Zeke Dispels RB Myth Again

Flamma

Reaction score
Two huge factors helped us win this game:

1)Zeke's ability to break an inside run outside and make the edge. That was an incredible run.

2)Zeke's ability to come up to the LOS w/ nothing there, and still get 2-6 yards. He did this all game and it was a monster reason why we won.

And no, absolutely no, not just any RB could have done this.

And this is why I reject all those that say any good RB will do. In many ways that's true. But know that you're sacrificing the "great" factor. Demarco Murray, as good as he was, was not taking that screen pass to the house against the Steelers in 2016. Zeke gives you that extra in results. It may not be necessary for a successful team, but I think it's worth having if you can find that guy. I'm not saying this because I'm a Cowboys fan, but people will believe I'm saying it because I'm some dopey homer, but I believe Zeke and Barkley are the best RBs in the league and by a good margin. At first I did not like that pick of Zeke. I thought it was horrible and immediately didn't like the dude. Then early on his performance supported my thinking. A wasted 4th overall on your typical good RB. Since then he has completely changed my opinion. Same goes for Barkley. I was like, yeah, show me. Now I believe. The dude is a beast.

cnuball21

Reaction score
And this is why I reject all those that say any good RB will do. In many ways that's true. But know that you're sacrificing the "great" factor. Demarco Murray, as good as he was, was not taking that screen pass to the house against the Steelers in 2016. Zeke gives you that extra in results. It may not be necessary for a successful team, but I think it's worth having if you can find that guy. I'm not saying this because I'm a Cowboys fan, but people will believe I'm saying it because I'm some dopey homer, but I believe Zeke and Barkley are the best RBs in the league and by a good margin. At first I did not like that pick of Zeke. I thought it was horrible and immediately didn't like the dude. Then early on his performance supported my thinking. A wasted 4th overall on your typical good RB. Since then he has completely changed my opinion. Same goes for Barkley. I was like, yeah, show me. Now I believe. The dude is a beast.

I don’t think how good Zeke is in question...I think one of the big questions is if you extend him to a very large deal at the expense of extending other players.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don’t think how good Zeke is in question...I think one of the big questions is if you extend him to a very large deal at the expense of extending other players.

At this time next year he'll be 24. Pick up the 5th year option and he's 25. He'll be an UFA when he's 26. At this point I'm not sure I'd break the bank to pay a RB with a few years left.

kskboys

Reaction score
At this time next year he'll be 24. Pick up the 5th year option and he's 25. He'll be an UFA when he's 26. At this point I'm not sure I'd break the bank to pay a RB with a few years left.
While I'd love to keep him, I also do not want to see us overpay him. Of course, if we'd have taken Ramsey, I'd feel exactly the same way.

If he keeps this up, I might even franchise him for a year or two.

cnuball21

Reaction score
While I'd love to keep him, I also do not want to see us overpay him. Of course, if we'd have taken Ramsey, I'd feel exactly the same way.

If he keeps this up, I might even franchise him for a year or two.

And I agree with that...

The counter argument for an elite DB, is that unlike a RB like Zeke, they don’t take a beating and can play great football into their early 30s.

K - you know I’m all about the trenches, and I believe you win controlling the LOS on both sides - but I also believe there is a very fair argument when you evaluate the shelf life of positions. How long can a certain position be great based on wear and tear?

I think this why you see teams overpay and spend premium picks on WRs and CBs. When picking in the top 15/20, does it make more sense to draft a position you can get 10 years of great play out of or 6/7ish?

kskboys

Reaction score
And I agree with that...

The counter argument for an elite DB, is that unlike a RB like Zeke, they don’t take a beating and can play great football into their early 30s.

K - you know I’m all about the trenches, and I believe you win controlling the LOS on both sides - but I also believe there is a very fair argument when you evaluate the shelf life of positions. How long can a certain position be great based on wear and tear?

I think this why you see teams overpay and spend premium picks on WRs and CBs. When picking in the top 15/20, does it make more sense to draft a position you can get 10 years of great play out of or 6/7ish?
CB's don't last 10 years. Most are done around 6-8 years. Might last a year or so longer than RB's, but not much.

