Young TE's Reply To Jason Witten's progress stopper narrative

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Jason Witten return is 'once-in-a-lifetime' chance for young TEs

It's clear Jason Witten didn't return simply to mentor young talent.

Having climbed down out of the ESPN broadcast booth only one season after retiring from the Dallas Cowboys, the perennial pro bowl tight end is entering his 15th season in the NFL and has arguably never looked hungrier as he gets back to the business of playing football. He's made it clear that despite the team's initial plan to reduce his snap count for 2019, he's hellbent on "making it tough" on head coach Jason Garrett and newly-promoted offensive coordinator Kellen Moore when it comes to manifesting that thought — not conceding a thing to those who are instantly pushed down the depth chart with him back in the mix.

read more:

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...ce-for-Blake-Jarwin-Dalton-Schultz-133365849/

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Just a thought here. There was an opinion of a few that Witten was too self centered and would not mentor the younger guys.

I have to wonder if this puts that notion to rest. Vegas won't take odds on either way. They apparently know this board.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
If the young tight ends learn anything from Witten it should be to adopt his mind set. They too should be hell-bent on making it tough on #82 and the staff when it comes to snap count percentage. In fact everyone at training camp needs to be hell-bent on making it tough for anyone that tries to keep them on the short end of playing time.
Let's Go Cowboys!

plymkr

Reaction score
If the young tight ends learn anything from Witten it should be to adopt his mind set. They too should be hell-bent on making it tough on #82 and the staff when it comes to snap count percentage. In fact everyone at training camp needs to be hell-bent on making it tough for anyone that tries to keep them on the short end of playing time.
Let's Go Cowboys!
Well said

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Jason Witten return is 'once-in-a-lifetime' chance for young TEs

It's clear Jason Witten didn't return simply to mentor young talent.

Having climbed down out of the ESPN broadcast booth only one season after retiring from the Dallas Cowboys, the perennial pro bowl tight end is entering his 15th season in the NFL and has arguably never looked hungrier as he gets back to the business of playing football. He's made it clear that despite the team's initial plan to reduce his snap count for 2019, he's hellbent on "making it tough" on head coach Jason Garrett and newly-promoted offensive coordinator Kellen Moore when it comes to manifesting that thought — not conceding a thing to those who are instantly pushed down the depth chart with him back in the mix.

read more:

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...ce-for-Blake-Jarwin-Dalton-Schultz-133365849/

No Rico in the article.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Decent competition makes everyone better. If you're competing against guys like Rico, it can bring your level down.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Put some respect on Witten's name. Progress stopper? #ChildPlease . When you have a moment half as great as this one then youre allowed to think privately to yourself in a very dark room on a deserted island that JW is stopping your progress......
AngryCompleteBluegill-small.gif

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Once again, I'm grateful to JW for being a great cowboy for many years.
BUT...he left 2 seasons ago because he along with the team knew was too slow to be effective as a NFL te. But even more importantly, he struggled to reach his blocks, as in HE DIDN'T GET THERE. Cut him after TC and rehire him as a coach
Everybody wins.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
“Progress stopper” is a term butthurt fans use when they don’t like a player or when the player at issue is better than one of their pet players. There’s absolutely no downside to having a hungry HOFer back in the roster. No, he’s not what he was 5 years ago, but assuming he can still play at a high level (I have no doubt), he will do nothing but help the team win and help younger TEs expand their knowledge of the game.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We could have the next great TE on the roster that blooms this season but we'll never know as long as a progress stopper is on the roster. Taking snaps away from the other TEs is all JW is accomplishing. Way to go, Wit.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Just a thought here. There was an opinion of a few that Witten was too self centered and would not mentor the younger guys.

I have to wonder if this puts that notion to rest. Vegas won't take odds on either way. They apparently know this board.
what he is doing is a mentoring in fact....he didn't say I am not going to teach them moves, etc....he said he is going to make it hard for coaches with his play. the young ones have to learn, NFL is competitive. its the hungry and dedicated and hard work that gets you there....follow his lead. bust your arses. spend extra time doing the little things. watching film. that's teaching them something. Witten has always been a team player and for the benefit of the team and I am sure he will teach them and other young ones on how to play the game.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We could have the next great TE on the roster that blooms this season but we'll never know as long as a progress stopper is on the roster. Taking snaps away from the other TEs is all JW is accomplishing. Way to go, Wit.
if he is better than them. if he out plays them. then he should get to play. you play to win. and you play the best player. we are not in a rebuilding mode. we are in a win now mode over the next couple of years. they all get to practice during the pre-season and training camp and they will get to play if they can play.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't expect Witten to hold their hands, I do think younger TE can pick his brain as Jarwin mentioned, you can see how Witten conducts his business and dedication he puts into his business. Come reg season all I care about is our TE carrying out their assignment such as blocking and making plays in the passing game. If someone is showing they are better than Jason at getting the job done then great play them but if Witten play is helping this offense then frankly I don't care about snap counts. The object is winning, nothing else matters.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
“Progress stopper” is a term butthurt fans use when they don’t like a player or when the player at issue is better than one of their pet players. There’s absolutely no downside to having a hungry HOFer back in the roster. No, he’s not what he was 5 years ago, but assuming he can still play at a high level (I have no doubt), he will do nothing but help the team win and help younger TEs expand their knowledge of the game.
He hasn't played at a high level for a long time. Cowboys fans have misconstrued usage for effectiveness with Witt for years. He doesn't give us anything we didn't have at TE last year and, in the passing game, is probably a downgrade from Jarwin. We don't need another guy to run 6-yard option routes.