Zeke - I Haven't Worn Down Yet

Dre11

Reaction score
They're doing the right thing, they want Zeke. Of course Zeke wants the rock , he's a competitor. But they want him around as long as possible.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Barber refusing to just go out and bounds and fighting for every yard which lead to several injuries that included Thigh, toe and knee. As for Murray he had been dealing with knee injuries dating back to OU and dealt with injuries in Dallas. Zeke has not had to deal with injuries, which was the same case for Emmitt whom Dallas ran a lot but he was able to maintain his health and that lead to a long and productive career.
You're right about Barber, I was referring to the cowboys rushing him back to the field from these serious injuries that kill longevity. All those lower leg injuries and never being healed is no good for any nfl player.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Zeke is not Emmitt and that's kinda the problem. If he were, I wouldn't really worry too much about it. Fact is, Emmitt was as good at avoiding that kill shot from defenders as any back I've ever seen. That is not something that Zeke has or does. He is not as physical as some backs I've seen but he is plenty physical and he does go out of his way to initiate contract. It's only a matter of time before that catches up to him. It's just how the game works unfortunately.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
If you draft an RB 4th overall (dumb), you would hope they last more than 4-5 years in the league. The fact you guys think he needs 600 touches a year to be productive is actually a criticism of Zeke without you guys realizing it.
How is it a fact I want 600 carries a year out of Elliott when I literally never said, posted or even thought that?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You're right about Barber, I was referring to the cowboys rushing him back to the field from these serious injuries that kill longevity. All those lower leg injuries and never being healed is no good for any nfl player.

I agree that it is the injuries over time that add up to slow RB down. Most carries in a season by Zeke was 322, Emmitt Smith had 5 season well above 322 carries in a season and several that were in around 300 carries in a season. Health was never an issue with Emmitt. I don't see Dallas wearing Zeke out or over doing it with the run. He is a featured RB and he is going to get his carries which at this point is an avg of 21.7 carries a game. With Barber I don't know how much of it was rushing him back he was not a featured back he shared his carries with guys like Julius Jones and carry wise never had more than 238 in a season but his style of running and the injuries did take their toll

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Zeke is not Emmitt and that's kinda the problem. If he were, I wouldn't really worry too much about it. Fact is, Emmitt was as good at avoiding that kill shot from defenders as any back I've ever seen. That is not something that Zeke has or does. He is not as physical as some backs I've seen but he is plenty physical and he does go out of his way to initiate contract. It's only a matter of time before that catches up to him. It's just how the game works unfortunately.

Emmitt did not avoid that many shots hell he had a dislocated shoulder and took 11 straight hand offs with it vs NY. Emmitt was no wall flower nor did he had outstanding speed and would lower a shoulder on a defender to finish off the run. I can't say when or if Zeke will deal with injuries but thus far in his career in college and in the pros injuries have not been an issue for him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Emmitt did not avoid that many shots hell he had a dislocated shoulder and took 11 straight hand offs with it vs NY. Emmitt was no wall flower nor did he had outstanding speed and would lower a shoulder on a defender to finish off the run. I can't say when or if Zeke will deal with injuries but thus far in his career in college and in the pros injuries have not been an issue for him.

Yeah Dooms, he did. I recall the Giants game and all that lead up to that and I'm not saying that Emmitt never took a shot. However, there is no question, at all, that Emmitt was able to avoid a lot of shots in his career because he would make people miss. His entire career, he was able to do this. Zeke does not do this and there is no way, IMO, that Zeke lasts as long as Emmitt did. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it but I'm not.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I love how people complain about Zeke tapping out of games. Dude handled what was easily the largest workload in football last year (about a game's worth more touches than any other RB) and people say he doesn't take enough snaps?

If the dude needs a breather, the dude needs a breather. Give him 2 plays and he'll be right back in there. He'll still get his 25 touches for that game, don't worry.

"But he's a #4 pick, #4 pick RBs should never leave the game!"

Dude got used more than #2 pick Saquon Barkley and #8 pick Christian McCaffrey, so I don't know what to tell you.

"But Emmitt would stay in!"

If you're comparing Zeke to Emmitt here, I don't want to see you posting in the "cut Zeke" threads later, lol.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah Dooms, he did. I recall the Giants game and all that lead up to that and I'm not saying that Emmitt never took a shot. However, there is no question, at all, that Emmitt was able to avoid a lot of shots in his career because he would make people miss. His entire career, he was able to do this. Zeke does not do this and there is no way, IMO, that Zeke lasts as long as Emmitt does. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it but I'm not.

I don't know how long Zeke will last I do know he will run out of bounds at times and avoid the hit. Fact that Emmitt lasted as long he did there was no way to predict that. Meantime the work load he is getting which avs 21 carries a game I don't think it over use at all and as for his production I think that will go hand in hand with his health. People love telling me about all backs that ran x amount of time who had short careers but what they fail to mention is the injuries that did their career in or off the field issues. Had little to do with the carries it has everything to do with health of the player

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't know how long Zeke will last I do know he will run out of bounds at times and avoid the hit. Fact that Emmitt lasted as long he did there was no way to predict that. Meantime the work load he is getting which avs 21 carries a game I don't think it over use at all and as for his production I think that will go hand in hand with his health. People love telling me about all backs that ran x amount of time who had short careers but what they fail to mention is the injuries that did their career in or off the field issues. Had little to do with the carries it has everything to do with health of the player

An interesting post but what does it have to do with limiting the carries of Zeke? The discussion around health was really about Zeke's answer and the associated comments in the article. Zeke is not the best judge of how many carries he should or should not be getting. He is an investment, plain and simple. The Cowboys are wise to limit his carries.