Since careers are often short lived, I believe the emphasis should be on getting a super bowl team together. In today's NFL, many players don't stay w/ their first team anyway.

If you want career longevity, go get you some OL's, TE's, and DL's. If your focus is winning a super bowl, take whatever positions will get you there.

Daktozekecoop

Reaction score
Zeke is basically our entire offense
Well obviously that is not true, since pre Cooper we were 3 and 4 and now post Cooper we are 8 and 2. I'm thinking it is a team game and not replacing Dez was a huge mistake. Players complement each other in exponential ways. So that the addition of Cooper has completed what is now the most balanced team, and best team in the NFL.

cnuball21

Reaction score
CB's don't last 10 years. Most are done around 6-8 years. Might last a year or so longer than RB's, but not much.

Since careers are often short lived, I believe the emphasis should be on getting a super bowl team together. In today's NFL, many players don't stay w/ their first team anyway.

If you want career longevity, go get you some OL's, TE's, and DL's. If your focus is winning a super bowl, take whatever positions will get you there.

Agree to disagree.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well obviously that is not true, since pre Cooper we were 3 and 4 and now post Cooper we are 8 and 2. I'm thinking it is a team game and not replacing Dez was a huge mistake. Players complement each other in exponential ways. So that the addition of Cooper has completed what is now the most balanced team, and best team in the NFL.

DAK W/ 3800 yards
Zeke with 2000

Cooper 9 games 725 yards
Zeke last 9 games including the giants game he didn't play 1207 yards

Adding Cooper was huge and it did balance things out but the key to our offense has always been Zeke. We need both to continue to have good games vs the Rams like we did when we stomped the sea pigeons.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not really a mistake. We tried, but there was no one available.

Or, let me change that. The mistake was waiting til the last minute. Since we were going to cut Dez, should've been looking ahead back in the 17 draft.

cern

Reaction score
same could be said of any great player. how many do as much for their team as does zeke?? the salary cap reality sucks. but the reality of needing zeke cannot be denies.

kskboys

Reaction score
same could be said of any great player. how many do as much for their team as does zeke?? the salary cap reality sucks. but the reality of needing zeke cannot be denies.
Seachickens have not been close to the same since Marshawn left. Flacco has not been close to the same w/o Rice.

The difference: Football is not this game where there are dozens of constants you can count on. The life of an NFL QB is in constant flux. Just when a QB thinks he has it figured out: Blitz packages, route jumping, dropped balls, bad routes, blocking letdowns, tipped passes, and more!!!

So, what does a tough yards RB do? He's a constant in a sea of roiling chaos. He can beat the blitz w/ a charging run. He makes a positive out of a negative.

Even a knucklehead like Blount, who isn't much of a blocker and doesn't do much else. It's really not an accident that the super bowl winner just seems to have a guy like him. Blount was an Eagle and a Pat for super bowl wins. Because he provides the one thing that really really helps a team on a super bowl run. He provides that positive yardage, that stability amidst chaos, that toughness that the other team doesn't like to face.

And in EZ, we get that toughness, and in addition we get that HR ability. And that's simply almost impossible to replace.

ghst187

Reaction score
Two huge factors helped us win this game:

1)Zeke's ability to break an inside run outside and make the edge. That was an incredible run.

2)Zeke's ability to come up to the LOS w/ nothing there, and still get 2-6 yards. He did this all game and it was a monster reason why we won.

And no, absolutely no, not just any RB could have done this.

You think drafting Jalen Ramsey would have us in the second round of the playoffs this year while we run another lesser RB?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
So many comments in the Chiefs game by the commentators about losing Hunt having zero impact with a guy off the streets(Williams) taking over. Lol

kskboys

Reaction score
You think drafting Jalen Ramsey would have us in the second round of the playoffs this year while we run another lesser RB?
No, absolutely not. Not unless we could get lucky and get one of those tough yds guys.