Zeke 1st in 2018, runs of 15+ yards

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Ehhh, not really. Not when Zeke was facing 8 and 9 men boxes faithfully and led the league in 15 yard runs consistently. Our O-line was never as good as the mediots stated. Hence Conner McGovern.

To dismiss Zeke and what he adds to our win totals and offense as a whole the last 3 years is fool hearted to say the least.

We are not the Saints or Chiefs offense. Our bread and butter starts with the run. Now that may change some with our new OC, but do not dismiss Zeke as run of the mill in this offense.
Nobody is saying Zeke is run of the mill but his position just won't get paid over a QB or WR. If he is looking to be the highest paid ever then he will get the Bell treatment. Much easier to replace a running back than almost any other position. Seattle led the league in rushing with a collection of backs.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Nobody is saying Zeke is run of the mill but his position just won't get paid over a QB or WR. If he is looking to be the highest paid ever then he will get the Bell treatment. Much easier to replace a running back than almost any other position. Seattle led the league in rushing with a collection of backs.
Never heard Zeke wanted to be paid more than a QB or WR. But he could set the new RB market for doing what he’s doing.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Ehhh, not really. Not when Zeke was facing 8 and 9 men boxes faithfully and led the league in 15 yard runs consistently. Our O-line was never as good as the mediots stated. Hence Conner McGovern.

To dismiss Zeke and what he adds to our win totals and offense as a whole the last 3 years is fool hearted to say the least.

We are not the Saints or Chiefs offense. Our bread and butter starts with the run. Now that may change some with our new OC, but do not dismiss Zeke as run of the mill in this offense.

The 8-9 man boxes have been exaggerated here - Zeke isn't facing these much more than most RBs in the league. And even still, Barkley was behind a terrible O-line with a terrible QB with defenses focusing on him - yet, he topped Zeke in total yards and TDs.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The NFC is so loaded w/ top end RBs

Total yards from scrimmage for NFL RBs:

1. Barkley--2028
  2. Elliott--2001 (leading rusher)
  3. McCaffery--1965
  4. Gurley--1831
  5. Kamara--1592

All of the top 5 are in the NFC
Elliot is by far #1

ShortRound

Reaction score
Zeke has been one of the best draft choices in years. The drafting of 2 RB’s in this years draft shows the Cowboys are all in on Zeke. Hopefully one or both of them will be able to spell him more than his previous 3 yrs. Great post!

I hope Zeke has a dominant performance this year. I want him to be the clear leader among RB's.

pansophy

Reaction score
I care about runs being taken to the house - there is a reason PFF had Zeke ranked so low. 6 TDs on 300+ carries is bad, only having a high of 40 yard run isn't great either.

This is why a speed back is needed - Zeke doesn't have that burst to break the outside or take it the distance much. Hopefully one of the RBs we brought in can do that.
Yeah, Barkley had the most carries over 20+ yards with 16, and Zeke only had 11 on 43 more carries. Zeke was tied for 17th on YPC at 4.7. This meme cherry picked a nice stat for Zeke...

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Seattle led the league with 33 carries per game (2nd in the league) and a borderline elite QB to keep defenses honest.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
He's good at moving the chains. I think we'll miss that component of him. He really churns 7 or 8 yards the hard way, and it feels like he has an advantage over other RBs doing that. Something about the lower body strength he generates... that I see often.

I think outside of his chain-moving abilities, his other aspects aren't in a league by itself. Top 5 running back for sure though. His chain-moving abilities are a HUGE asset even if it's just one asset.

Still, I'm not attached to him like some people are here. Don't take as much credibility into his stats (or stats in general) as some do.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
So the breakaway runs they are listing is a volume stat, which obviously is going to be biased towards the league's most heavily used runner. But we can make it into a rate stat, and Zeke actually does very well there.

This picture was posted to another football group I'm on. This counts 15+ yard breakaways including the postseason, so we can just take every back and divide by their regular season + postseason carries to get a runs-per-breakaway figure.

55744370_10155871449141262_562497405602234368_n.jpg

Zeke : 350 carries and 28 breakaways. 1 in 12.5.
Joe Mixon: 237 runs and 23 breakaways. 1 in 10.3.
Saquon: 261 runs and 20 breakaways. 1 in 13.0.
Gurley: 286 runs and 20 breakaways. 1 in 14.3.
Carson: 260 runs and 17 breakaways. 1 in 15.3.

So Zeke breaks away for big gains at a higher rate than almost any other feature back in football (guys like McCaffrey and Kamara didn't even make the list), while still having league-leading volume and breaking off more total big plays. He's the whole package, folks.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Never heard Zeke wanted to be paid more than a QB or WR. But he could set the new RB market for doing what he’s doing.
Thats not what i meant. Should have said before QB and WR.

I'm all for resigning Zeke but after Dak and Cooper are signed and possibly after Byron Jones. I would resign Jaylon Smith as well before Zeke.

morat1959

Reaction score
I care about runs being taken to the house - there is a reason PFF had Zeke ranked so low. 6 TDs on 300+ carries is bad, only having a high of 40 yard run isn't great either.

This is why a speed back is needed - Zeke doesn't have that burst to break the outside or take it the distance much. Hopefully one of the RBs we brought in can do that.
It would a lot if we had a QB to take some pressure off of him.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I highly doubt Elliott signs a contract anywhere else but Dallas. I get some fans think a RB is a RB, but Elliott is elite. He keeps picking up yards. I wouldn't suggest his low TD number last season to be a concern. It totally ignores how he helped get us in position for someone to get a TD.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I hope Zeke has a dominant performance this year. I want him to be the clear leader among RB's.
why does he have to be the clear leader, most generations have more then one great positional player, usually 3-5 elite QBs, RBs, and a few other postions..

I mean was Emmitt the Clear Leader or Was Barry and Thurman pretty darn good with few others mixed in its no different then now.. they all have special unique traits and different running styles.. Emmitt may have ended up on top, BUT Clear leader during his time, thats debatable as it will be with the new Backs here with Zeke..

drawandstrike

Reaction score

And remember, for much of the year that was Elliott running behind a patchwork Offensive Line featuring guys like Sua Filo and Looney.

This season we are expected to have Frederick back at full strength at C, and we added multi-position depth with McGovern. And I expect to see the backups churned really good this training camp, there could be a surprise or two FA that can contribute this season and get some snaps.