I agree that Emmitt was unusual. Jimmy, in fact, never thought that Emmitt would last as long as he did and he admitted this in an interview. However, that has nothing to do with the merits of saving Zeke by bringing in a capable back to spell or replace him. There are many reasons why bringing in another guy is a really good idea. I am willing to stand by my earlier statement. If I'm wrong I will admit it.

Last edited:

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I watch all the games, every snap of every game. These supposed unnecessary shots Zeke is taking in my humble opinion is unwarranted and half-assed reporting by fans.

Sure, I’ve seen Zeke lower his helmet and shoulder to absorb impact, have even seen Zeke dish out punishment to would-be tacklers, but it’s not as bad as some in here claim it is. The dude is a transcendent RB and knows what works and doesn’t work. Lol

Just stop!

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Was Zeke the only running back on this roster this whole time? Hmm. So I guess the organization is just trying to have a contingency plan in place in case something happens to Zeke. Cause they could have been resting him if they wanted too. Darius Jackson is no slouch. Right?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Damn, they'll write about anything, he's going to be a 4th year back, not 8th year, and he hasn't set any kind of record for carries or touches.

Reactions: G2

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Simple fact, any time you run the ball in the NFL, you are taking punishment. Unless you go untouched for 7, which is highly unlikely, you are taking punishment. 25 carries a game, 16 games a season and your body hurts, even if you don't get hit much, it hurts. I played RB in HS, not even close to the level of competition these guys are seeing and I hurt till about Tuesday every week. This unwarranted business you speak of is simply not true. Zeke hurts and I guarantee that. The "dude" is a human being that has a lot of talent and can play some football but he is still just a human being and his body is not superhuman. He does get worn down, he does feel pain, his body does weaken over the course of a season. The hits do mount up. No amount of denial will change that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
An interesting post but what does it have to do with limiting the carries of Zeke? The discussion around health was really about Zeke's answer and the associated comments in the article. Zeke is not the best judge of how many carries he should or should not be getting. He is an investment, plain and simple. The Cowboys are wise to limit his carries.

I agree that Emmitt was unusual. Jimmy, in fact, never thought that Emmitt would last as long as he did and he admitted this in an interview. However, that has nothing to do with the merits of saving Zeke by bringing in a capable back to spell or replace him. There are many reasons why bringing in another guy is a really good idea. I am willing to stand by my earlier statement. If I'm wrong I will admit it.

It has to do with great backs need carries and tend to get stronger as a game wears on. Yes he is an investment he is also as Stephen put it the straw that stirs the drink. I do think being more efficient in the passing game will help open space for the running game but you always want the ball in the hands of your playmakers that includes Cooper but also a big portion in carries and reception is Zeke.

As for admitting being wrong, you got 12 more years considering Zeke has only played in 3 seasons while Smith played 15 years

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Simple fact, any time you run the ball in the NFL, you are taking punishment. Unless you go untouched for 7, which is highly unlikely, you are taking punishment. 25 carries a game, 16 games a season and your body hurts, even if you don't get hit much, it hurts. I played RB in HS, not even close to the level of competition these guys are seeing and I hurt till about Tuesday every week. This unwarranted business you speak of is simply not true. Zeke hurts and I guarantee that. The "dude" is a human being that has a lot of talent and can play some football but he is still just a human being and his body is not superhuman. He does get worn down, he does feel pain, his body does weaken over the course of a season. The hits do mount up. No amount of denial will change that.

and you play if for 4 month then off for 8 months. Clearly keeping yourself in shape is a big portion of a players longevity and some luck in terms of injury. Hell I have seen guys blow out a knee in a non contract drill in camp.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Let it be known. While it may be a good idea to reduce the workload on Zeke; it is not Zeke that is requesting a reduction in touches. Thoughts

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ackfield-workload-2019-nfl-season/3688834002/

Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott hasn’t asked for a workload reduction.

His coaches have indicated they’ll reduce his carries anyway.

“It’s just physics,” running backs coach Gary Brown said last week at rookie minicamp. “Year after year with that type of workload, eventually anyone’s going to slow down. We’re trying to preempt that and take care of him now.”

The Cowboys offense will continue to hinge on run-first principles under first-year coordinator Kellen Moore. Moore wants to instill more versatility, but still play to Dallas’ strength of Elliott, a powerful offensive line and a dual-threat quarterback in Dak Prescott. Coaches plan for rookie Tony Pollard, their fourth-round selection out of Memphis, to play beside Elliott and spell the all-pro talent more than backups did his first three seasons. The goal: Keep Elliott fresh for December, January and “February if we get to the Super Bowl,” Brown said.

Elliott doesn’t want to slow.

“I haven’t worn down yet,” he said Wednesday
, before he returned to chase veteran Sean Lee around the ballpark of the team’s annual charity fundraiser.

You know what I like about broccoli... nothing. You know what I like about Zeke... everything, the fact that he wants the ball most of all. Feed that freak ewok!