Twitter: Zeke fined for violating helmet rule

cowboyec

Reaction score
goodell sucks.
Zeke...take it out on indy tomorrow.
we're gonna win the whole thing and goodell can live with that the whole off-season...I'll send him the shirt.
:starspin:Cowboys Against The World:starspin:

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
This line is what grates me the most. Officiating has become more subjective than objective. That is why we are getting so many inconsistent calls in almost every game. The most irritating ones are the ones that happen at impromptu times like "make up calls" or missed calls.

I love football like many of you but this over-officiating ref ball has to stop.

Zeke will be fine (no pun intended). I would not surprised though if there was somehow a rule made against yet another Cowboy (Irvin, Roy Williams, Witten, Emmitt rules). I guess, Zeke should have fallen up instead of down. :rolleyes:

Because its fixed. They don't want Dallas to win or be successful. Those fouls called on the Cowboys are ticky-tack fouls as well.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
They have to have a rule like this because of their legal liability in the concussion lawsuits. But on that play, both players lead with their helmets and the other Eagles defender was pushing Zeke into the play. IMO it should have been offsetting penalties if you have the rule on the books.

There should have been no penalties. Offsetting means both players did something they shouldn't have and now you get into a discussion about who initiated more than the other. Lowering your head as a defender and absorbing the hit versus lowering your head as a ball carrier and delivering the hit. Of the two, which one more closely matches the wording of the rule? Who initiated?

Majority of the time in the NFL, only one side is flagged. Even with scraps or punches thrown, offsetting is pretty rare unless things really get out of hand. Usually involves 2 separate and unrelated infractions. Why would anyone expect this to be any different? Subjectivity is basically a staple of NFL officiating. In this case, one guy clearly initiated more than the other. If you're going to acknowledge the rule, do so appropriately. Zeke initiated more than the defender.

That said, it should have been nothing. This wasn't like Murray when he decleated a DL with his helmet against the Eagles.

That's what the rule should be reserved for. Offsetting does nothing to change player behavior. If you are going to have a rule in place, it must be enforced in a manner than yields results. Mulligans won't. I think the rule sucks entirely, and it shouldn't have ever been implemented. I can't see how anyone can acknowledge it exists without paying attention to the subjectivity that exists in all other penalties. Subjectivity is the problem in the NFL. There is no standard. Next week, this exact play will likely go unpenalized.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
J85sdzC.jpg

Kaiser

Reaction score
Subjectivity is the problem in the NFL. There is no standard. Next week, this exact play will likely go unpenalized.

Completely agree with this part but the reason I say offsetting is that both players did it. If you don't call it on either one, there is no punishment. The punishment (kinda, sorta) is the league fines like the one Zeke just got. If both players did it, you call it on both IMO and this ends up as a rare play where both players committed the same penalty on each other.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
NFL has to be the only league that extorts so much money from their players with fines. So many ridiculous amounts.

JayFord

Reaction score
ill give someone a shiny nickle is they can show me how to lower your center of gravity but keep your head at the same height as when your standing

You lower yourself to brace for impact this rule is stupid

HanD

Reaction score
As much as he gets fed, he needs to learn to go out of bounds there .the extra 2 yards when you already have the first down isn't worth it .save wear and tear and the body .