Zeke - I Haven't Worn Down Yet

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I want someone here to list me the amount of RBs that had 300+ carries a year and lasted a long time in the NFL. I bet you we have to go back to the 90s or pre-90s to find those guys.

I can tell you right now, if you want Zeke to have that many carries every season, we can stop the "He's a HOF" talk right now because he won't rack up the numbers to be anywhere remotely close to the HOF discussion.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
How is it a fact I want 600 carries a year out of Elliott when I literally never said, posted or even thought that?

Tell me what "running Zeke into the ground" means? 600 is an obvious exaggeration.

Tell me how many touches a year you want Zeke to have, 300+ on the ground and 50-70 catches? That's a crap ton of touches for a single player outside of the QB.

Zeke should be able to produce on 250-260 carries. We are in a league where you can build around a two back system, multiple teams do this - there is no reason for him to be touching the ball as much as he has. He's certainly not scoring a ton.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tell me what "running Zeke into the ground" means? 600 is an obvious exaggeration.

Tell me how many touches a year you want Zeke to have, 300+ on the ground and 50-70 catches? That's a crap ton of touches for a single player outside of the QB.

Zeke should be able to produce on 250-260 carries. We are in a league where you can build around a two back system, multiple teams do this - there is no reason for him to be touching the ball as much as he has. He's certainly not scoring a ton.
In a two back system, which I do like, a team doesn't need to pay one of them 15M a season.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It has to do with great backs need carries and tend to get stronger as a game wears on. Yes he is an investment he is also as Stephen put it the straw that stirs the drink. I do think being more efficient in the passing game will help open space for the running game but you always want the ball in the hands of your playmakers that includes Cooper but also a big portion in carries and reception is Zeke.

As for admitting being wrong, you got 12 more years considering Zeke has only played in 3 seasons while Smith played 15 years

Great backs need to be used but they don't need to be overused. Not only does it shorten their careers but it underminds the Offense, should you be fortunate enough to make the playoffs. You want your playmakers to make plays, that's true but you also want them to be on the field at times in the season when it is most important to make those kinds of plays. Zeke is a great player but he's not the only back that can stir the drink, so to speak. If Stephen said this, then I fear he is an idiot. You don't spend the kind of capital and resources we have spent, as an organization, on the OL so that we can be completely reliant on one player, one RB.

Dooms, I don't think we have 12 years with Zeke. I've seen a lot of backs and he is not one of those guys IMO. I think we may have 3 to 4 more very productive years and then I think we see diminishing returns.
JMO

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Great backs need to be used but they don't need to be overused. Not only does it shorten their careers but it underminds the Offense, should you be fortunate enough to make the playoffs. You want your playmakers to make plays, that's true but you also want them to be on the field at times in the season when it is most important to make those kinds of plays. Zeke is a great player but he's not the only back that can stir the drink, so to speak. If Stephen said this, then I fear he is an idiot. You don't spend the kind of capital and resources we have spent, as an organization, on the OL so that we can be completely reliant on one player, one RB.

Dooms, I don't think we have 12 years with Zeke. I've seen a lot of backs and he is not one of those guys IMO. I think we may have 3 to 4 more very productive years and then I think we see diminishing returns.
JMO

Yes you want him post season but 1st you got to get there. I think he will stay around that 20 to 21 carries avg. I don't see that as excessive especially late in the games where you are trying to eat up the clock to seal a win.

We may not have him 12 years not saying that I am say we don't know. You and I can predict all day and we don't know. Injuries clearly pay a major part as well as the desire to play which of course entails keeping yourself in condition. I think a big part for Smith was he was very goal driven both team and individual goals he set for himself early in his career. I can't sit here today and say Zeke will still be play x number of years. What I can say is I hope to see his contract with the Cowboys extended because I don't think Zeke is close to being done or over used at this stage

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
and you play if for 4 month then off for 8 months. Clearly keeping yourself in shape is a big portion of a players longevity and some luck in terms of injury. Hell I have seen guys blow out a knee in a non contract drill in camp.

Not if you are doing it right. Training camp starts in July, Pre-season in August and then you are right into the Regular Season. You hope that you are playing in January and better yet, for a Super Bowl, so into February. If you are doing it right, lets say a little over 6 months.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Not if you are doing it right. Training camp starts in July, Pre-season in August and then you are right into the Regular Season. You hope that you are playing in January and better yet, for a Super Bowl, so into February. If you are doing it right, lets say a little over 6 months.

As we know he will not see much contact in camp or playing time during the pre season. He is not trying to make the team which is why Johnson hardly played Smith during the pre season there was no need. For the most part he will not see any major contact until Sept.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yes you want him post season but 1st you got to get there. I think he will stay around that 20 to 21 carries avg. I don't see that as excessive especially late in the games where you are trying to eat up the clock to seal a win.

