Zeke is in no danger of landing on Commissioners Exempt List

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I had been very curious about there being retribution for Zeke filing and winning his injunction specifically Goodell being spiteful and placing Zeke on the Exempt list. I researched the conditions for placing a player on it, and found this zinger:

"The Exempt List is a special player status available to clubs only in unusual circumstances. The List includes those players who have been declared by the Commissioner to be temporarily exempt from counting within the Active List limit. Only the Commissioner has the authority to place a player on the Exempt List; clubs have no such authority, and no exemption, regardless of circumstances, is automatic. The Commissioner also has the authority to determine in advance whether a player's time on the Exempt List will be finite or will continue until the Commissioner deems the exemption should be lifted and the player returned to the Active List. Players must consent before being placed on the list"

we obviously known Zeke would never agree to that, so there goes another ace in the hole that the league could try to use to screw us over. Nothing is stopping the Cowboys this year, the entire league is about to feel our wrath :yourock::yourock:

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Why would anyone consent to that?

It has just recently in the last few years been used for disciplinary matters. Players don't take up a roster spot and they are still paid their full salary while on the Excempt List. So it differs from a suspension because you are still getting paid.

Swanny

Reaction score
It has just recently in the last few years been used for disciplinary matters. Players don't take up a roster spot and they are still paid their full salary while on the Excempt List. So it differs from a suspension because you are still getting paid.
I feel like the club has to agree to it because they are the ones paying the guy to sit and do nothing.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
What on Earth did these people all agree to this insane CBA. They willingly made Goodell Jusge, Jury and Executioner. The more we hear about his power the more absurd it is.
Because a lot of these players are broke and living paycheck to paycheck. A large portion of them aren't playing longer than 3 or 4 years so it makes it very difficult at the negotiating table. Those players aren't prepared to go on strike and miss a season and the owners know that.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I feel like the club has to agree to it because they are the ones paying the guy to sit and do nothing.

Right that makes sense. And the player has to agree because they are the ones who would be missing the whole season and not eligible for reinstatement until Goodell chooses

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I had been very curious about there being retribution for Zeke filing and winning his injunction specifically Goodell being spiteful and placing Zeke on the Exempt list. I researched the conditions for placing a player on it, and found this zinger:

"The Exempt List is a special player status available to clubs only in unusual circumstances. The List includes those players who have been declared by the Commissioner to be temporarily exempt from counting within the Active List limit. Only the Commissioner has the authority to place a player on the Exempt List; clubs have no such authority, and no exemption, regardless of circumstances, is automatic. The Commissioner also has the authority to determine in advance whether a player's time on the Exempt List will be finite or will continue until the Commissioner deems the exemption should be lifted and the player returned to the Active List. Players must consent before being placed on the list"

we obviously known Zeke would never agree to that, so there goes another ace in the hole that the league could try to use to screw us over. Nothing is stopping the Cowboys this year, the entire league is about to feel our wrath :yourock::yourock:

It was used when the TEAM suspended Hardy and Adrian Peterson.

Ghost12

Reaction score
What on Earth did these people all agree to this insane CBA. They willingly made Goodell Jusge, Jury and Executioner. The more we hear about his power the more absurd it is.
This has been in the CBA for about 50 years. It's not a bad system when you have a man of integrity as Commissioner, which the NFL had until 2007. Maybe someday the NFL will return to those days.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
According to something I read, I don't remember where, full disciplinary power is the only thing Goodell cared about in the last CBA negotiation. The players were told that anything that watered that down (independent arbitrators, etc.) was a non-starter. How well the players used that leverage to negotiate other issues, I'm not sure: others have mentioned a couple concessions they did get in the last round. However, the NFLPA has always been the weakest of the major sport players' unions, not least because they haven't historically hung together very well during strikes and lockouts.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It was used when the TEAM suspended Hardy and Adrian Peterson.

It's not a suspension when you are still being paid the whole time. Not to mention the player has to agree to it. And if goodell had said no then it wouldn't have mattered what the team and peterson wanted