Your blast from the past

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What experience from your past do you miss the most?

When I was a kid growing up in Little Rock, the Friday night cruise was the thing and I couldn't wait to get my license and car, load the car with those of a like mind and take off on the cruise circuit.

The fact that this happened in 1963 with the greatest era of pop music set to explode made it all the better and I was the first of my crew to have a cherry cruiser, 57 Chevy, lavender with a white top, white rolled and pleated leather interior and 4, count them 4, speakers installed. I was living that American Graffiti life, only 6 years later.

It started in downtown Little Rock, along Main Street, but as the city grew west, a couple of other places became cruise points and a cruise point was where you'd stop and basically do nothing, along with all the other kids doing nothing, and buy the least amount that was required to occupy that space. Until you were ready to move on to the next cruise point and do nothing but smoke cigarettes and look cool.

We were always on the lookout for girls that smoked because the word was if they smoked, they did other things. Where that word came from I am not exactly sure but I believe it came from a bunch of horney guys out on a Friday night cruise.

Flash forward to 1993, 30 years later, and we've moved to Boise, Idaho as I take over a couple of struggling radio stations. During my first week there, someone drops the word "cruise" and I perk up. I find out the kids still cruise Main Street, go home and tell my wife and we head out for Main Street on that Friday night.

We found a bar on Main with a table facing the street and settled in for one hell of a magic night of memories and many, many Friday nights after that. We also discovered another Main Street tradition, hot dogs and chorizo, the Spanish kind since Boise has a large Basque population, at 11 or 12 at night when leaving the bars and nothing ever tasted so good. Nothing like getting into your car on Saturday morning after eating a couple of chorizos loaded with onions the night before.

OK, what's your blast from the past and include as many details as you like, this is your memory thread and I'd like to get a mental picture of it.

Last edited:

Hardline

Reaction score
Hanging out at Joe's Garage a heavy metal bar. Ft.worth and Dallas had AMAZING local metal bands back then. Especially PANTERA before they got big.

Cruising Camp Bowie in Ft.worth and Cooper St in Arlington.

Picking up hot chicks at the mall. The more they looked like Kelly Bundy the harder I tried.

Playing high school football on Friday nights.

Going camping with my parents.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I imagine most of my best times are the ones I can't fully remember ;), but ........What the Hell were we talking about again?

Oh yeah, after some consideration, I think camping in the Catskills with my family. We used to go to the various festivals at Hunter Mountain in the Summers, and camp at a nearby lake. Always had a blast.

Last edited:

cowboyec

Reaction score
Ed "too tall" Jones tippin' a phil simms pass that gets intercepted by Jim Jeffcoat who runs it in for a touchdown...helping our 'boys win the east.

(and a fat kid in okc who replicates that over and over and over again....while listen' to his Elvis records.)

cowboyec

Reaction score
greenvale elementary school.
my puffy vest with the Elvis patch.
my rawlings #33 Tony Dorsett jersey and blue spot-bilts.

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
Best couple years of my life were when my mom moved me and my 2 younger brothers up to her hometown of Norfolk, NE from TX. I was 17, One of my cousins got me my 1st job at a Taco Bell that she was a shift manager at. Her and the other shift managers and crew were all friends and hung out outside of work, So work and after work were always a blast. Everybody would always come and help close at the end of the night, even off the clock, taking cokes and food to go. And alot of times at 2 or 3 in the morning we'd all go back to the store for a munchie run, oh the crazy burritos and other concoctions we would make while stoned and/or drunk . Throw in the fact that when I turned 18, I got $10,000 inheritance from my great grandparents and yea, alot of road trips and spending money freely on stupid crap. ALOT of fun and awesome memories though. The main thing that will always stay with me though above everything else, which alot of other fellow Texans who have lived outside of TX can probably relate to, is just how much just simply being from Texas in a state like Nebraska instantly made me almost like a celebrity. Dudes automatically thought I was cool and girls were "curious" about me, to say the least lol......

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I must say I am surprised at the youth on our forum. Not one post yet about hanging at the mall, specifically the game center and getting indoctrinated into what would emerge as a major faction of our culture and population, The Gamers.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Racing bikes at the strip. I had two bikes in two different classes. Lessened to "Highway to the danger zone" before each heat. I had a bike stick full throttle once through the lights. Wow, what a ride through the sand pits. Ah, the past! thanks coach.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I lived on the Outer Banks, on Hatteras Island, about 40 miles out in the Atlantic.

Being able to walk to the beach to go surfing, swimming, fishing, or chillin' whenever I liked was a heckuva way to grow up.

b93c43ad73053c84c07e9c946af9c1df.jpg

JfernandezBertha1_mezESM.jpeg

nobody

Reaction score
I must say I am surprised at the youth on our forum. Not one post yet about hanging at the mall, specifically the game center and getting indoctrinated into what would emerge as a major faction of our culture and population, The Gamers.

I could have said going to the arcade at the mall and playing games with friends, and while that's on the list it's only a small part of the whole. Going out with them at nights in general no matter what we did. Camping with them in High School, playing sports, gaming (I was one of those rare at the time nerd jock crossovers), riding my 80cc motorcycle on dirt trails in Colorado, etc. It's hard to say what I miss most.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If it makes you feel better, I used to hitchhike about 30 miles just about every week, to hang out at the mall and in the arcade, with one of Jersey's street gangs. Their chapter leader was a huge bald guy named Cue Ball. He used to get off on blowing kisses at girls while their boyfriends were looking right at him. When I moved to CT he told me a six-pack and gas money was all I needed to give him if I needed someone taken care of. Lol