We may not have him 12 years not saying that I am say we don't know. You and I can predict all day and we don't know. Injuries clearly pay a major part as well as the desire to play which of course entails keeping yourself in condition. I think a big part for Smith was he was very goal driven both team and individual goals he set for himself early in his career. I can't sit here today and say Zeke will still be play x number of years. What I can say is I hope to see his contract with the Cowboys extended because I don't think Zeke is close to being done or over used at this stage

Exactly my point, you gotta get there so you want him around. What better reason to go out and get a capable backup, who can step in and pick up the slack, then that right there?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Of course Zeke said that.

What RB worth his salt is gonna say “guys, I neeeeed help!!!!”

mattjames2010

Reaction score
In a two back system, which I do like, a team doesn't need to pay one of them 15M a season.

Nobody is forcing us to, that's the great thing. If Zeke has a problem with losing touches and not getting paid like he's the next Walter Payton - well, we can always find a team who is willing to do all that for him and get something in return.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yes but they are still backups and you end up losing games because your best is sitting on the bench is not too bright. Zeke is a major part of this offense and will see major playing time, he will get breaks in the game and it is important to have someone come in and give him a rest but you don't win a lot with your playmakers sitting

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
As we know he will not see much contact in camp or playing time during the pre season. He is not trying to make the team which is why Johnson hardly played Smith during the pre season there was no need. For the most part he will not see any major contact until Sept.

But you just finished saying that you've seen players sustain major injury in none contact drills. We both know it can happen. Can't have it both ways Dooms. Bottom line, it's not 4 months, it's closer to 6, even if you say that he isn't playing in Pre-Season, he's still practicing or he better be because the best way to get your star player injured is to throw him out there to start a season after not having them play in TC or Pre-Season. Not gonna find common ground on this one Dooms. There is no reason, I can see, why we would not limit his carries by bringing in a capable backup. We just don't agree here my friend.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yes but they are still backups and you end up losing games because your best is sitting on the bench is not too bright. Zeke is a major part of this offense and will see major playing time, he will get breaks in the game and it is important to have someone come in and give him a rest but you don't win a lot with your playmakers sitting

Again, if you can't make plays with a capable backup, a "30 Million Dollar" QB, Cooper and Gallup and our OL, then your doing it wrong and you may as well start over. There is no excuse for being reliant on one player after having spent the money and resources we have spent on Offense.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
But you just finished saying that you've seen players sustain major injury in none contact drills. We both know it can happen. Can't have it both ways Dooms. Bottom line, it's not 4 months, it's closer to 6, even if you say that he isn't playing in Pre-Season, he's still practicing or he better be because the best way to get your star player injured is to throw him out there to start a season after not having them play in TC or Pre-Season. Not gonna find common ground on this one Dooms. There is no reason, I can see, why we would not limit his carries by bringing in a capable backup. We just don't agree here my friend.

I guess that depends on your version of splitting time. I don't see a situation where the back up ends up getting as many carries as Zeke gets. I do think it is good to give your RB rest within the game I also know you hit that 4th qrt in close game you don't play backups vs top ranked teams. I watched that crap before where coaches where trying to get guys equal carries and in the end no one is doing jack

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Again, if you can't make plays with a capable backup, a "30 Million Dollar" QB, Cooper and Gallup and our OL, then your doing wrong and you may as well start over. There is no excuse for being reliant on one player after having spent the money and resources we have spent on Offense.

I expect Cooper to play a big role on this team, I am not saying run Zeke 60 times a game. I expect backups to play but the majority will be with Zeke.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I guess that depends on your version of splitting time. I don't see a situation where the back up ends up getting as many carries as Zeke gets. I do think it is good to give your RB rest within the game I also know you hit that 4th qrt in close game you don't play backups vs top ranked teams. I watched that crap before where coaches where trying to get guys equal carries and in the end no one is doing jack

Nobody ever said that he would get the same number, or even close, to the same number of carries, certainly not I. I mean, when do you want your horse in the game? You want him in the 4th quarter and you want him facing a tired and beaten down defense. How do you do that? You give him a blow for a series or two during the game and you feed him like he's been starved for a month in the 4th quarter. But you still have to have a capable backup because as you pointed out, you don't want to miss out on opportunities when you get them. Never mind the idea that there is always a chance that you can see your star player go down. In that situation, you gotta have a guy who can step in or you see what we have seen in the past, which is terrible offense. Yeah, I'm all in on a guy who can step in. 100% on that one, for me Dooms.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I expect Cooper to play a big role on this team, I am not saying run Zeke 60 times a game. I expect backups to play but the majority will be with Zeke.

Again, nobody ever said the carries would be split evenly but, that's still not a good excuse for not having a solid backup.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

"Run into the ground" wasn't a literal statement. For someone who puffs their chest on the forum mocking intelligence, you would think you'd be able wrap your head around that.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah Dooms, he did. I recall the Giants game and all that lead up to that and I'm not saying that Emmitt never took a shot. However, there is no question, at all, that Emmitt was able to avoid a lot of shots in his career because he would make people miss. His entire career, he was able to do this. Zeke does not do this and there is no way, IMO, that Zeke lasts as long as Emmitt did. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it but I'm not.
Agreed. Emmitt knew when to duck, turn, stop, or grab a wrist, to avoid direct hits and hard tackles.