Zeke - I Haven't Worn Down Yet

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Let it be known. While it may be a good idea to reduce the workload on Zeke; it is not Zeke that is requesting a reduction in touches. Thoughts

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ackfield-workload-2019-nfl-season/3688834002/

Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott hasn’t asked for a workload reduction.

His coaches have indicated they’ll reduce his carries anyway.

“It’s just physics,” running backs coach Gary Brown said last week at rookie minicamp. “Year after year with that type of workload, eventually anyone’s going to slow down. We’re trying to preempt that and take care of him now.”

The Cowboys offense will continue to hinge on run-first principles under first-year coordinator Kellen Moore. Moore wants to instill more versatility, but still play to Dallas’ strength of Elliott, a powerful offensive line and a dual-threat quarterback in Dak Prescott. Coaches plan for rookie Tony Pollard, their fourth-round selection out of Memphis, to play beside Elliott and spell the all-pro talent more than backups did his first three seasons. The goal: Keep Elliott fresh for December, January and “February if we get to the Super Bowl,” Brown said.

Elliott doesn’t want to slow.

“I haven’t worn down yet,” he said Wednesday
, before he returned to chase veteran Sean Lee around the ballpark of the team’s annual charity fundraiser.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Running backs often need enough carries to get going and coaches need to give them that opportunity. This can be hard because how do you take your most important offensive weapon off the field for a backup?

InTheZone

Reaction score
Cowboys knew they killed Barber's career and pretty much ran Murray into the ground in one season. They just need to say something to make it seem like they really care about Elliott long term. Time will tell if they're true to their plan.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He's nearing a new contract (sooner than you folks think), of course he's going to say he hasn't worn down yet. What do you expect him to say?

The simple fact is, Zeke doesn't have that homerun speed he had his rookie season. That drama before and during the 2017 season must have thrown him off his workout routine, because he simply didn't return the same. Until I see him breaking off runs longer than 40 yards, he has worn down - as minor as you may say, it's there.

As for everyone here pretending he's the next Smith when it comes to durability, there have been countless RBs that have come into the league since Smith retired and we all thought they had a shot at being the next great durable back, and then those RBs hit a wall. Happened to LT, Peterson, Jackson, Alexander, etc.

Let's just hope we can get 2 more highly productive years from Zeke before we trade him away.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
If you draft a RB with the 4th overall pick and he's productive, run him until the wheels fall off.

If you draft an RB 4th overall (dumb), you would hope they last more than 4-5 years in the league. The fact you guys think he needs 600 touches a year to be productive is actually a criticism of Zeke without you guys realizing it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
As a fan, I want Zeke on the field as much as possible. As a human being, well, my favorite player of all time is not a Cowboy. My favorite player of all time is Earl Campbell. I watched Earl give it up every season, every game, every snap. Nobody ever played harder or with more heart then Earl Campbell. For a period of 4 to 5 years, he was the best football player I've ever seen, on either side of the ball. It's not an easy position to play, physically, and it takes it's toll. I don't want to see that happen to Zeke so I would rather see him get spelled and have fewer carries. I don't want to see him end up like Earl, in pain all the time, hardly able to walk, that's a tough way to live for the rest of your life.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He's nearing a new contract (sooner than you folks think), of course he's going to say he hasn't worn down yet. What do you expect him to say?

The simple fact is, Zeke doesn't have that homerun speed he had his rookie season. That drama before and during the 2017 season must have thrown him off his workout routine, because he simply didn't return the same. Until I see him breaking off runs longer than 40 yards, he has worn down - as minor as you may say, it's there.

As for everyone here pretending he's the next Smith when it comes to durability, there have been countless RBs that have come into the league since Smith retired and we all thought they had a shot at being the next great durable back, and then those RBs hit a wall. Happened to LT, Peterson, Jackson, Alexander, etc.

Let's just hope we can get 2 more highly productive years from Zeke before we trade him away.
If he'd stop looking for contact, it'd improve his durability, but that doesn't seem to be his mindset.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Cowboys knew they killed Barber's career and pretty much ran Murray into the ground in one season. They just need to say something to make it seem like they really care about Elliott long term. Time will tell if they're true to their plan.

Barber refusing to just go out and bounds and fighting for every yard which lead to several injuries that included Thigh, toe and knee. As for Murray he had been dealing with knee injuries dating back to OU and dealt with injuries in Dallas. Zeke has not had to deal with injuries, which was the same case for Emmitt whom Dallas ran a lot but he was able to maintain his health and that lead to a long and productive career.