News: Zeke admits other RBs are playing better

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
People are hilarious.

Nobody is claiming Zeke is trash, at least I’m certainly not.

What I do have an issue with is the fact we’re paying top dollar for a glorified power back. Personally, if I’m spending that cheddar, I want a dynamic back that has the ability to flip the field or take it to the house.

Zeke has one (1) run this season over 20 yards. His longest run dating back to parts of three seasons (i.e. 2017) is 41 yards.

He’s averaging a respectable 4.7 YPC, but what that tells you in part is that the line is helping open holes for him near the LOS, but he’s not making guys miss on the second-level to break the long one off.

The notion that he’s facing stacked defenses in the box more than anyone is flat-out bunk...a myth.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Zeke comments basically confirm what many of us have been saying about Zeke. That he doesn't look right and has appeared to lose some speed and suffers from an inability to make open tackle moves. Even Zeke himself agrees.

The other debate is whether he is worth 15 million.

The Zeke cry babies don't like to hear the reality of it.

Zeke just confirmed reality.
The money is paid already. What are you crying about? Lets say you're right (you're actually not) about his worth. Ok?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I wish zeke was in gurley situation lol. Then yall would really be crying. Ungrateful and acting like money is coming out of your pockets.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
His ability to make guys miss on the second level is gone. Hence the scarce plays where he runs 15mph. Those are on long break away plays - he has non.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I still think Zeke is a quality RB, in his rookie debut it seemed like we had found ourselves a SPORT TRUCK and that felt really special. He has not shown that same kind of attack/burst from the line.

When was the last time you saw him try and hurdle a tackler? I’ve seen plenty of low grabs...

Just sayin’...
;)
I like trucks.....I drive a Corvette, but i use my truck when i want to get things done. He moves the chains and keeps our defense off the field, i can live with that. I never saw Emmit hurdle players....

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Barkley finished as the 2nd leading rusher in the entire NFL last year in just his rookie year ..and second to only Zeke in the NFL.
He's not a straight line guy and he's not a finesse guy, but he is also one of the most difficult RBs to have to corral and tackle one on one as you see defenders just sliding off him like grease
a good number of times.
With his success depends upon the development of their OL and the creativity of their offensive coaches, in how to properly use him.
I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be in the mention as a top rushing guy among the entire NFL

If the discussion was "among" the best, then perhaps. But that was not the discussion. The post says:

"Cook is the best RB in the NFL, Barkley would probably be the guy if he were healthy."

You can't be the best by breaking a big run for 50 yards but having 19 other carries for 3 YPC. That's the same guy he was last year, as well, when he was 2nd in the League. Can't sustain drives that way, which means that he can't be the focal point of the Offense. That's the problem with Barkley and that's why he can't be the best in the NFL, until he changes that IMO.

The Natural

Reaction score
the next CBA contract. this is unfailr to fans, future players and teams. Players are getting paid and than tanking the next year.
Tanking? He’ll be top 5 in rushing yards this time next week. And dont give me that unfair to fans mumbo jumbo, is it unfair to fans when guys are cut or do you use that fans garbage only when it suits your argument.

quickccc

Reaction score
If the discussion was "among" the best, then perhaps. But that was not the discussion. The post says:

"Cook is the best RB in the NFL, Barkley would probably be the guy if he were healthy."

You can't be the best by breaking a big run for 50 yards but having 19 other carries for 3 YPC. That's the same guy he was last year, as well, when he was 2nd in the League. Can't sustain drives that way, which means that he can't be the focal point of the Offense. That's the problem with Barkley and that's why he can't be the best in the NFL, until he changes that IMO.

i believe it depends upon what kind of offense you're trying to establish and implement to best suit the type talent - you cater to the skills of the guy you believe in that made you draft him No. 2 overall.
You play to his strengths, not try to square peg him into a round hole. What if we spent and wasted much time with trying to make Emmitt an outside sweep runner instead of designing the
offense to his biggest strengths and what he does best ?

You don't play him like Jerome Bettis and grind him down him like that. He's more of a thoughbred Thurman Thomas, Marshall faulk, type that is more speed oriented than a pure ball control power grinder, why would you misuse and under uitlize his talents like that ? and the bottom line is,.. he's still giving you 100 yrd games and still putting himself in the mix for the NFL rushing titles - despite his run big/tackle for loss style.
and again Barkley finished No. 2 overall in rushing by breaking those 50 yd runs while also getting tackled for losses here and there.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
i believe it depends upon what kind of offense you're trying to establish and implement to best suit the type talent - you cater to the skills of the guy you believe in that made you draft him No. 2 overall.
You play to his strengths, not try to square peg him into a round hole. What if we spent and wasted much time with trying to make Emmitt an outside sweep runner instead of designing the
offense to his biggest strengths and what he does best ?

