Your strangest coach, if you ever had one

Praxit

Reaction score
Ok guys, back in HS I was a junior playing some Varsity football. We had a coach named "Donnie Budweiser" ... I always thought it was comical hearing the name. I would hear through the grapevines he would come to practice plastered, making jokes, allow strange activities to occur and whatnot.

One particular warm day in southern cal. Someone said Donnie crashed his green pinto into a tree on the lower field. We had 2 fields to practice on. A higher and lower. The higher field was near the bleachers, the lower was wider and more opened.

Well, we all run down to the lower field and see this mishap. There was Donnie's car green Pinto crashed into a tree. Donnie was still in the car, giggling and probably wondering what happened. Players started to help him get out. Our main coach yelled, "that's it get back to practice".

In ways I felt sorry for him. ...I never saw Donnie again.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Ok guys, back in HS I was a junior playing some Varsity football. We had a coach named "Donnie Budweiser" ... I always thought it was comical hearing the name. I would hear through the grapevines he would come to practice plastered, making jokes, allow strange activities to occur and whatnot.

One particular warm day in southern cal. Someone said Donnie crashed his green pinto into a tree on the lower field. We had 2 fields to practice on. A higher and lower. The higher field was near the bleachers, the lower was wider and more opened.

Well, we all run down to the lower field and see this mishap. There was Donnie's car green Pinto crashed into a tree. Donnie was still in the car, giggling and probably wondering what happened. Players started to help him get out. Our main coach yelled, "that's it get back to practice".

In ways I felt sorry for him. ...I never saw Donnie again.

Just the name and driving a green Ford Pinto is pretty funny. Not a coach but one of my first jobs was sacking groceries, the managers name was Jack Daniels.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Too many of those, to be honest. I'll tell you the worst one as far as how bad I felt about it thou. Once had an assistant coach who got caught with a Cheerleader in the parking lot. Lots of students were there when they got caught so you can imagine the scene right? Stupid all the way around and he was definitely wrong. Looking back, I was probably 16 and I know that she was about the same. He was probably 20 or 21 because I remember him when I was a Freshman. Either way, he got fired and I don't know what else and she, well, she got it bad. Ended up moving out of state I believe. That was a bad deal for her, for sure. Stupid, stupid, stupid.........

csirl

Reaction score
A coach/P.E. teacher in my high school was exactly like the coach in Beavis & Butthead.

Have come across a few strange football coaches in my time (thankfully most I know are good dedicated people). Can think of one on a regular opponents team who dressed in the strangest clothes you could imagine - bright clashing colours, what looked like MC hammer style parachute pants - looked like a clown.

Another I knew had a house full of hamsters - they were everywhere on every surface including rows of cages on the kitchen worktops.

Praxit

Reaction score
Too many of those, to be honest. I'll tell you the worst one as far as how bad I felt about it thou. Once had an assistant coach who got caught with a Cheerleader in the parking lot. Lots of students were there when they got caught so you can imagine the scene right? Stupid all the way around and he was definitely wrong. Looking back, I was probably 16 and I know that she was about the same. He was probably 20 or 21 because I remember him when I was a Freshman. Either way, he got fired and I don't know what else and she, well, she got it bad. Ended up moving out of state I believe. That was a bad deal for her, for sure. Stupid, stupid, stupid.........
...hahaha... thats sounds like something out of American Pie.. That coach was way .....to young to be a coach. He was still thinking with his pants.. ;)..

Praxit

Reaction score
A coach/P.E. teacher in my high school was exactly like the coach in Beavis & Butthead.

Have come across a few strange football coaches in my time (thankfully most I know are good dedicated people). Can think of one on a regular opponents team who dressed in the strangest clothes you could imagine - bright clashing colours, what looked like MC hammer style parachute pants - looked like a clown.

Another I knew had a house full of hamsters - they were everywhere on every surface including rows of cages on the kitchen worktops.
..ahh,, but you got to luve those days and for the memories.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

LOL..... That's Funny. I went to HS with Mike Judge and he actually based the school, that coach after my HS Football Coach, Coach Gentry. The actual school they depict in that show is my HS. So yeah, I guess I did too!

LOL......

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
...hahaha... thats sounds like something out of American Pie.. That coach was way .....to young to be a coach. He was still thinking with his pants.. ;)..

Oh yeah. In those days, what would happen is that you would get former players to come in and work really cheap and have a great knowledge of the scheme and system. So yeah, way to young but that's how it was done for years. If those guys did well, they moved on to other coaching jobs and that's how it worked. Gotta figure that the HC I had, at the time, had been the first and only Football Coach at my HS. So it was a lot different then, you didn't have to go get a degree. You just had to have put in the sweat and tears on the field in a lot of cases.

nobody

Reaction score
I had a football coach once that always threatened "That's not a promise, it's a threat." Nobody took it seriously...ever.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coaches would generally get in your face much more than now back in the day. My seventh grade head football coach was all fire and brimstone. He also loved chewing tobacco. His tirades were spit showers. I had my share of coaches who were drill sergeants but that guy would not only tear you a new one for making a dumb decision during practice or a game. He would make you physically ill doing so.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
My high school coach had this weird thing about wanting us to always yell when we made a tackle. You could make a great play during a game and he'd be in your face saying he didn't hear you yell on that one. When I first joined the team, he had us doing the Oklahoma drill with a ball carrier and I made a clean tackle. Here comes coach screaming, "you need to yell boy, do it again!" So we line up and do it again and I yell. Nope, not loud enough, do it again. He did this over and over. I don't know remember how many times in a row we ran it but on the last one, I let out a guttural scream as I drove that poor kid into the ground. That made coach happy.

