to the microphone. Let's hear it.
no he doesnt stink he simply asking for more money above his paygrade.. at 35-40 he stinks you wont get his worth 33-34 hes our guy..its called opinions.. hes a solid starting qb but contract negotiations split fans..

on your scenario we arent replacing his hes ours even on another tag or a LTD deal for 2021 no need rto fret..

if i was backed in a corner and dak wont sign he gets the 2021 Non Exc FT and we seek offers and only take a ridiculous offer, if not its 2 firsts or hes our for what 38 on the tag so thats two years at 69.5 still not outrageous 34.75 per which is what he was offered anyway.. both party's are winning and both party's are losing but we still get dak 2 more seasons at a fair deal and or we get some draft picks, use a journey bridge guy and go use the draft stock to move up and get a QB in 2021..

MM get a first hand look and will make the right decision to advise jerry and Stephen on daks future..

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I don't think anyone can say Dak stinks without losing instant credibility. He doesn't and is a pretty good player at worst. I guess where the debate comes in is paying him top 3 money when he hasn't proven he's as good as Wilson or Mahomes. I rank Dak in the 8-10 range and if every top QB was a free agent in the same year he would probably be paid between the 5th to 10th most. It's just hard to quantify contracts signed a few years ago vs position rank today.

For those wanting to replace Dak with a rookie QB its a big gamble as there's been so many busts. Imagine sending away a Top 10 QB in exchange for a bust that can't start in this league?
This is just dumb fear mongering. Very rarely do high draft QBs come out and completely can’t play. Even recent guys who disappointed like Winston and Mariota were viable starters and have made Pro Bowls and won playoff games. Ryan Leaf like busts don’t exist in today’s game, the QBs are very prepared and the college game is much closer to the pro game than it used to be.
And for the last time, Dak isn’t Michael Jordan and this ain’t the 98 Bulls. We can manage 8-8 fine without Dak. He will be replaced soon and no one will talk about him any more.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Although I don't agree w/ all of it, and you could've been a bit nicer, I have to agree w/ what you're saying.

Well I just see the original post as a bit of a trap to prove a point, when most people on the Zone aren't qualified to provide a plan, since they are fans and not professionals. In the putting together such plans even gives many professionals in the NFL a hard time, considering that you have your share of losing teams in a multi-billion dollar industry. But the OP tries to paint the other side as being obviously wrong, because they won't be able to provide good plans, since well they are fans and not staff of a professional general manager in the NFL. When it comes to debate, you have to be able to pickup on these kind of things and other things like when someone is poisoning the well, using the old straw man and such.

kskboys

Reaction score

It might be even a bigger gamble if we pay him top dollar and he remains at the current level. Very tough situation.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well I just see the original post as a bit of a trap to prove a point, when most people on the Zone aren't qualified to provide a plan, since they are fans and not professionals. In the putting together such plans even gives many professionals in the NFL a hard time, considering that you have your share of losing teams in a multi-billion dollar industry. But the OP tries to paint the other side as being obviously wrong, because they won't be able to provide good plans, since well they are fans and not staff of a professional general manager in the NFL. When it comes to debate, you have to be able to pickup on these kind of things and other things like when someone is poisoning the well, using the old straw man and such.
Sad part is, if he'd removed the snark, it would've been a nice thread.

Flamma

Reaction score

Plus it's too soon for a detailed plan anyway. All anyone can do is give a basic scenario. Like post #69 and several others.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I'm a forward type. I'd simply ask Dak, face to face, whether he wants to be here. I'd then ask him what are the chances that we can come to a reasonable deal. His responses will tell me all I need to know.
We will know next offseason. If he keeps France as his agent, he will not be a Cowboy. I expect Dak to have an MVP type season. If France is still his agent he might ask for more then Mahomes. Top Dollar y’all.

kskboys

Reaction score
OK, I'll be your huckleberry.

I don't hate Dak. There are better starting QB's in the NFL and there are worse. IMO, there is a large group of QB's who are about the same and their output is largely the result of the O-line, running backs and receivers. Coaching is obviously huge too.

The guy I would look at is Tannehill. Terrible situation in Miami. Goes to a good situation in Tennessee and goes to the AFC championship game.

The Cowboys can't get Tannehill but there are always quality vet QB's coming free every year. Dak is due a $37m or so tag next year. Instead of giving it to him, give $10m to some vet QB, draft a QB up high and then spend the extra $27m on the rest of the team. The end result will be better than giving Dak $37m.

I'm going to be easy to disprove btw. IMHO, Dalton is going to look much better in a Cowboys uniform than he did in Cincinnati if we get a chance to see him play. The team is going to get a facefull of it in practice every day. if Dak looks like a much better QB than Dalton, Dallas should probably get ready to back up the brinks truck. If Dak is struggling to separate himself from Dalton, Dallas knows that they can go to free agency and get a nearly equivalent QB for far less.
Fair take.

I believe most of the fanbase feels the same. Yes for 34, no for 38.

erod

Reaction score
Did Jerry offer more than Russell Wilson before the season started?
No, why would he?

Dak doesn't deserve what they offered him.

Now, he can go prove it, which I don't think he will. Probably plays somewhere else next year for far less than what Jerry offered.

But we'll see. Dallas is sitting nice in this.

kskboys

Reaction score
We will know next offseason. If he keeps France as his agent, he will not be a Cowboy. I expect Dak to have an MVP type season. If France is still his agent he might ask for more then Mahomes. Top Dollar y’all.
I'm torn. The one thing lacking from Dak's game is consistency. If he can find that, he's worth a ton.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm torn. The one thing lacking from Dak's game is consistency. If he can find that, he's worth a ton.

I think the better Dak does next season the less chance the Cowboys can keep him. You don't only pay a QB for what they've done, you pay them for what they can do for the team going forward largely based on what they've already done. If you can't keep the team around him, what's the point of paying him? The salary cap is a zero sum game. That's why teams with good QBs on rookie contracts are always going to have an advantage. You better be sure your QB is worth it if you're going to pay up. Some other team may be able to pay him, but I think he's going to price himself off of Dallas.