You don't play him like Jerome Bettis and grind him down him like that. He's more of a thoughbred Thurman Thomas, Marshall faulk, type that is more speed oriented than a pure ball control power grinder, why would you misuse and under uitlize his talents like that ? and the bottom line is,.. he's still giving you 100 yrd games and still putting himself in the mix for the NFL rushing titles - despite his run big/tackle for loss style.
and again Barkley finished No. 2 overall in rushing by breaking those 50 yd runs while also getting tackled for losses here and there.

If that's your opinion, that's fine. I don't agree. The best back in Football is the one who makes me game plan for him. The one that makes you change what you do is the best back to me. I don't change what I do to stop Barkley at this point. I accept the one big play he might break and go ahead and continue to wear them down with Zeke. Let them get tired and go over the top on them.

Thomas and Faulk, well, Faulk was not the focal point of that Offense. Giants would have to go out and get a lot of offensive fire power at all the skilled positions and also build their OL quickly, in order to look at Barkley like you look at Faulk but more to the point, Faulk was not a one run, home run kinda back. Faulk ran the ball. His last three years with the Rams, he ran for over 1300 yards each season and averaged over 5 yards a carry. That's not Barkley at this point. He has way too many negative plays.

As for Thomas, not the same back as Barkley, IMO. Thomas didn't lose you a lot of yards either. That's the thing about Barkley. He creates a lot of negative situations for you Offense because he will lose yards for you. I don't think you have to look at Barkley like a Thomas or a Faulk because at this point, he isn't as good a RB as either one of those guys IMO.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Those Next Gen stats are cool.

Is he slower before the line cause he's trying to wait and see for the hole, or does he lack the "elite" burst/acceleration or whatever you want to call it?
And I also wonder if being met in the backfield so often has an effect on those stats, or they're only counting the plays in which the RB is untouched before the LoS.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Compared to his rookie season, Zeke looks like he's lacking burst and a second gear in the hole...I don't know if he has an injury to his lower body but he doesn't look like the same back to me..
Zeke has lacked burst compared to his rookie season every year but his rookie season.

If he was no playing behind an elite run blocking line can you imagine how awful he'd look?

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Next Gen can have those miles per hour fantasy numbers ...even a scat back can have those MPH numbers

what i'm interested and anxious to see if Zeke gets back to the big chunk 20 yrd and occasional 40 to 60 yd TD bursts he was putting on display in his first two-three years in the NFL.
When teams were frighten on their toes about him popping the big one for a homerun TD.

it's only my guesswork (and paranoia) but I really do wonder if the coaching staff trying to change zeke's style and frame into more of a grind-pounder to sacrifice the breakaway burst he
used to have and displayed.
And I've heard a Garrett press conferences where reporters are starting to bring that up (zeke's splash plays) to Garrett for responding answers.
They literally have a minimum rush limit to qualify for these stats...

quickccc

Reaction score
If that's your opinion, that's fine. I don't agree. The best back in Football is the one who makes me game plan for him. The one that makes you change what you do is the best back to me. I don't change what I do to stop Barkley at this point. I accept the one big play he might break and go ahead and continue to wear them down with Zeke. Let them get tired and go over the top on them.

Thomas and Faulk, well, Faulk was not the focal point of that Offense. Giants would have to go out and get a lot of offensive fire power at all the skilled positions and also build their OL quickly, in order to look at Barkley like you look at Faulk but more to the point, Faulk was not a one run, home run kinda back. Faulk ran the ball. His last three years with the Rams, he ran for over 1300 yards each season and averaged over 5 yards a carry. That's not Barkley at this point. He has way too many negative plays.

huh ? what do you think Barkely did .. play hotch scotch and skip ? LOL, .. You don't finished 2nd in the entire NFL if you're not running the ball.
and Barkley is the kind of special back you do indeed game plan for. You don't come with the idea let him come to a single tackler. I've already heard vids of how Jaylon describe the priority
of "swarming" several players around Sashon , maintain your lanes and don't overcommit and over pursue your lanes too quickly.

As for Thomas, not the same back as Barkley, IMO. Thomas didn't lose you a lot of yards either. That's the thing about Barkley. He creates a lot of negative situations for you Offense because he will lose yards for you. I don't think you have to look at Barkley like a Thomas or a Faulk because at this point, he isn't as good a RB as either one of those guys IMO.

i dont think you get what I mean by " thoroughbreds " is with speed oriented guys, they are suited for splash and big play runs, ...you don't use them to 30+ carry grind and pound, ball control workhouse.
That's why I brought up Faulk and Thurman as those kind of splash backs.
Barkley's start- stop-restart style has been compared to Barry Sanders who was also a thoroughbred.
What i'm getting the impression from your comments, is that the bottom line is that you just don't like Barkley's style of running and what kind of back he is .