Praxit

Reaction score
My high school coach had this weird thing about wanting us to always yell when we made a tackle. You could make a great play during a game and he'd be in your face saying he didn't hear you yell on that one. When I first joined the team, he had us doing the Oklahoma drill with a ball carrier and I made a clean tackle. Here comes coach screaming, "you need to yell boy, do it again!" So we line up and do it again and I yell. Nope, not loud enough, do it again. He did this over and over. I don't know remember how many times in a row we ran it but on the last one, I let out a guttural scream as I drove that poor kid into the ground. That made coach happy.

.....at least you can say, your coach had passion for the game. ;).. Sometimes having coaches like that makes the difference, I think. They care, so you care.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
.....at least you can say, your coach had passion for the game. ;).. Sometimes having coaches like that makes the difference, I think. They care, so you care.
He wasn't a bad coach and I actually kinda felt bad for him because he was stuck with a bad team. This was back in the day in Texas when they implemented the "No pass no play" rule. If you failed a class, you weren't allowed to be on any of the athletic teams. That took away a lot of our best players and I swear we were the only school that wasn't passing the star players no matter what. We lost our QB, star running back and several good players on D.

I was a good but not great player and I'll never forget the game against the best team in the district that we lost 60 something to 0. Their running back went on to be an All-American LB at Florida State and was like 6'3, 230 pounds. I was the Strong Safety and me and the other safety met him in the hole at the same time. He promptly ran over both of us and actually stepped on my facemask, propelling himself forward on his way to an 80-yard touchdown run. I get to the sideline and coach asks what happened. I said, "I guess I didn't yell loud enough."

Praxit

Reaction score
He wasn't a bad coach and I actually kinda felt bad for him because he was stuck with a bad team. This was back in the day in Texas when they implemented the "No pass no play" rule. If you failed a class, you weren't allowed to be on any of the athletic teams. That took away a lot of our best players and I swear we were the only school that wasn't passing the star players no matter what. We lost our QB, star running back and several good players on D.

I was a good but not great player and I'll never forget the game against the best team in the district that we lost 60 something to 0. Their running back went on to be an All-American LB at Florida State and was like 6'3, 230 pounds. I was the Strong Safety and me and the other safety met him in the hole at the same time. He promptly ran over both of us and actually stepped on my facemask, propelling himself forward on his way to an 80-yard touchdown run. I get to the sideline and coach asks what happened. I said, "I guess I didn't yell loud enough."
.....interesting, cool story. You know the "no pass, dont play" thing, existed in my school as well. Ours was more like, if you want to play you must attain at least "C" no matter what. As for that RB, that player was huge..lol.. That's like a linebacker running with the ball. ;)..
I got lucky and played with Terry Rodgers for a year. His dad (Johnny Rodgers) won the Heisman back in the 70's. That SOB was >>>>fast>>> wasn't big, but fricken fast. Got drafted by Nebraska. Never made the big time.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I averaged about 120 yards rushing per game
The next year, we got a new coach and made me at CB/FS and put a slug at RB because “white guys dont play running back anymore”. Plus, the guys older brother was a good RB so he thought it might be in the genes
:lmao:
True story

Loved defense anyway,but man,thatwas so weird and surreal.
Was way faster and explosive (ran anchor on our otherwise black track team too) than the guy that replaced me and we had the same size

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
.....interesting, cool story. You know the "no pass, dont play" thing, existed in my school as well. Ours was more like, if you want to play you must attain at least "C" no matter what. As for that RB, that player was huge..lol.. That's like a linebacker running with the ball. ;)..
I got lucky and played with Terry Rodgers for a year. His dad (Johnny Rodgers) won the Heisman back in the 70's. That SOB was >>>>fast>>> wasn't big, but fricken fast. Got drafted by Nebraska. Never made the big time.
The guy I got ran over by was Kenneth Alexander. I remember him being big and muscular in elementary school. I just googled him and he was 6'4 and almost 250 once he was starting at MLB for Florida State. He was actually an academic all-American who went on to get his law degree. Even more interesting is he is getting sentenced to prison on the 19th of this month for tax fraud charges.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/n...-plea-deal-federal-tax-fraud-case/3537912002/

Praxit

Reaction score
I had a HS baseball coach moonlight as a male exotic dancer at LaBares in Houston. It was pretty awkward when my mom told me she met him on a ladies night out :lmao2:
yeah, talk about playing with yer mind a little there. Knowing me, I would have found myself avoiding the coach...hahaha...